StromTrooper banner

2901 - 2920 of 2924 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, I waffled for weeks, and bit the bullet.

I started out on a TW200 "It's great on the trails and back roads, and I don't need to go on the highway" ...until I did.

Next came a DR650...awesome bike, but no riding buddies. The couple that live by my camp both bought cruisers and I spent a summer riding with them and doing day trips...on my DR650, with knobbies, and a seat like a 2x4...and the Mrs saw the places we were going and wanted to start coming along on the back....riding scenic slab all day with a passenger on a DR650...hmm...no.

I added a 900 Vulcan Classic LT last fall....damn fine cruising bike, had some great rides, mama on the back....but I couldn't find a way to shoehorn a DR and a Vulcan into an 8x10 shed along with a snowblower, lawnmower, and the rest of the crap. So I thought "I'll sell the DR..." But I know full well that I'd lose my mind not knowing what's down each of those little trails that I'd see and make a mental note of while out Vulcaning.
Not to mention that insurance here was $500 for the DR and $550 for the Vulcan. Time to re-think the whole situation....

I decided to put both the DR and the Vulcan up for sale, and squirrel the money away and sit back and wait for THE perfect bike to come along.

I wanted a new bike, but the cost and the insane insurance prices quickly killed that plan.
I say it's fate, but THE perfect V-Strom came along the day after my bikes sold.

You know when you walk into someones garage and you take a quick look around and tell yourself that this person is over-the-top meticulous and that you'd buy anything they had for sale because it would be better than new? Well, that....

He had a 2005 DL650, along with 6 other bikes. He bought the Strom when he was 62, and already had bad knees and could only ride on good days. This is eastern Canada so we already have a pretty short riding season, so with that and only riding on good-knee-days and spreading that riding time across 7 bikes.....the DL had 4777 kms on it. (That's 2968 miles)
He'd outfitted it with Givi luggage (Givi racks and top case plate, E52 top box, and the 41L keyless Givi side cases), and Suzuki crash bars and handguards.
I went over the whole bike and the only flaw/scuff/wear I could find was where the rear brake hose had (for some weird reason) rubbed on what I'd call the subframe and scuffed the paint off right above the master cylinder.

The best part is that for some reason ADV bikes are not a hot item around here, but dual sports are. So, selling the DR ('09) brought just about enough to cover the cost of the V-Strom.

I'm aware of the things to address with a 15 year old bike, and have started down the road of changing the brake fluid, coolant, tires, etc. Although it's 15 years old, I have yet to find anything that shows any sign of its age...no rust in the tank (he said all his bikes are parked, topped off with high test, and then put on a stand to keep the weight off the suspension), inside the rad is clean and no sign of goop, hoses are soft and pliable with no cracking, brake fluid is clean and clear. He had a KLR650 that he used for dirt, so this one had never seen anything but fair-weather highway riding to visit family a few hours away.

So, in my mind, I have a brand new bike with lockable hard luggage (the good stuff that I'd likely pass on and buy cheaper stuff), and someone was nice enough to gently break it in for me and do the first couple oil changes....at about 1/3 the cost of a bare-ass new DL650.

Now that I've put in some years of riding and using bikes, I have a definite feel for what kind of riding I will actually be doing, and what I do and don't need out of a bike, and the V-Strom puts a tickmark beside each and every box. Fun on twisty roads, more than capable on dirt roads and easy trails, great for when I need to lay down some highway miles, and my wife loves how comfortable she is on the back.

I've been in touch with CosmoMotoAccessories and am putting an order together for a skid plate, fork brace, center stand, rad guard, footpeg lowering kit, GPS mount, handlebar shelf with USB and 12v plug....) Being in Canada, the exchange to USD is a killer, plus shipping across the border is never cheap...I checked my favourite places in Canada and a skidplate will start at $350, and a center stand just over $300....so that gives you an idea of the high prices....

Another bonus...being a 2005, the insurance is lower than both the DR and the Vulcan.

So, it's nice to see that there's a great forum for support and technical help...I think it's called V-Strom Riders or something like that... Just kidding!

I've liked my other 3 bikes, but each came with things that I wanted to do but just couldn't. Now I feel that Mee and my Wee are a perfect match for each other, and I think that I'll enjoy turning it into my 'forever bike'.

