StromTrooper banner

341 - 360 of 392 Posts

·
Registered
2020 650 Vstrom Adventure
78 Posts
"V" - Strom on a "V" - Road ✌😋 View attachment 278753

Does your engine and upper front area get much front wheel mud spray? I have been wanting to remove my oem plastic cowling and install a sump guard but when I check out the front of the bike after a muddy ride the oem cowling is quite muddy all the way up to the top and without it the front of the engine and radiator would be quite splattered. I was thinking maybe a front fender extender would help.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Does your engine and upper front area get much front wheel mud spray? I have been wanting to remove my oem plastic cowling and install a sump guard but when I check out the front of the bike after a muddy ride the oem cowling is quite muddy all the way up to the top and without it the front of the engine and radiator would be quite splattered. I was thinking maybe a front fender extender would help.
yrun** hmm TBH I didn't go to any serious mud just yet, but whatever I did most mud did stick to my Givi belly pan, and eventually fall off due to smooth aluminum, I was also thinking about some kind of rubber "mud flap" rather then extender, because of the very small clearance between the tire and fender. I think Suzuki screwed up on the front fender clearance, they designed the Strom capable of some ADV off roading, but they didn't leave enough room between the tire and the fender. I even heard that some knobbies will eat up the plastic fender from the inside, due to increase of tire circumference at speed. They should have allow at least 1" or better knowing that people will take it off road.

I've seen some Avant fender extenders that have bigger clearance then the fender, not sure if they are OK?

·
Registered
2020 650 Vstrom Adventure
78 Posts
Yea if you go off road in the wet or damp your front will get a lot of spray which bothers me so I'm thinking a fender extender may be in the cards.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Recently picked up this left over 2019 xt touring, working on breaking it in.
Only real mods so far are heated grips and the mirrors got replaced by some with blue tint so I dont get blinded by tailgaters.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Recently picked up this left over 2019 xt touring, working on breaking it in.
Only real mods so far are heated grips and the mirrors got replaced by some with blue tint so I dont get blinded by tailgaters.
so the bike came with engine guards and centre stand at no extra cost?

·
Registered
429 Posts
We got a 14deg C day, most of the snow gone, so one more quick ride on my Strom. Didn't see any "True ADV" (i.e...GS's) bikes around today, probably because there are no Starbucks where I ride :)
IMG_20201027_191536.jpg

IMG_20201027_193718.jpg

IMG_20201027_193210.jpg

IMG_20201027_194213.jpg

·
Registered
2020 DL-650A, 1974 CB450T
33 Posts

Picking her up mid-week. Executive demo with 1,500km. Motech/Suzuki hard luggage, heated grips, knuckle guards, big bar weights. It's also factory lowered right now. May put it back to stock height to gain some ground clearance back as I plan to do some gravel/unimproved road riding with it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Disco, Congrats and maybe you should get your dealer to install some engine guards before you pick her up, you'll be glad you did one day, it's money well spent 😉...and of course a belly pan would be nice

·
Registered
33 Posts
Disco, Congrats and maybe you should get your dealer to install some engine guards before you pick her up, you'll be glad you did one day, it's money well spent 😉...and of course a belly pan would be nice
Haha those two items are at the top of my list, I just want to look around here and decide which ones I want. I was pretty settled on the Motech skid plate, but am curious about the one you have on yours. Which one is that?

·
Registered
2020 DL 650X, 2018 CRF250L
19 Posts
Picked up my new 2020 last week. Super impressed with the bike. Ordered a Ravetech mini skid plate (no single track planned...have a dual sport for that). Next will be Adventuretech fork brace and mirror extenders. Then Aprila mirrors. From there who knows....like it pretty much as is.
20201029_115258.jpg

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
I'm pretty sure I saw it last week when I was getting oil filter for my 650.
View attachment 279261
Picking her up mid-week. Executive demo with 1,500km. Motech/Suzuki hard luggage, heated grips, knuckle guards, big bar weights. It's also factory lowered right now. May put it back to stock height to gain some ground clearance back as I plan to do some gravel/unimproved road riding with it.
I'm pretty sure I saw it when I was there last week picking up an oil filter for my 650. Good choice. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Haha those two items are at the top of my list, I just want to look around here and decide which ones I want. I was pretty settled on the Motech skid plate, but am curious about the one you have on yours. Which one is that?
mine is Givi, not the thickest, but it came with a bike, I don't do extreme single trails, and I only occasionally hit the humps and so far nothing broke, today I just did an oil change and had to remove the pan, had it in my hands and it feels solid, the mounting brackets hmmmm not so much, imho the brackets would be better if made by some 1/4" material, and wider. Also I don't like the location of the bottom 4 screws with alan head, they are at the lowest points and over time they will get scrapped and damaged and the alan key won't fit anymore.
Maybe a piece of stainless steel plate can be cut to size and riveted to the bottom to protect the Givi aluminum a bit better (i.e. those household/office door kickplates are good choice)

·
Registered
33 Posts
mine is Givi, not the thickest, but it came with a bike, I don't do extreme single trails, and I only occasionally hit the humps and so far nothing broke, today I just did an oil change and had to remove the pan, had it in my hands and it feels solid, the mounting brackets hmmmm not so much, imho the brackets would be better if made by some 1/4" material, and wider. Also I don't like the location of the bottom 4 screws with alan head, they are at the lowest points and over time they will get scrapped and damaged and the alan key won't fit anymore.
Maybe a piece of stainless steel plate can be cut to size and riveted to the bottom to protect the Givi aluminum a bit better (i.e. those household/office door kickplates are good choice)
Thanks for the info. I think I am going to order up a Motech one today. They look solid right from the factory, and nothing really hangs down on them. I'm still not sure which crash bars to go with.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I picked up the new ride last night and got out for a wee ride today. Motech ammo cans off, crappy 15 year old tank bag on (for now). It has the Suzuki lowering kit (GSXR links, seat, kickstand) on it for now (came as a demo) but I may go back to stock once they send me all the original parts as I liked the feel of the unlowered one I took for a test drive. I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam. Planning on some gravel roads, but nothing too hardcore.

341 - 360 of 392 Posts