StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....seems like this subject has been discussed b4; but, I can't find it. My Vee leans way too far, when on the side stand. I mean, it looks like something's gonna bend there is so much pressure on the side-stand. If there's a slight decline, it looks like the bike actually tip over.

So far, I've pulled the kick-stand off, and checked for any bends. The stand itself, the clevis and the place where it attaches to the frame all look fine. If they are bent, it isn't obvious. There is also a minimal amount of play in the clevis. So, I used a sledge hammer to tighten up the gap in the clevis to zero, and re-isntalled with a grade 8. bolt and nut.

Result- it still leans. Am I the only one or is this a Vee thing? Fix??

·
Registered
171 Posts
Wee and Vee Kickstand

I had the same concern after I bought my '10 Wee. After a while I realized that the preload on the rear suspension was wound up to maximum making the bike very tall at rest. :yikes:
So I turned it down to a much lower setting. Even then the bike still seemed to have a disturbing amount of lean. Thereafter I sought out parking spots that had a slope to help counter some of the lean. Even when I travel with full camping kit (one up) the bike still sits up pretty high. I installed a wider foot so that helped increase the length of the kickstand a tad. I like the idea of the hockey puck. :thumbup: I just happen to have a few in my garage (unused for a long time since I quite playing hockey).
Of course I don't use the side-stand when it's parked in the garage on its center stand. I love the huge (compared to a cruiser) amount of suspension travel we get on the Wee and Vee so it's up to our ingenuity to deal with this relatively minor side-stand issue.

·
Administrator
17,218 Posts
Crank up that preload...........

·
Registered
15,410 Posts
I had a thread going about side stand slop. Same problemo. I figure the fix is a chunk of 2X4 with a tether to stick under the stand when deployed.
I had backed off the preload front and rear for the softer ride so the bike isn't jacked up.
A buddy thought his stands were too long and then found out he had lowering links.
Doh!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I liked the hockey puck idea myself too. So, next time I played and snack out one into my bag and the same evening I drilled and screwed the puck on - sweet....

...till next morning. Warmed up the bike to go to work, kick the kick stand to fold and engine shuts off. Look down - FCUK - it does not clear the folded center stand.

Next thing I'm riding to work thinking: "Well, hockey puck idea did not work... what else?"

·
Registered
15,410 Posts
it does not clear the folded center stand.

Yeah, I had to modify my side stand foot because of the too. Aggravating isn't it?

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Are you the original owner? If not, did the P.O. modify the stand (shorten it) or grind back the stand stop because he had lowered it and brought it back to stock height for a sale?

·
Registered
600 Posts
The sidestand bracket bends from mounting the bike while using the peg like a stirrup. It is a weak point for some reason.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Send a pic to show us before it falls over.
Actually, the greater the lean, the more stable it, is as long as you're not parked on Camembert cheese.

·
Registered
657 Posts
The sidestand bracket bends from mounting the bike while using the peg like a stirrup. It is a weak point for some reason.
If you need to use the peg like a stirrup to get on the Vee, you are too short to be a Vee owner.

·
Registered
987 Posts
When I bought my Vee I thought it leaned way too much when on the sidestand too, so I used a 2x4 under it for awhile in the garage--but after a while I decided to add an extension to the stand by welding in a piece of bar stock I had in my junkpile. I have a welder too, which helps.
The extra length cured my problem, and it was an easy job to do. If anyone wants to come over (eastern WA) I will weld up their sidestand for no charge. If you need it a little shorter for any reason, that is even easier, so no problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My '06 1k Also seems to lean over waaaay to far.
Haven't had a problem yet, but do get nervous, especially
in a group of bikes.
Bikes at dealer dont seem to lean as much.
I bought the bike with 19k miles on it, so dont know if someone put on a lift kit.
I installed a centre stand, and use it whenever possible.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
I sawed an old 19mm open end wrench (Craftsman) in half and welded both halves to the bottom of my side stand, gave it a nice wide foot print and raised the stand just a tad and a tad was all I needed. I think it looks kind of neat, so do a few other folks. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts