StromTrooper banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Never take things personally. Besides if you had a Grom you'd be extra cool and could have a great time at skate board parks riding the moguls. They that on your Vee

The typed word is easily misconstrued. I was talking about the question of my height ( and health)....not so much about the Grom. Actually, I would like to own one as well the SV racing mini-track bike. I so could kick some butt on that!!!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Ah, an oldie but goodie.

I have fixed a few bent and/or broken side stands for customers. I have also seen some broken mounting tabs at the frame. Abuse your bike as you like, its yours.

I can not clear my panniers by swinging a leg. With bike on side stand I do the following....

Getting on - I stand facing the left side of my bike. Bike in gear. Lift right leg straight up, grab cuff of pants, toss leg as far across seat as possible. Hop forward a step while using handlebar for grace. Let leg head to the other side and down as I rotate my hips.

Getting off - bike on side stand again. Slide off seat to the left extending left foot to the left as far as comfy and pulling my leg across the seat. Rotate hips so I am facing left side again. I get about to where my knee joint is on the seat. Repeat my hop away from bike one time. Grab cuff, pull leg off and over seat, and let my size 11 hit the ground.

Works just as well with a passenger on the back of the seat or a big ass duffel in my situation.

ahhh Corndog
....YOU SAID, "

Works just as well with a passenger on the back of the seat or a big ass duffel in my situation."

Well with the passenger on the back, the side stand is still loaded as much as a solo rider would load it?? Or and I missing something

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Obviously, if I could swing my leg over the bike, there would be no need to ask for help/ideas.
I guess you were kidding, but to suggest << GRRRRR >> I should ride a Grom ( because I am to short), and you mean it..... well........ I don't want to get banned.

BWT I am almost 70. Was 6', but age, & diabetes has taken away flexibility/ and with discs wearing out, not as tall. So yea, I need help. Also, just so you know, I exercise and can ride a bicycle 25 miles. How far can you ride with out the help of a motor?
Yes - kidding with the Grom thing
How far can I ride a bicycle - pretty far, I still do triathlons occassionaly. Point was that there are bikes better suited to people who cannot get onto a tall bike - for whatever reason. It is a safety issue if you need to be standing on the peg to get on or off - ground is not always solid or even. The side stand is not meant to be putting hundreds of extra lbs on - it is to hold the empty bike up.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
^^^^^^^^I posted that just for you!

As for too short for my bike. Not really. With the seat set in the low position, once my arse is in position, the balls of my feet both touch and my heals are about an inch above the ground.

I am too short for my dirt bike. But it is narrow and has no luggage, so I can swing my leg over it and mash it down into submission.

Groms are too slow on the freeway.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
ahhh Corndog
....YOU SAID, "

Works just as well with a passenger on the back of the seat or a big ass duffel in my situation."

Well with the passenger on the back, the side stand is still loaded as much as a solo rider would load it?? Or and I missing something
I have not found a way to get my passenger on without her using the foot peg. But, she is half my weight and seldom with me. If she were lighter I would just pick her up.......corndog looks over his shoulder to check for wife reading this.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yes - kidding with the Grom thing
How far can I ride a bicycle - pretty far, I still do triathlons occassionaly. Point was that there are bikes better suited to people who cannot get onto a tall bike - for whatever reason. It is a safety issue if you need to be standing on the peg to get on or off - ground is not always solid or even. The side stand is not meant to be putting hundreds of extra lbs on - it is to hold the empty bike up.
I agree... Those were my exact thoughts.... about putting weight on side stand. I am going to have to behave like our buddy corndog.

I appreciate all of the ideas and comments from everyone. Thank you! Good for you that you exercise....well done!

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I am unsure if there is a big difference in stands between the wee and the vee, but FWIW I do this every time I've gotten on my vee2 for the last 2 years and it hasn't budged. I do have one of the larger footprint sidestand additions though, but it doesn't add any actual integrity to the stand itself...it just helps to disperse the weight on the ground.
I do too. I even remember 200#.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts