StromTrooper banner
601 - 620 of 642 Posts

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
here's a $70 solution / pair, I installed, 4000 lumens each, low profile, comes with a mounting bracket, great so far, no issues after a year.

·
Premium Member
3,483 Posts
I noticed the right one being blocked a tiny bit by the signal light as well, but no big deal to flip the LED lights upside down if it's an issue
Not that you asked, but if conspicuity is your goal, flip 'em over. You want them as low as possible, to form a triangle with your headlight. (Not just my opinion - that's from years of research by railroads.)

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I dunno, there are a lot of red-green colorblind folks out there who might think that's the back of a vehicle ... not good.
When you see one of these, you just "give way" and don't question is it front or rear, I am sure these LED's are RGB and you change the color you like 😉

Reactions: Improperly Torqued

·
Registered
2022 650A
145 Posts
Not that you asked, but if conspicuity is your goal, flip 'em over. You want them as low as possible, to form a triangle with your headlight. (Not just my opinion - that's from years of research by railroads.)

After taking a closer look at how close they were to the turn signals, I decided to flip them.
My goal is not so much conspicuity (which is of course a side benefit), but rather increased light output for night driving
Excuse the mess, I'm running wire under the tank

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

Dusty

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
My goal is not so much conspicuity (which is of course a side benefit), but rather increased light output for night driving
Dusty
you should NOT be using these lights at night, as they do not meet DOT, SAE, E9 requirements...these lamp housings are not designed to cut-off the light properly, and hence, there is danger of blinding oncoming traffic.

I noticed I am blinding some drivers during a very sunny and bright day, every now and then I get a high beam flash :rolleyes:

Reactions: Improperly Torqued

·
Premium Member
3,483 Posts
you should NOT be using these lights at night, as they do not meet DOT, SAE, E9 requirements...these lamp housings are not designed to cut-off the light properly, and hence, there is danger of blinding oncoming traffic.

I noticed I am blinding some drivers during a very sunny and bright day, every now and then I get a high beam flash :rolleyes:
I concur. I didn't want to assume, and I figured I'd already vomited enough unsolicited opinion for one day, but ... yes, since you went there first, what the heck.

It would really suck to not only get hit, but then lose the lawsuit (or get reduced damages) because the other guy's lawyer successfully argued that he was blinded by your noncompliant lights.

I'll try to shut up now.

601 - 620 of 642 Posts