StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this must have been discussed before, but I can't seem to find it. What are the relative merits of the Givi side racks, versus the sw-motech side racks? I plan to put Givi E360's on them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I can't speak to the SW Motechs, but I hang my Givi E360s on a Givi rack...trouble free and installation was a breeze.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I had Givis on my last bike, went with aluminum this time. I really like the versitility and the clean look when the cases are not on that is offered with the SW Motech racks. (I usually do not care about looks, but its the truth.)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The SW-Motech are aluminum?

I seem to remember reading someplace, that the SW-Motech positioned the bags farther back, which gave more room for the pillion's legs. Is this a problem with the Givi racks?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I've had both. Both are steel and there was no noticeable difference in position that I could point to. The SW QLs require movement of the rear reflectors. I got them second because I wasn't happy with the look of the empty Givi racks. They both work well. Also, I attached a PVC pipe container in the empty space inside the left rack on my 650. It's easier to attach to the flat stock on the SW and departs the bike when the rack is off.

·
Registered
800 Posts
No the SW racks are not aluminum, my panniers are. The SW Motech are flat steel that you can easily bolt any pannier to. (ie. Aluminum, ammo can, pelican case, mermite can, wooden boxes, etc.)

·
Administrator
13,351 Posts
As mentioned before, the SW-Motecs come off and go on easily. Literally *a few seconds* to do either.

If you are planning on always running with the side cases on then I suspect it wouldn't make any real difference which ones you have. If you plan on running without the side cases often then the bike looks much tidier when you remove the side racks.

..Tom

·
Registered
52 Posts
ammo can/custom pannier's mounting soultions

Can somebody point me in the direction of how to mount custom cases? I have read about "pucks" being used. pictures will help this cave man out a lot.

And yes I did search first and ended up with miles of links and still havn't found the info I'm looking for. :headbang:

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
How about the difference of the width. I am in the looking process. I want narrow and large but can't have both. The top priority is my Computer brief case has to fit. So far int will fit in all but the Givi E21s. It fits in a E52 top case with room for lunch. :mrgreen:

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
20mm ammo cans on GIVI racks = 37" wide. I think the cans are 9" wide. That would make the racks about 19" wide overall.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The SW-Motech are aluminum?

I seem to remember reading someplace, that the SW-Motech positioned the bags farther back, which gave more room for the pillion's legs. Is this a problem with the Givi racks?
I have SW-Motech on my DL1K & Givi on my 650. I bent the rear reflectors out for clearance on the 1K.

The SW-Motech are more robust and are quick-release. The Givi carry the cases higher on my 650 than the SW-Motech on my 1K.

I prefer mounting them lower when swinging my bent leg over etc.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The sw motech evo rack is offset so you'll keep your width to a minimum. As well as still having a bit of room for a tool tube. Presuming you're on a 650 anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts