StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing a Happy Trails skid plate on my 2011 Wee. What is the correct torque on the side stand bolts? The instructions that came with the skid plate state 72.5 ft/lbs. Is this correct?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Installing a Happy Trails skid plate on my 2011 Wee. What is the correct torque on the side stand bolts? The instructions that came with the skid plate state 72.5 ft/lbs. Is this correct?
That is the spec but it does seem high.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Let us know how the skid plate mounts - any issues, etc. Glad you posted this. Ordered the same skid plate for the 2011 - shipped from Happy Trails, so it should be in during the next couple of days....:thumbup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The hardest part of the installation was breaking the side stand mounting bolts. I used a heat gun and was able (with some effort) to break the bolts. I could only get my torque wrench on the forward bolt, so I just guesstamated the rear. Other than that pretty simple.:headbang:

·
Registered
672 Posts
I just took mine of to grind down the stops due to lowereing bike a tad. No problem getting the holding nut nor the bolt to break free. 72 Ft lbs seems very high to me also. I tightened them up to real tight and used loc tight blue on the bolt and also nut. Will check occasionally to make sure bolt and nut stay tight. If they don't perhaps I will use either loc tight green or red, or perhaps I will get out my toque wrench:oops:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts