StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a set of Givi bars for my Wee. I am waiting to get better screws and replace the ones included with better stuff, but in th emean time I went and put them on.

As I was installing the right side, the small triangular plate that screws in was put on. It was all fine. You are supposed to tighten this last.

So as I put everything on and went to tighten this, the inseart that has a thread started turning. I guess the crimp was not strong enough. I mean I did not even get to really putting some real torque into tightening it!!

So bad news - it is now on the bike but it is not right. I used vice grips to hold it to be able to tigten it at least somewhat.

Good news - I called Givi and they are sending me a replacement.

While that is cool (and I might be able to have someone spot weld this and have a spare side) - I am a bit let down by the quality. Oh well.

·
0 Posts
Shit Happens...but at least they're standing behind their product.

Hopefully the next one will be better...and if not, ask for your money back.

That's what I'd do...
I'm just sayin...
BTD.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
So I bought a set of Givi bars for my Wee. I am waiting to get better screws and replace the ones included with better stuff, but in th emean time I went and put them on.

As I was installing the right side, the small triangular plate that screws in was put on. It was all fine. You are supposed to tighten this last.

So as I put everything on and went to tighten this, the inseart that has a thread started turning. I guess the crimp was not strong enough. I mean I did not even get to really putting some real torque into tightening it!!

So bad news - it is now on the bike but it is not right. I used vice grips to hold it to be able to tigten it at least somewhat.

Good news - I called Givi and they are sending me a replacement.

While that is cool (and I might be able to have someone spot weld this and have a spare side) - I am a bit let down by the quality. Oh well.

Not sure if I would call that good news, your money back would have been better, then you could spring for motechs!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure if I would call that good news, your money back would have been better, then you could spring for motechs!
I specifically looked for Givis, and will mount a Vstroma skidplate (Motech copy). I dunno. Reealy wanted to have something around the plastic up there. I figured I'd drop it sooner or later, that plastic is really plasticky!!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I specifically looked for Givis, and will mount a Vstroma skidplate (Motech copy). I dunno. Reealy wanted to have something around the plastic up there. I figured I'd drop it sooner or later, that plastic is really plasticky!!
I hear that, just comes as a surprise that I read so many failures on the Givi bars before they even crash. Welds cracking, crimp fittings?, kind of makes one wonder what will happen if you ever really test them out.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
You left out vibration.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
As others have noted here, Givi tends to powder coat EVERYTHING and this includes threads. If you don't clean the powder coating out of the threads the bolts are going to be VERY tight. An old brass gun bore cleaning brush chucked in a drill will clean out the threads. An even better way is to get a tap of the proper size and run through the threads to clean them out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts