StromTrooper banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Were you out in Surrey, BC with that bike a month or two ago? Saw one just like yours with identical side cases on Crescent Rd.
What bag is that? Is that a backrest attached?
Steve: No haven't yet been out west on the Strom. One day...

Switch: I think the bag is a Joe Rocket 'Velocity' tailbag.
It is similar to this http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/71/3411/ITEM/Rapid-Transit-Recon-23-Tail-Bag.aspx
I bought it off someone locally for $50 and it is a very versatile addition. It isn't actually a backrest added but an expandable pocket that can double as a backrest or passenger headrest depending on how I've used it.

I have it on the passenger seat when riding long trips solo and it helps keep my posture correct and provides something to lean on when I'm weary. Like on my original picture on page 134.

When I'm riding longer trips 2up I put it on top of the top case and it serves as a head rest for the passenger. No matter how I fasten it, it is really secure. Very well made bag, but moreso designed for sport bikes I think.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Bought this uncrated K11 from the dealer in April. Originally I didn't want the orange and wanted black, but I was having a hard time getting the black locally, so I just bought the burnt orange... Now with about 12k on the odo, the colour has definitely grown on me.

While I've changed a bunch of stuff from stock, a few things I like that help the orange more palatable, are the orange light covers off the older models, the orange shorty levers and the reflective rim tape. I also love the look and feel of the TechSpec's tank grips.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Bought this 2011 DL650 in April of 2012. It's my 7th bike and my 2nd DL650. I was bikeless at the time and needed a new one as it's my only form of transport. I wanted a black, but none of the local dealers had one, so I reluctantly bought an orange one for what was a good price at the time. It's my first new vehicle ever. After a while I decided to embrace the orange instead of fight it.

I have been adding junk to it ever since. Most of the stuff I have done is comfort related and now I'm starting to work on performance and handling items. On order are a set of the Anakee 3's, Sonic springs and a new chain/sprockets set. I'm going to try a 16t/45t set up and see how that does for me.

In this pic below I have added a Pat Walsh radar shelf with 12v outlet, Datel voltmeter and GoPro mount. The handlebars are Pro Taper ATV bars because they feel better and are stronger than stock. On them I have a RAM gps mount, a dual controller for my heated gear, a crampbuster and a set of the KTM Duke mirrors with extenders. There is also a Madstad bracket and a tinted Moose shorty windscreen. You can also see the 5pc TechSpec snakeskin tank grips (model bike for their website:)).

In this pic below I had added a dual helmet lock at the license plate, because the stock one is silly. On the other side it also a tool tube mounted for my chain lube. I also have set it up with the Givi luggage system, using E41 side cases and an E46 topbox. In additon to these cases, I also have a few different tank bags, tail bags, dry sacks and more from collecting stuff over the course of my different bikes and trips. There are also Givi engine guards and an Enduro Guardian skid plate/highway pegs/rad guard/oil cooler guard and an SWMotech centerstand. The reflective rim tape is from Tapeworks. I also changed out the stock signal lenses (clear) to the older model ones which are orange. You can also see the levers have been swaped out for the shorty adjustable ones - the ebay knockoff's which are decent for the price and more importantly, won't break in the event of a tip-over, because they are shorter than the handlebar width.

In this pic below you can see that I removed the stock decals in favour of the ones from Cypress Graphics which I like much better. There is also a Corbin Dual Canyon seat which is great for long distance stuff. I also have an Alaskan Leather sheepskin cover that is fitted for my seat and a gel seat cover just in case I'm doing really long days. I have the Superbrace fork brace, which I feel really helps keep the bike planted in heavy winds and sharper curves. I really like the DL650 and intend on riding this bike into the ground. Figuratively and hopefully not literally. It's the perfect bike to have spirited rides on the curvy roads with some friends (and not get into trouble), go for a 2up weekend camping trip with my spouse, put on some knobbies and hit up some trails in the the woods or hopefully ride over to Cabot Trail and Gaspe at the end of the summer... or back down to Barber Museum for the vintage bike weekend.

Ride Safe Everyone!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Went on a ride - stator blew about 200kms from home. Tow truck came and promptly got stuck in the soft shoulder. Tried many times and ways to get out and only made it worse each time. Finally a big rig drove by and pulled us out.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Bought my 2010 V Strom for $5500CDN in 2018 a week before going on a 5200km trip to the Cabot Trail. Since then have gone to BC twice. Now have 33,000 km. Thought I should join here to get some ideas on tires, tank bag and whatever else comes to mind. As last years trip was supposed to be to the Yukon and the Dempster highway. Thanks to Covid it didn't happen. Hoping this year but not holding my breath.
Over my 300,000km on these bikes, for road biased tires, I really like the Michelin Pilot Roads for grip and longevity. I also like the Anakee 3's and the Metezler Tourance for 90/10 tires. Otherwise I like the TKC 80's for more dirt oriented riding involving little paved roads, even though they have excellent grip on the pavement (but poor tread life)

For my tank bag, I was using the smaller Givi tank lock bag pictured below and have just moved to an SW Motech Bag, since it's a touch larger. I rode out to BC last year and this bike performed like a champ.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts