StromTrooper banner

Side stand..too upright?

1467 17
New Strom guy here..coming from a Valkyrie that maybe leaned a bit too much..anybody find the side stand puts her too upright?
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi Backatter, unless your bike has been lowered that is the first time I hear that comment, usually people (like myself) complain it leans too much. Lots of ideas here on how to make it more upright. Perhaps enclose a picture to compare with others. I btw have 2013 Wee and it leans more than any bike I've owned before but comparing to other Wee's it looks about the same..

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
Turn the handle bars one way or the other to see if you are more comfortable with it

·
Registered
997 Posts
From first glance it seems it does sit more upright than either of my Wee's. Maybe its been lowered?
Nice red paint job!

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
10,839 Posts
The first mod I did to my DL650 was to grind a little off the bracket against which the sidestand rests. I thought that the stand was a little too right angle for my liking and the bike might roll off it.
Perhaps not all sidestands are equal.
I would not remove a sidestand accessory foot if you have one. They are invaluable on soft ground.

·
Vendor
7,455 Posts
Check the dog bones in the rear shock linkage for markings. The stock links have 06G etched on them. If they have a three-digit number like 150, 148, or 147 the bike has a lowering link on it. Other types include links with multiple holes and adjustable links with threaded rods and nuts.

Adjustable side stands are available from $20 to $150.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Just for reference. Here's the amount of lean on my stock 2012 DL1000.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Here's the kickstand mod I did, for different reasons, but it also made the bike to lean a bit more then the OE... so two improvements in one mod (y)

Reactions: Brockie

·
Registered
2015 DL650XA
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good morning, ok so moving forward with my new to me 2015 Vstrom 650AX....been reading a bunch of posts (awesome site by the way) acquainting myself with the bike, trying to find a BASE camp while learning. I previously asked about the bike being a bit upright on side stand..one of the replies was ..has it been lowered causing the more upright position. So three coffees in this morning and after some more reading I went out to the garage and pulled the cover and had a look...found adjustable "dog bones" which indicate to me...it's been lowered or raised. I checked the position of the fork tubes and they seem to be in the stock position. My bike has a saddleman adventure seat (very comfy)... I was able to put a few hours on the bike before tucking her away for winter (1270 kms) and found it very comfortable to ride in the current configuration. OK, so...adjustable dog bones (good thing or bad?) I measured 155 mm center of bolt to center of bolt (so yes lowered?) and then by how much? ( don't say 15 lol I mean overall seat height? Would it be possible the addition of the saddleman seat caused the bike to be to tall in stock form so lowered the suspension? Thanks in advance for any helpful feed back. When ya can't ride ya tinker, it's a new toy thing, friggin winter, lol.
Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Gas Bumper
Office ruler Wood Ruler Engineering Metal

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
10,839 Posts
Those are non OEM adjustable dog bones set to lower your rear suspension.

With OEM front suspension height and lowered rear your bike must feel odd to ride. Riders have found that the bike becomes nimbler by sliding the forks up into the triple clamps 12- 15mm to lower the front. Lowering the rear only will have the opposite effect.

Why not see if you can adjust those adjustable dog bones to restore the rear height to the OEM 140mm? Raising the dog bone length lowers the rear, and vice versa.

IMO in its present state your DL650 will handle very oddly and be slow to react to your input.

·
Registered
2015 DL650XA
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good afternoon team! So tinker time... I adjusted the Soupy's adjustable bones from the 155 mm to 145 center to center, I'm still good leg length/foot comfortable with floor, bike lean on side stand vastly improved!! so yes "Rosie" had been lowered. We were graced with 10 degrees Sunday so after some chores, took her out for a scoot. Couple hours, some paved, some gravel....as stated before, bike handles awesome. I'm still getting used to riding a 650 Vstrom adventure bike (riding position/475lbs vs Honda Valkyrie, BIG cruiser near 800 lbs)...so there is probably a distinct improvement raising the rear to stock position as Brockie advised, I'm just not that used to the bike it's self yet to be able to notice suttle differences. I feel lucky that the previous owner used quality adjustable "bones" which allowed me to adjust back. Another bonus for me is the saddleman adventure seat, it's wicked comfortable and I believe higher than stock and probably the reason or added to the need to lower. Anyway, adjusted back I'm still good leg length wise, so it was a little low for me anyway. Fixed!! I ordered the fork brace and mirror extenders from Adventuretech. Bunch of reading indicates minimal improvement adding the brace but any improvement at that price point is a win in my book. Good reviews on adding the mirror extenders too so ok. I think I'm done. "Rosies" tidied back up and back under her cover tender on. Weather here in my area has not become real winter yet, no snow, no big salting so if ma nature throws another bonus day in the mix...you all know whats gonna happen, cheers to all to provided feed back, helps!
Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Helmet

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
10,839 Posts
When winter disappears and you get a feel for the bike and would like it even a little more nimble, try sliding the fork legs up in the triple clamps by 10-15mm.
That will reduce the rake and trail even further, making the handling a little quicker and less ponderous.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts