StromTrooper banner

81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Got out for the first ride of the season today. Over the winter added the Givi Airflow windscreen, Barkbusters Handguards with the turn signal lights
Where did you find the hand guards @, and how do the blinkers work ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Where did you find the hand guards @, and how do the blinkers work ?
The handguards I got from dual sport - small dual sport shop here in Ontario.the blinkers are the Barkbusters ones made for the handguards and got them from Fortnine. I thought about rigging up something from fleabay or Amazon, but in the end decided I liked the look of these. They have a clear lens but flash amber. They are surprisingly bright and quite eye catching when flashing. They also have a set of running lights for the handguards, which mount on the lower half, but I passed on them as I felt they would reduce the effectiveness of the turn signals.

·
Registered
‘07 Suzuki DRZ400S, ‘20 Suzuki DL1050XT
34 Posts
I surrender.

This post is trying to drive me crazy. Black and Yellow 2018, let your imagination do the rest.
Your picture is working fine, I think it’s about the model of the bike being in the wrong picture thread. This is for 2020 and newer V-Strom 1050s.

·
Registered
1050xt Adventure
28 Posts
Hi,

I'm new to DL1050xt (day 1) but not to riding.
Today, just flew down to Burbank to pick up my new xt Adv. I must say I am delighted in the ride. The suspension is almost perfect out of the box. I did have the dealer put on the Low seat, but it is still too tall. Will need to check the preload setting tomorrow. Going to have the shave the seat more. As for the seat, did the 400 miles to NorCal, and it wasn't bad. I wish I read how to use the cruise control before I left the dealer, right hand is a bit tired.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Your picture is working fine, I think it’s about the model of the bike being in the wrong picture thread. This is for 2020 and newer V-Strom 1050s.
Good thing I'm not smart enough to figure out my mistake or I'd be embarrassed. Regardless, its a 2018 and I should get 2 years grace for Covid.

·
Administrator
14,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Hi,

I'm new to DL1050xt (day 1) but not to riding.
Today, just flew down to Burbank to pick up my new xt Adv. I must say I am delighted in the ride. The suspension is almost perfect out of the box. I did have the dealer put on the Low seat, but it is still too tall. Will need to check the preload setting tomorrow. Going to have the shave the seat more. As for the seat, did the 400 miles to NorCal, and it wasn't bad. I wish I read how to use the cruise control before I left the dealer, right hand is a bit tired.
Welcome aboard!

If you haven't figured it out yet activating the cruise is simple:

With the bike running activate cruise by pressing the lower button on the right handlebar (button looks like and is in the location where starter buttons were on earlier generation Stroms.)

The cruise control symbol will turn on in the dash.

When riding over 50 kph / 30 mph in 4th gear or higher press the bottom rocker switch on the left handlebar. It has the minus sign on it. The cruise light on the dash will flash and cruise is set. If you press the + symbol the set speed will increase or will resume if the cruise was deactivated. It forgets the set speed if you drop down into 3rd gear or below 50kph/30 mph for any length of time.

..Tom

·
Registered
34 Posts
Welcome aboard!

If you haven't figured it out yet activating the cruise is simple:

With the bike running activate cruise by pressing the lower button on the right handlebar (button looks like and is in the location where starter buttons were on earlier generation Stroms.)

The cruise control symbol will turn on in the dash.

When riding over 50 kph / 30 mph in 4th gear or higher press the bottom rocker switch on the left handlebar. It has the minus sign on it. The cruise light on the dash will flash and cruise is set. If you press the + symbol the set speed will increase or will resume if the cruise was deactivated. It forgets the set speed if you drop down into 3rd gear or below 50kph/30 mph for any length of time.

..Tom
My biggest gripe of the bike is not having a cruise control cancel button on the left hand controls...

When I am cruising down the highway set at 70 mph and all I want to do is disengage cruise and take over manual control again, I only have 2 options. Either roll the throttle past closed (disengaging cruise control) or pressing the main button on the right hand control (disengaging cruise control). Both options would have me going from 6th gear 70 mph throttle to 6th gear completely closed throttle and it causes a little jerk forward until I can open the throttle back up to about 65-70 mph worth in 6th gear.

The sketchy way to do it without a jerk is by rolling on the throttle with your right hand to match the cruise control speed... then either trying to unclick cruise control main button with your right thumb or use your left hand to press the button on your right hand controls. Either option is poor in my mind.

Am I missing an obvious way to cancel cruise on the left hand controls?

·
Registered
50 Posts
On the left, press down and keep it pressed, the bike will decelate gently. As soon as it starts decelerating, roll off the throttle. Seamless disengaging.
Takes practice to get used to, but like everything it will become muscle memory after a few trips.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
14,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
My biggest gripe of the bike is not having a cruise control cancel button on the left hand controls...

When I am cruising down the highway set at 70 mph and all I want to do is disengage cruise and take over manual control again, I only have 2 options. Either roll the throttle past closed (disengaging cruise control) or pressing the main button on the right hand control (disengaging cruise control). Both options would have me going from 6th gear 70 mph throttle to 6th gear completely closed throttle and it causes a little jerk forward until I can open the throttle back up to about 65-70 mph worth in 6th gear.

The sketchy way to do it without a jerk is by rolling on the throttle with your right hand to match the cruise control speed... then either trying to unclick cruise control main button with your right thumb or use your left hand to press the button on your right hand controls. Either option is poor in my mind.

Yes you can press the "Mode" button in the middle of the left rocker switch and you can also pull in the clutch or touch the foot brake.

I usually just pull in the clutch while rolling back the throttle.

..Tom

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes you can press the "Mode" button in the middle of the left rocker switch and you can also pull in the clutch or touch the foot brake.

I usually just pull in the clutch while rolling back the throttle.

..Tom
Oh wow the mode button cancels cruise... That is good to know, I will keep that in mind! Thanks for letting me know

·
Administrator
14,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
On the left, press down and keep it pressed, the bike will decelate gently. As soon as it starts decelerating, roll off the throttle. Seamless disengaging.
Takes practice to get used to, but like everything it will become muscle memory after a few trips.
I have probably used my cruise more km/miles than my throttle. When heading down a highway in light I willoften adjust the speed up or down by tapping + or -. It's become second nature to do that now.

BTW in metric countries the + and - increase or decrease the speed 1 kph. In the USA does it adjust half a mph or does it go .625 of a mph (If not sure it would be interesting to me if someone would have their bike settled on cruise at (indicated) 50mph and hit the + button 20 times to see if it settles at 60 mph or 62-63 mph.

..Tom

·
Administrator
14,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Oh wow the mode button cancels cruise... That is good to know, I will keep that in mind! Thanks for letting me know
Realize when you do that it will go into the setting for ABS, TC etc. and I think shuts the cruise off completly. I think if you hit the cruise on button again it cancels that (If I remember I'll try it on the way home.)

..Tom

·
Registered
'20 Suzuki 1050XT Adv, '15 HD FXDWG
1 Posts
I picked up this 1050XT Adventure about a month ago. Got it for less than a straight 1050XT at another dealer, and I've been really happy with it. I've already ordered the OEM top case and the Hepco & Becker skid plate. I would have posted sooner, but I've been out riding ;)

81 - 100 of 109 Posts