If anyone's near me (Moncton, New Brunswick) and is looking for someone to do some relaxed rides, some exploring, some stopping and seeing if the trout are biting, and even some weekend camping trips, send me a message. I ride slow enough to enjoy myself and take in my surroundings, and if I have to think "Hmmm...I wonder if I can make it through that..." I'll pretty much always look for an alternate route. I'd rather ride, relax, and enjoy than crash and hurt myself or carry a bike on my back through a mudhole. Whiskey or a cold beer are right up there on my list, after parking at camp at the end of the day.

Stay safe, and wash your hands! :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
The fork brace will make your 2005 a lot more planted. Especially in curves. Made a HUGE difference in my 2005 DL650. Still lovin this bike after 58000 kms!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
OK, long story short: the Virus killed my retirement date of May this year as well as my Alaska Ride that was scheduled to start this past June.......everything has been extended a year, pretty much. Let me say, I do feel fortunate to be able to keep working 40 hrs per week (remotely from home), while many folks are out of work/on unemployment/or have lost their jobs entirely. As far as my Dream Ride........my 2008 Wee sits in "limbo" until next year. I had just spent about $400 getting new tires installed for the ride back in February and I don't want to wear ANY miles off of them until the AK ride. I have other bikes to play with anyway. Nothing really more to add (farkles) to the bike except "maybe" a chain oiling system and digital gear indicator (which I have used on previous bikes and have liked). Only manditory things to change prior to AK is the oil/filter, and a new battery......that won't be until next year.
So......with the "fat girl" all dressed up for the prom (but no date to take her), I took some pics of her with her lipstick and make-up on..........

·
Registered
1 Posts
Happy new owner here....

Picked up my new-to-me 2004 650 with just over 29,000km (around 18,500 miles) on Saturday. Very happy with is so far. Yes, those are Yamaha Givi bags, don't flame me too hard. Everything seems in order...a few extras like the crash bars and skid plate. Was on its left side once in the dirt so left tank fairing has been repainted and no decal yet but I think i can live with that.

I think $2600 CDN (less than $2000 USD) is a pretty good deal. I have a couple small items coming for it-pedal extensions and a fork brace. it has the low seat and I feel a little cramped so will see how much difference the extensions make before I order a seat.

Any advice anyone wants to give or tips and must-have items-please let me know....my only previous street bike was when I lived in Mexico (Italika FT 250)

Thanks for having this community, Curtis

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'd get a center stand and maybe some driving lights mounted on the engine guards. A fork brace if it doesn't already have one. If you are tall, consider peg lowering kit too. Both of the latter from adventuretech.biz

Relax and have a homebrew

Autocorrect is my new enema

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got an 06 650. It has 6100 miles. So far I've put the crash bars on and removed the decals. I'm a new rider and am looking forward to putting a lot of miles on my new Wee.

·
Premium Member
4,419 Posts
Just got an 06 650. It has 6100 miles. So far I've put the crash bars on and removed the decals. I'm a new rider and am looking forward to putting a lot of miles on my new Wee.
View attachment 274562

Nice bike. I see you got the red one, they are the fastest. :)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Lynch, Kentucky in June 2020. An interesting company town built by US Steel for the coal. It was a totally segregated town and had separate schools and stores. A wonderful black resident and motorcycle rider, Melvin Hardy gave us a tour and history of the area. The black school on Main Street still shows the name, “Lynch Colored Public School”.

Reactions: om28

·
Registered
12 Posts
Don't worry about it... keep up the good work... hope to see more soon
Thanks, new video about bluetooth headsets just went live this morning so will be interesting to see how that preforms against the decals video... never would have guessed that my motorcycle hobby would lead me into another hobby i like so much, great to be able to bring the 2 together

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks, new video about bluetooth headsets just went live this morning so will be interesting to see how that preforms against the decals video... never would have guessed that my motorcycle hobby would lead me into another hobby i like so much, great to be able to bring the 2 together
I am subscribed ... I'll be looking for it... it's cool how the hobbies came together...stick with it... you are good at it... hopefully some day you will make money at it...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Took my Strom to the Oregon dunes last week. After a multitude of people telling me nearly 500lbs of motorcycle was too much for sand, I decided a set of Shinko 805s and a lot of determination was in order.

By the third day, I was keeping up with the ATVs and a friend with a old Yamaha 490 two-stroke. Don't let your dreams be dreams!

2901 - 2920 of 2924 Posts