StromTrooper banner
201 - 220 of 265 Posts

·
Administrator
14,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
Thanks Tom. Is that the Zumo XT on the left side of the handlebar? And what's that thing around the right mirror stem?

You have a second RAM mount on that bar. What's it for?

I was wondering if there is enough room for the Zumo XT and my tyre pressure monitor on that bar.

I bought a Quadlock mount for the head stem bolt (which is hollow). I'm now wondering if it'll fit with the handlebar mount being so close to it, going by photos.
Yes I have always put my GPS units on the left handlebar so that I can easily reach it. (Sometimes when running a second GPS I might put it beside the first GPS or on the right side but I haven't done that for a while.)

I actually have three unused ram balls on the handlebar plus the one the XT is on. If I want to attach my Gopro I can put it where the XT is and move the XT down to a lower one that you cant see in the picture. If I want to attach the phone I can use one of the mounts (but have only done it to try it on the 1050 as I much rather would keep my phone in my pocket.)

Around both mirror stems I have a little waterproof LED light. I rarely use them but they are handy if I have to pull over at night in the dark (say to relieve myself.) I have led flashlights in the topcase but sometimes just a little bit of light can be handy.

..Tom

·
Administrator
14,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
Hey. Just wondering, what TPMS did you go with?
This is the unit I currently have: Motorcycle Tire Pressure Monitoring System, Wireless Waterproof TPMS with 2 External Sensors, LCD Display and USB Charging, Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) - Amazon Canada

I went through a few of them before this type. Even though they are supposed to be water resistant they always seem to get wet inside and die. I think its from the USB charging connection. This one has the magnetic connection for the charging cable so I figure it might do a little better in pouring rain. This is actually my second unit like this. You need to be be careful not to press the buttons too hard as they can go past the stopping point and break something inside. The unit still worked but I was unable to shut if off or change any settings (it was the top button.)

I would much rather have another Garmin GPS that has the TPMS. If I came across a Zumo 395 I woukd likely get it and use it for TPMS.

Of you get TPMS with the valve caps sensors you must get metal valve stems. The weight of the sensors on the valve stems is too much for the rubber stems and will eventually break. (I'm speaking from experience.)

..Tom

·
Registered
'21 1050XT
192 Posts
Hey. Just wondering, what TPMS did you go with?
A cheap Ebay special. If the Zumo XT had that feature I'd have stuck with it.

Here's what I got. And I doubt that it'll last longer than 12 mths. All the other failed in a similar time frame...

·
Registered
'21 1050XT
192 Posts
Interesting. Saw these on Ebay, too. Well, they looked similar from the outside. I wonder if they all have the same internals as the cheapies that I've been using.
Like the "magsafe" power connector. Do you have it permanently on or do you charge it when needed? If so, for how long does the battery last?

Of you get TPMS with the valve caps sensors you must get metal valve stems. The weight of the sensors on the valve stems is too much for the rubber stems and will eventually break. (I'm speaking from experience.)
Funny that you say that. When I bought my DL1000A off a fellow, he threw in the Garmin 595 with it. TPMs were screwed into rubber valve stems. 34,000 km later they're still there.

I've asked that the XT be delivered with the metal stems. Hopefully this will happen.

·
Registered
'21 1050XT
192 Posts

·
Administrator
14,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
Interesting. Saw these on Ebay, too. Well, they looked similar from the outside. I wonder if they all have the same internals as the cheapies that I've been using.
Like the "magsafe" power connector. Do you have it permanently on or do you charge it when needed? If so, for how long does the battery last?

Funny that you say that. When I bought my DL1000A off a fellow, he threw in the Garmin 595 with it. TPMs were screwed into rubber valve stems. 34,000 km later they're still there.

I've asked that the XT be delivered with the metal stems. Hopefully this will happen.
The rear OEM rubber valve stem popped at 60,400 km, about a year and a month after I got the bike. I would have put the metal stems in earlier before my trip out west but my installer didn't have them. I actually ordered the metal stems before I arrived home but it popped a few days after I arrive home before I could have the new tires and the metal stems installed.

..Tom

·
Registered
'21 1050XT
192 Posts
My first ride on the new bike. Visited the site of a power station that's being demolished (and it's where I started my career in the power industry).

Bike runs great, probably nicer to ride than the old DL1000A. Still getting used to the different mapping options (and how to navigate them on the dash).

Has heated grips fitted by the dealer. Love the cruise control.

Wind noise, well it's a huge difference to the old V-Strom. And may be something to do with the new AGV K6 lid that I also bought.

They say that the seat is hard. So far, after 60km I haven't really noticed it. I'll find out though on the next ride which will be longer.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
'21 1050XT
192 Posts
The panniers clip onto those plastic brackets, do they?

·
Registered
'21 1050XT
192 Posts
Where do you guys hang your lids?

A fellow I know had these helmet hooks made. Designed to go between the handlbar and the end-weight, I decided not to put it there with this bike.

Just made an L bracket up and bolted it to where the Ventura/Grab Rail front bolt is situated.

Not that elegant looking but it works and even has a hole for a padlock.

Automotive tire Hood Fuel tank Automotive lighting Wheel

·
Registered
DL1050 Black/Grey base model
56 Posts
Yes, exactly. Same as the DL1000. I know they get criticised for being plasticky and small, but I like them as they enable filtering (lane splitting) more easily than the aluminium options.
Think I will make do with large topbox and a big dry sack on rear seat , only would use panniers for a couple of times a year , also really don't like being stuck in traffic also store helmet in topbox along with sandwiches for work ;) original seat is ok for a couple of hours for me , guess depends what you used to , last bike was a nc750x which seat was a torture device after 30 mins

·
Registered
2020 V-Strom 1050XT
1,092 Posts
I sit mine on the tank and loop a small wire lock through the chin bar and the handlebar.
I use the wire lock the same way as well, but put it through the holes on the passenger foot peg post (whatever that's for) and hang the lid on it, under the panier out of sight.

·
Registered
DL1050XT
22 Posts
With Givi Skidplate
(RP3118Oil carter protector in brushed and anodised aluminium)
and Givi Deflector
(DF3117Pair of protective transparent handle-bar wind deflectors )
Tire Wheel Sky Plant Vehicle
Tire Sky Wheel Plant Cloud

·
Registered
2020 V-Strom 1050XT
1,092 Posts
With Givi Skidplate
(RP3118Oil carter protector in brushed and anodised aluminium)
and Givi Deflector
(DF3117Pair of protective transparent handle-bar wind deflectors )
Love the oil carter....where did you get it? Looks like it's only in Europe currently.

·
Registered
DL1050XT
22 Posts
The Givi websites are not up to date.
my Givi Dealer in Germany was able to order without any problems, delivery time 10 days

just order it, it works

We in Germany have been able to engage a forum dealer for the German v-stromforum.de,
to make best prices. € 220 for the skidplate ...

·
Registered
2020 1050xt
5 Posts
Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle handlebar

I realized other DL's have a "Show us your DL**** thread" so figured we should have on here as well.

So Please post pictures of your DL1050 here!

..Tom
I realized other DL's have a "Show us your DL**** thread" so figured we should have on here as well.

So Please post pictures of your DL1050 here!

..Tom
Just bought 9/11/21. Added my first farkle today. Waiting for Shad luggage to come in.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

201 - 220 of 265 Posts