StromTrooper banner
2981 - 3000 of 3019 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Here is my new to me 2005 DL650, 46,00klm, not miles...........yea i know its a pic of it in my carport. Will remedy that in a couple of hours, going to dodge some rain drops. Been full on raining for about 2 weeks and now down to intermittent localized showers.

Reactions: om28

·
Registered
2010 650 VStrom, 2014 Yamaha Bolt, GSX-Rs '89 750, '02 600, '07 600. '93 Trans Am, '14 Corvette,
9 Posts
Bought my 2010 V Strom for $5500CDN in 2018 a week before going on a 5200km trip to the Cabot Trail. Since then have gone to BC twice. Now have 33,000 km. Thought I should join here to get some ideas on tires, tank bag and whatever else comes to mind. As last years trip was supposed to be to the Yukon and the Dempster highway. Thanks to Covid it didn't happen. Hoping this year but not holding my breath.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Bought my 2010 V Strom for $5500CDN in 2018 a week before going on a 5200km trip to the Cabot Trail. Since then have gone to BC twice. Now have 33,000 km. Thought I should join here to get some ideas on tires, tank bag and whatever else comes to mind. As last years trip was supposed to be to the Yukon and the Dempster highway. Thanks to Covid it didn't happen. Hoping this year but not holding my breath.
Over my 300,000km on these bikes, for road biased tires, I really like the Michelin Pilot Roads for grip and longevity. I also like the Anakee 3's and the Metezler Tourance for 90/10 tires. Otherwise I like the TKC 80's for more dirt oriented riding involving little paved roads, even though they have excellent grip on the pavement (but poor tread life)

For my tank bag, I was using the smaller Givi tank lock bag pictured below and have just moved to an SW Motech Bag, since it's a touch larger. I rode out to BC last year and this bike performed like a champ.

·
Registered
2010 650 VStrom, 2014 Yamaha Bolt, GSX-Rs '89 750, '02 600, '07 600. '93 Trans Am, '14 Corvette,
9 Posts
That's a lot of K for sure. Must have been some good times. And bad. I used the TKC 70s last year which work amazing on the road. Got almost 20,000k out of them. But I got into some fresh deep gravel and thought I was going to die. They worked great on hard pack. I was going to try the Anakee Adventure this year but then saw the Trailmax Mission so ordered a set a few weeks ago. Not available yet.

·
Registered
09 V-Strom 650
4 Posts
My new to me 09. I haven't had this small a bike since my 82 kz650 years ago, but I'm having all kinda issues now, so it was either find another sport, or downsize. So far, I'm loving this bike. Thus is so much nicer than my kz (amazing what a 30 year advance in technology will do). Now for the farkles....
650 then, and now.....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the Corbin seat on mine. It's fantastic. I've sat on it for 15 hours without any total discomfort. In the rain as well. But that's a side note.

·
Registered
78 Posts

We picked up this 09 650 about 2 weeks ago, for my youngest son to ride.
great bike 56k on the clock, but someone put thus HUGE rifle w/s on it :confused:
I ordered 2 new tires, and a set of rear pads.. all here and tomorrow is maintenance day.

If anyone has an oem shield, cheap I'd be interested

·
Registered
209 Posts
As promised.........quick 130klm ride, Hull heads, Hull river, the mouth is just to the right of the pic.
View attachment 285865

looking back up the Hull
View attachment 285866

Entrance to Mission Beach
View attachment 285867
Have you taken any sharp blows to the B&B skid plate yet? I'm wondering how that bracketry would work in significant rocks or roots? I'm tempted to get that one but don't like the idea of trying to bend or replace the brackets if I hit a big rock or tree root. Like you, I don't have crash bars and might be buying a skid plate only, and it's either this one or the Weld86 skid plate unless I can find a used setup for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Have you taken any sharp blows to the B&B skid plate yet? I'm wondering how that bracketry would work in significant rocks or roots? I'm tempted to get that one but don't like the idea of trying to bend or replace the brackets if I hit a big rock or tree root. Like you, I don't have crash bars and might be buying a skid plate only, and it's either this one or the Weld86 skid plate unless I can find a used setup for a reasonable price.
it was on the bike when i bought it and i haven't been off road to any degree where the plate has been put in that situation.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
My '09 Wee on the day I flipped 100K miles, it still runs as sweetly as the day I got it.

Wheel Plant Tire Vehicle Fuel tank

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Plant
Automotive lighting Gauge Amber Motor vehicle Automotive design

On the Tail of the Dragon when the bike was new in September 2009.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle

2981 - 3000 of 3019 Posts