StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have discovered the need for a side stand foot. Touratech makes a lovely one for around $40 shipped. That just seems a bit steep for a job that a smashed aluminum can does almost as well. Where's a smashed aluminum can when you need one? It seems like a simple little piece, not that I'm capable of making a nice one (foot that is, not a smashed can). How about you all? Anybody capable of and interested in making a side stand foot for much less than the primo vendor?
Touratech's piece

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
The previous owner of my bike installed a custom foot, just a simple piece of plate with a couple of bolts holding it on.

I need to file it down a bit because it barely hits the oem center stand. I just push the center stand down slightly after raising the side stand, it slips by into place, and everything is fine.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crude but effective. I like it. Surely my skills are up to that level of quality.

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
I have the touratech foot that you show in the photo. I can't have a centerstand w/ my full leovince exhaust. You're dead right about the foot being too steep in price. I would have made one myself but I'm impatient. Even w/ minimal ingenuity I'll bet you can make one. Also, thanks for making me remember I overpaid for $2 worth of material. DOH! You can do it. Keep in mind the clearance you may need w/ your foot creation when the stand is in the up position, so possible clearance issues can be avoided.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Cheap; at a trash can near you:

I wind up using one of these freebies at least once on any given trip.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Crude but effective. I like it. Surely my skills are up to that level of quality.
Yeah, maybe someday I'll clean and repaint it. But probably not.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheap; at a trash can near you:

I wind up using one of these freebies at least once on any given trip.
Yea, thank God for litter bugs - not!. That trash is everywhere you don't want it. I'm going to find some suitable hunk of junk and turn it into art, just like those crazy people do.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Well, you could always use some bailing wire to lash the crushed can to the bottom of the sidestand. I'm sure you can find the wire along the side of the road too, so your total out of pocket expense is zero. Or skip the wire and use some pliers to bend the can itself around the sidestand foot. You could JB Weld the can to the bottom of the foot, but that would cost money

:D

·
Registered
137 Posts
I use a sheet of aluminum for soft spots. About 5 inches square. Painted pink so i wont forget it.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Yea, thank God for litter bugs - not!. That trash is everywhere you don't want it. I'm going to find some suitable hunk of junk and turn it into art, just like those crazy people do.
I just keep a clean smashed can in my tank bag (or jacket pocket if not bringing the bag) so it's easily accessed while on the bike and can be tossed down when needed. All that said, it would be nice to just have a bigger foot on the stand regardless...

·
Registered
340 Posts
I added raising links and had to make my side and center stand longer-this is what I did on the sidestand - just threaded the holes in the aluminium plate.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I guess the answer is - yes. I just made one. Made a cardboard template, found a piece of scrap metal, cut it with a Dremel tool - cut off wheel(s), drilled a couple of holes. It was about an hour's worth of work. Made it as big as would fit. If it works - great, if not, no loss.

Looks like this.
side stand up, center stand down

side stand up, center stand up

side stand down

·
Registered
71 Posts
Cut out a piece of .040" 6061T6 aircraft aluminum measuring 3 3/4" diameter with a 1/2" hole in the center. Works well on either bike, easy to store, has not bent yet, and cheap.

·
Registered
40 Posts
looks great .. definately NASA approved

·
Registered
453 Posts
Boondocker,
That kind of work to your side stand looks a lot like some of the mods the KLR riders like to do to their rides. Simple, direct to the problem & do able for most of us. Nice job.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts