StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kick stand. the Kickstand on the Wee sucks. The one on my DRZ-400 is great. But the one on the Wee doesn't go over center far enough to stay locked down. Park downhill and the bike will roll a little, and up goes the side stand, down goes the bike. So is the answer to shave a little off the stop, or a stronger spring?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Park the bike in gear and it won't roll.

·
Registered
483 Posts
The Master said:
Park the bike in gear and it won't roll.
+1, and if you're especially paranoid, carry a velcro strap and use it on the brake lever to hold the front brake.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kick stand. the Kickstand on the Wee sucks. The one on my DRZ-400 is great. But the one on the Wee doesn't go over center far enough to stay locked down. Park downhill and the bike will roll a little, and up goes the side stand, down goes the bike. So is the answer to shave a little off the stop, or a stronger spring?
I was thinking about shaving a little off the stop. Yes I parked in gear, but still thought it wasn't very stable.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Lay the bike down in the street on the assumption that it would have fallen over anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
I like my sidestand more since installing a kickstand foot from touratech. I haven't felt the need to shave any off yet, but I have confidence parking in conditions that I couldn't park in without it. Has anyone put a stronger spring in their sidestand?

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Lay the bike down in the street on the assumption that it would have fallen over anyway.
:D that has to be my favorite.

In all seriousness unless other parking is way too far away I would find a flat place to park.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The first one fell over a couple of times so I shaved a bit off the stop on this one. It's much more secure. Somebody bumping the bike from the rear is enough to make it topple over. Really doesn't take all the much of a bump either.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
You can always use a centre stand.

SS

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Since I put the 1" raising links on the Strom, parking on the side stand is a nervous activity at best. The bike seems to lean way over. I usually have to be very picky and find an uphil parking spot.

But, I have never worried about the stand not locking in place....and certainly...always park in gear.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've read some great tips on this thread. But I have a question about my centerstand. I have a Hepco & Becker on my Wee. I really like how it works. With the bike on the center stand and my side cases installed, I can't swing my leg over to mount. So I stand with my left foot on the left peg, stand up and thrust my my right foot on over. This has been working fine.

1) Is there a better way?

2) I have this fear that if I'm on a slight slope from right down to left, that the bike might tip over to the left while I'm standing up high during this manuever. Should I be worried?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've read some great tips on this thread. But I have a question about my centerstand. I have a Hepco & Becker on my Wee. I really like how it works. With the bike on the center stand and my side cases installed, I can't swing my leg over to mount. So I stand with my left foot on the left peg, stand up and thrust my my right foot on over. This has been working fine.

1) Is there a better way?

2) I have this fear that if I'm on a slight slope from right down to left, that the bike might tip over to the left while I'm standing up high during this manuever. Should I be worried?
If I am parked on the center stand I always stand on the left peg and stand then swing my right over, even on my SE. If I have it on the side stand I hike my right leg up and grasp my pants-leg with my right hand and assist over that way. Also keeps me from kicking swmbo while she is sitting on the queen seat. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Since I put the 1" raising links on the Strom, parking on the side stand is a nervous activity at best. The bike seems to lean way over. I usually have to be very picky and find an uphil parking spot.

But, I have never worried about the stand not locking in place....and certainly...always park in gear.
Cut a 4"x4" scrap of 3/4" plywood to use as a plate below the side stand foot, keep it in the tank bag or a luggage box. Gets the bike back up 3/4", gives 1/4" more tilt than it had to begin with, and in the end should be about perfect.

And always in gear.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts