StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding my new-to-me 2012 for a couple of weeks now and have a question about the strength of the side-stand.

My previous bike was lower, and I had no trouble throwing my leg over it. The Wee is a bit taller and I find I'm having trouble lifting my leg high enough to clear the seat and bags when I'm getting on/off.

If the bike's on the center-stand, it's not an issue, as I simply step on the left foot peg as I get on the bike. I've seen some people do the same when their bike is on the side-stand. I just wonder if putting my 200 lbs. on the side-stand alone would be over-stressing it, or something it's attached to.

I've experimented with it, and it certainly works. Naturally, it's a little less stable than when I use the center-stand. And I have to be aware of what the side-stand is resting on; this is not something I'd try on soft ground.

Any advice on this?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've been riding my new-to-me 2012 for a couple of weeks now and have a question about the strength of the side-stand.

My previous bike was lower, and I had no trouble throwing my leg over it. The Wee is a bit taller and I find I'm having trouble lifting my leg high enough to clear the seat and bags when I'm getting on/off.

If the bike's on the center-stand, it's not an issue, as I simply step on the left foot peg as I get on the bike. I've seen some people do the same when their bike is on the side-stand. I just wonder if putting my 200 lbs. on the side-stand alone would be over-stressing it, or something it's attached to.

I've experimented with it, and it certainly works. Naturally, it's a little less stable than when I use the center-stand. And I have to be aware of what the side-stand is resting on; this is not something I'd try on soft ground.

Any advice on this?
I am unsure if there is a big difference in stands between the wee and the vee, but FWIW I do this every time I've gotten on my vee2 for the last 2 years and it hasn't budged. I do have one of the larger footprint sidestand additions though, but it doesn't add any actual integrity to the stand itself...it just helps to disperse the weight on the ground.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I do it all the time, no problem. I do have a foot enlarger on my side stand for soft ground too out of soft ground parking principal.

In fact, with my 29" inseam I have to especially when I have my dry bags on the back of the seat and rack.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
615 Posts
Side stand can handle my fat butt at 275lbs all day. The foot is really only needed if you will be on soft ground to keep the side stand from sinking in. It will not increase the strength of stand itself but is a nice addition for stability to any adventure machine that could end up on a dirt/gravel road.

Reactions: G.Verde

·
Registered
35 Posts
I frequently pivot the whole bike around the side stand. Most newer side stands are made to withstand the weight of the bike and then some. It shouldn't be a problem putting your weight on it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
Jeff, I've done this with my 2015 since I bought it in November and, so far, no issues. Used to do it with the Connie too when I had it loaded with camping gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've been using sidesteps for that for Years! And everyone on my new to me wee

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
May be a silly question, but why not just use the center stand more?

·
Registered
824 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
As an added personal safety measure, I always grab the front brake before hopping on the bike (just in case).
I to grab the front brake for both on and off.

I first saw this mounting technic on YouTube and have been doing it ever since. My wife also mounts this way when she rides to clear the top box.

One possible benefit to the foot pad is that the bike would be a bit more upright, so less lateral force on the side stand.

·
Administrator
17,009 Posts
I cannot fathom y'all mounting a bike like that, most certainly doesn't sound real smart or very stable.........no offense.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
May be a silly question, but why not just use the center stand more?
Hard to deploy the center-stand when you're sitting on the bike. Also, there are time I hop off the bike briefly, like to close my garage door after exiting, where I typically don't use the center-stand.

I cannot fathom y'all mounting a bike like that, most certainly doesn't sound real smart or very stable.........no offense.
Well, it doesn't seem like an uncommon approach, given the response so far. And no one's chimed in with tales of disaster.

BTW, putting "no offense" at the end of your comment doesn't automatically negate the fact that you're insulting people's intelligence. Maybe you want to add a "well bless yer heart" as well?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Get the foot - I consider it necessary gear.
As for mounting - and I confess I had to be told this and felt like a total dummy - simply stand on the peg like a stirrup and throw your leg over.
Yeah - D'oh!!

·
Administrator
17,009 Posts
I'm not insulting anyone's intelligence, if I intended/meant to do that.....I would say riders that mount their bike like that are stupid. No offense and bless your heart.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts