StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered this in my rear Tourance last time I did a chain lube:

I couldn't tell if it had punctured through the inner tire and was worried to pull it out since getting a plug into it didn't seem possible. But i took a chance, and pushed it through the rest of the way (least resistance) and pressure has been holding. I'm worried now about the integrity as it wears though... only have about 2.5k on this tire. Anyone experienced with this kind of tread damage?

·
Registered
615 Posts
IMHO - A new tire would be cheap insurance against a busted leg/arm etc. If it was a car with 4 wheels, I may run the tire for a while, but you only have two contact patches. In a hard left turn at speed... Whatever you choose, good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I agree with vinnyvavoom. I run Tourance tires too, and while i love em & impressed at how you managed to get that embedded at that steep angle, I'd replace it.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Keep an eye out for separation, but you should be fine. It's the core laminates underneath that are vulnerable.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
+ 1 The tire is fine like Cryoman said just keep an eye on it ....If you take it off send it to me, I would run it ....:serious:

Reactions: OrangeGypsy

·
Registered
359 Posts
I would order the new tire, then decide once I got the new tire about running the one you have. Having the replacement takes some of the $ feelings out of the decision. You may find it to be stable and useable, or you may have that gut feeling to replace it. From the picture it is a tough call. Me, I would probably run it some since I do lots of slab, but wouldn't be running it in the twisters pushing it hard. I don't push it hard anyways though.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I have no shortage of regards for safety and I've already got a new set of tires in the garage (bought for the good deal, before this happened).

When I first found it, I inspected the hell out of it and indeed marveled at the orthogonal angle. It looks like a 2" wood screw, the head is flattened flush with the tire (you can probably see this from the pic), so I could have ridden with it in there for a couple hundred miles if I picked it up right after my previous chain cleaning / tire inspection... definitely reinforces my regards for the guys/gals at Metzeler.

Since I worked it out, I've ridden another tank on slab at LA freeway speeds (crawl to 85 mph), no detectable loss of pressure. I feel reasonably OK with running it to about half the tread which for me will occur around 6-7k, then I may change it out of principle.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I'd run it. I'd also inject some rubber cement into the hole it left to keep it from chafing.

·
Registered
469 Posts
You are screwed! Sorry, someone needed to say it.
>:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts