StromTrooper banner

Signal coming from crankshaft

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  greywolf 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am making my own computer for V-Strom. I would like to know what signal is generated from crankshaft.
Does anybody already measure this?

I believe there is a Hall effect sensor on crankshaft which generates a specific frequency depends on RPM of engine? But when I went to a garage and measured this with crap multimeter I had signal with Voltage depending on RPM.
Something like 6V at 1k RPM, 10V at 3k RPM which is 2V per 1k RPM.
So a function would be: Vout = 2*RPM + 4. But like I said, it is a crappy multimeter with NO True RMS.

I believe I have measured G/Bl wire.

Best Regards,
Marek

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The Hall effect sensor wires on a 2002 DL1000, which you mentioned in another post, look to be green and blue. On the bike side of the connector, green stays green but blue changes to green with a blue stripe. Regardless of the colors, the voltage generated by the sensor will vary according to the speed the rotor moves by the sensor. The resistance of the sensor coil measured between green and blue should be 130-240 Ohms. The voltage output by the sensor should be more than 3.7V when the engine is cranked with the sensor disconnected from the bike's wiring harness so the engine won't start.

The ECM is not looking for any specific voltage or frequency. The only thing it reads is the passing of the rotor over the sensor to establish the crankshaft position so the ECM knows when to deliver a spark to the spark plugs plus when and how long to open the fuel injectors.

#3 ·
This is rocket surgery...

uncaged

#4 ·
Thanks for your answer. So if these wires are only for knowing when to ignite fuel with spark, then how does it know what RPM it is right now?
Also, as you said ECM does not look for frequency or voltage, but can I collect information from the wire?
Or maybe, can you suggest another way to read live engine RPM?

Best Regards,
Marek

PS. Sorry I didn't provide info about my motorcycle. :)

#5 ·
Thanks for your answer.
I get it, that this signal is not measured by ECM - anyhow, can I measure it and conclude an RPM value?
Or maybe you can propose another wire/signal with which I can calculate my RPM?

Best Regards,
Marek

PS. Sorry for not mentioning anything about my motorcycle in this thread. :)

#6 ·
The tachometer signal is carried over the brown wire with a black stripe. You might need a multiplier to convert the signal to the correct rpm.

#7 ·
Go over on svrider.com or svportal and post what you are doing. The SV engines have a completely different rotor pickup setup ( more than the 4 raised bumps like the DL rotor has ) that might be used for rpm to ECM ( just guessing ) and some have a camshaft sensor that goes to the ECM. Michael Schmidt or Recoil Rob will know about the signals from the SV stuff. Might help you make sense of the DL package.

#8 ·
#9 ·
Thanks guys for all the links and recommendations.

Greywolf, is this signal in brown/black wire an analog signal, isn't it? I have always thought that all the signals that comes out of ECM are digital and not measurable, but as you say it is a good place to take the information - I will try.

#10 ·
The CCS100 cruise control uses a 20k Ohm resistor for noise suppression in the wire connecting to the Br/B wire on the bike. That's the extent of my experience. You can see the manual at http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/docs/cc100_ins.pdf
The blue wire from the servo on the CCS100 reads the tach signal from the Br/B wire on the bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.