StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I did do some searching on this and found various info but none specific to my quest.

I have a slight concern about the amount of 'play' in side stand from when it is fully extended to when it has full bike weight upon it, which sees it extend outwards a considerable bit.

My concern is that there may be undue wear placed upon components here and in absence of centre stand a failure is a major problem on a trip.

My searching found people trying to reduce travel, insert washers etc....

I'm not actually bothered about the travel after weight added, but more so ..

IS IT NORMAL ??

If it is normal then fine, but should we be watching it/monitoring it/replacing bolt when travel reaches 'x' assuming its possibly worn the bolt through?

Any info be appreciated,

Might be worth noting, I have the official Suzuki workshop manual and cant find reference to it in there? (it may be there, I just cant find it referred to?)

Thanks

·
Registered
389 Posts
Mine has a little play from where it's fully extended to when the bike is fully rested. I don't worry about it too much as long as I don't rest it on soft grass or very un-even surface.:yesnod:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Movement/Play in the side stand is perfectly normal. I disassembled mine just to checkout this very issue. The hole in which the kickstand bolt and bushing are inserted is elongated to allow for this movement. Mine moves about 3/8 of an inch. Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
773 Posts
The play existed on my original side stand, as well as on my Soupy's adjustable side stand. Have to believe this was designed in.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Just as a side note, but I've been riding for @ 35 years and I can remember when side stands used to have a 'lock' (for want of a better word) that would keep the side stand, while in the lowered position, from moving in case the bike rolled forward and off the stand. Is my mind playing tricks on me or does anyone else recall this very simple design that no longer exists?

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
ok I did do some searching on this and found various info but none specific to my quest.

I have a slight concern about the amount of 'play' in side stand from when it is fully extended to when it has full bike weight upon it, which sees it extend outwards a considerable bit.

My concern is that there may be undue wear placed upon components here and in absence of centre stand a failure is a major problem on a trip.

My searching found people trying to reduce travel, insert washers etc....

I'm not actually bothered about the travel after weight added, but more so ..

IS IT NORMAL ??

If it is normal then fine, but should we be watching it/monitoring it/replacing bolt when travel reaches 'x' assuming its possibly worn the bolt through?

Any info be appreciated,

Might be worth noting, I have the official Suzuki workshop manual and cant find reference to it in there? (it may be there, I just cant find it referred to?)

Thanks
I went through all of that on my 2006. I even ordered a new side stand and bolt to "fix it" with no change. Then I ordered a new bracket with no change. Then I bought an almost new 2011 with the same results. Apparently the fact is, there's some built in slack even when brand new.

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
Just as a side note, but I've been riding for @ 35 years and I can remember when side stands used to have a 'lock' (for want of a better word) that would keep the side stand, while in the lowered position, from moving in case the bike rolled forward and off the stand. Is my mind playing tricks on me or does anyone else recall this very simple design that no longer exists?

HD has a stand like that. I'm not aware of others.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Then I bought an almost new 2011 with the same results...
Whole new bike just because of sidestand doubts???????????????? :green_lol::green_lol::green_lol::green_lol:

Just joking... Sorry, couldn't help it!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I haven't noticed a lot of play, but I've experienced how easy it is to retract side stand while moving around the bike...

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Whole new bike just because of sidestand doubts???????????????? :green_lol::green_lol::green_lol::green_lol:

Just joking... Sorry, couldn't help it!
I wanted one with ABS. But the sidestand on the near new bike still had the play in it. Just part of the design I guess.:yesnod:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts