Strom Trooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kickstand has become stiff (I'm thinking it wasn't lubed at installation?). What is the preferred method of lubing the stand pivot, simply squirt it with oil or remove the bolt and lube properly with grease?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've been using WD-40. Seems to be working fine.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
My kickstand has become stiff (I'm thinking it wasn't lubed at installation?). What is the preferred method of lubing the stand pivot, simply squirt it with oil or remove the bolt and lube properly with grease?

I spray it with some brake cleaner to clean off the gunk.

Chain lube to lube the pivot.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I use a spray lithium grease in the pivot point. ~$4 a can from Home Depot or lowes. Put the bike on the center stand, clean associated gunk off of the surrounding area with cleaner of your choice. Spray into the pivot point from the left and right side of the bike while exercising the side stand up and down. Wipe off excess. The grease stays in the joint longer than an oil. I suppose a thick, wax/moly chain lube would work as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Thanks all. Yet another vehicular project for next weekend.

I've got spray teflon chain lube but the only grease I have requires an applicator (such as a finger . . .)

If I pull the mounting bolt to access the inside of the stand shaft will I have issues with the springs?

I like this because it is clear. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XBH9HI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yes, you will have to figure out how to get them back connected, but it can be done. I used a needle nosed vice grips. and as far as lubing, I'd say anything, as it will get gumed up, washed away and over and over again.
Guess I should ask why you are going to take it apart, hopefully not to lube.
Have fun,

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Yes, you will have to figure out how to get them back connected, but it can be done. I used a needle nosed vice grips. and as far as lubing, I'd say anything, as it will get gumed up, washed away and over and over again.
Guess I should ask why you are going to take it apart, hopefully not to lube.
Have fun,
A lot can go wrong trying to get that bolt out. I would not touch it unless I absolutely had to. Use the advise given and lube from the outside. It's just a simple pivot and should not need much to make it move.

·
Super Moderator
4,926 Posts
Don't use pliers unless you feel like getting stabbed with the end of a spring - or lose skin on some sharp motorcycle bracket. Ask me how I know.
If you feel that you HAVE to remove your stand I have in the past replaced the side stand by first connecting the springs and then forcing the pivot end into its recess, then get the bolt back in.
A few weeks back both my stands got a few squirts of WD40. Problem solved.

·
Premium Member
7,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Checked it out this weekend and there was that nice powdering of rust. A spritz or two of Teflon chain lube and it is fine for now. Don't they lube these during assembly?

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Learn from my mistake.

When I leave home I park my bike idling when I get off to lock my gate, it is a very slight down hill slope and was never a problem until I greased my stand.

After it rolled off the stand and hit the deck 2 times I learnt and started to park the bike on the road with a uphill slope.

I could not believe how much difference the grease made and that is why it fell 2 time before I learnt from my experience.

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
" Don't they lube these during assembly?"

No they don't lube that so guys in LA will keep buying new bikes. You are due for a new one!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts