StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have issues with either design?
Would seem to me that the top loading would be easier (stuff won't fall out when you open it) for day to day use.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
90 Posts
you got it - top loading doesn't have the hassle of stuff falling out when you open it, but on the other hand, they are a bitch when the thing you want is on the bottom! You have to unload the whole bag...

A bigger consideration is probably materials and cost - Givis (say) are a good example of "clamshells" and look good, reasonably cheap and have decent capacity. However they are plastic and can break in a fall.

Happy Trails and Jesse are top loading, ugly, expensive, can carry more and are aluminium which will probably stay together better than plastic in an accident .

So the top-loading part is only a small factor in working out which is best for you...

Trevor

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the top-loading part is only a small factor in working out which is best for you...
haha, ya... tell me about it.
I also noticed that givi has the e21's which are top loading and the e41's which are a mix of both. I like the looks of the e41 but then the bike ends up so wide. I kind of like the look of pelicans and they are cheap and bomb proof but then they don't have the frills of givi's. Yeesh. :rolleyes:

And then another question/concern i have is the side racks. Will my adjustable top rack from twisted throttle in any way inhibit the installation of any of the side racks?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I like side opening cases with a soft bag(s) insert. The opening is larger to get the inner bags in and out. The suitcase style is easier to work with when the bag is off the bike. Taking an inner bag out and putting it on top of the seat is easier on my back when going through the bag.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
I like side opening cases with a soft bag(s) insert.
You could actually do exactly the same thing with top loaders with a bit of thought. A bag that fitted the interior perfectly with a handle in the top and a zip that ran around three sides (say up the back across the top and down the front as the bags were on the bike).
You would probably loose to much room with E21's but with Jesses et al it could be a goer. I must get SWMBO to get her sewing machine out. :)

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I like side opening cases with a soft bag(s) insert.
I've got a collection of smallish cloth/canvas/cordura mechanics bags in various sizes for my gear and side-loading Pelican cases (with straps) on the bike. Before this I had top-loading cases and the side-loaders suit me much better. As someone else said, with a top loader, you've got to dump it all out to get to that big wrench you keep on the bottom.

Your local or online army/navy store is the best source for smallish textile bags. I like these guys: www.vtarmynavy.com/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts