StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I noticed the rear subframe is now black, but the stock grab bars are still silver. Poco a poco...

One of these years I'll get around to painting my subframe but no easy way like the grab bar.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I removed silver paint from the rear rack. The plastic that it's made of is black. Removing the paint involved a lot of scrubbing with cloth and paint thinner. After I finished I polished it with soft wheel on my drilling machine and car paint polish. At the end I applied black shoe wax with little sponge and after it dried I polished it with soft dry cloth. Now it looks like it's been painted black and no more scrathes will bust my ba**s.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I removed silver paint from the rear rack. The plastic that it's made of is black. Removing the paint involved a lot of scrubbing with cloth and paint thinner. After I finished I polished it with soft wheel on my drilling machine and car paint polish. At the end I applied black shoe wax with little sponge and after it dried I polished it with soft dry cloth. Now it looks like it's been painted black and no more scrathes will bust my ba**s.
Really makes one wonder why they go to the extra trouble of painting it with all the issues that causes. Also not sure why they thought silver was an improvement in looks over the black like they did on the 650.

·
Registered
373 Posts

Hard to see, but I have the SW Motech: crashbars, skid plate, chain guard, Rear brake reservoir protector, tank bag and Oxford Heated Grips

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 2017 DL1000XT currently with 4500ks and heaps of accessories installed with a few more planned...

Givi- Rad guard, Rear hugger , E21 panniers, E45 Top Box, Engine bars , Tanklock system, Airflow windscreen , Skid plate
Suzuki mirror extenders, Aprilia mirrors, Custom seat ( just to much yellow) , Barrett slip on pipe, Garmin 390 zumo,
plus various Ravetech bolt ons and Auxiliary lights arriving soon .

Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts

Hard to see, but I have the SW Motech: crashbars, skid plate, chain guard, Rear brake reservoir protector, tank bag and Oxford Heated Grips

Those saddlebags go well with the bike, they really blend in nicely. They also do a good job of hiding the exhaust which is a big plus. That large canister does the bike no favors when the bike is naked, it just sticks out there too much.

·
Registered
257 Posts

Have those side cases proven to be large enough for your needs? I like there clean look but each side is about 10 liters smaller than most of the boxy aluminum ones.

NC

·
Registered
373 Posts
Have those side cases proven to be large enough for your needs? I like there clean look but each side is about 10 liters smaller than most of the boxy aluminum ones.

NC

Ummmm, I keep my first aid kit and tire repair kit, wet riding garments (Frog Togs), in my right side pannier, With plenty of space for more. In the left one is where I keep stuff for me: food, change of clothes, extra riding gear, and water. Now this is my daily load. For a trip, I don’t know if they will do the job. For commuting and day tripping they seem more then adequate.

2018 V-Strom 1000 XT
Past Rides:
2008 BMW K1200S, 2005(x2) Triumph Sprint ST 1050, 2005 BMW R1150R, 2004 Suzuki Intruder 1500, 2003 Yamaha 650 V-Star,1992 Honda 125 Enduro
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Enjoying the new Suzuki which I am finding easier to use at lower speeds than my previous Kawasaki Versys 1000.

The only thing that I miss at the moment is that the space under the seat is about a quarter of what I used to have.

Just trying out some Fatbars that I had with some 2” Rox risers but I am not to sure about them might try some lower risers.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Enjoying the new Suzuki which I am finding easier to use at lower speeds than my previous Kawasaki Versys 1000.

The only thing that I miss at the moment is that the space under the seat is about a quarter of what I used to have.

Just trying out some Fatbars that I had with some 2” Rox risers but I am not to sure about them might try some lower risers.
Was there something about the Versys you didn't like that prompted you to switch? Three years ago I was about to get a Versys but then got a fantastic deal on the V2 so I went with that. I've never ridden the Versys so I have wondered if I would have liked it better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think I would have kept the Kawasaki as it was a very comfortable distance bike ,especially after I had fitted a gel seat and Nitron rear shocker.

My problems for me was no matter what I changed I suffered from numb hands cruising at 60-70 mph after about half an hour which only improved if I travel around 90mph which is not to good for my licence.

The other issue was at low to stopping speed ,even though I could get both feet on the floor I always had a anxiousness feel when landing my feet when two up.

If we stopped on well paved roads it was not such a problem but as a lot of the roads that we like to travel on have uneven surfaces and gravel I started to lose confidence and tried not to stop to much.

The wife could tell the difference between me riding the Kawasaki and our Honda NC750x which I can ride all day long with no issues at all and even though she thought that the gel seat on the Kawasaki was the best seat that she has used on a bike she agreed that we should try a different bike as the issues started to put me off riding the Kawasaki and I started using the Honda a lot more which is predominately my commuter bike .

After I have done a few more miles on the Suzuki and go for a long ride out with the wife I will be in a better position to compare it to the Kawasaki.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Thanks for that info. I know I didn't make a bad decision, and maybe made the best one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
a fine pair

Finallt got round to some photos. Here's the new V-banana, next to my beloved SV1KS..

That's 200hp and 150ft/lb right there..

aw man, I'd actually like to ride a bike with these two slammed together....

https://imgur.com/a/EJC7uZl
https://imgur.com/a/r6K0QcD

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Picked up this guy up yesterday. Brand new 2018 XT. Traded in my pretty darn new 2017 Africa Twin for it. Just wasn't feeling the AT, and decided to come back to a Strom.

Already got a center stand, crash bars, heated grips, seat ordered. One of the windscreen mounting bolts was broken off so I've got to drill that out and replace it.

I did a 260 mile ride home from the dealer, and enjoyed it. Seems more peppy than the AT, has way better instrumentation, brakes are about on par, seating position is a little more cramped. Buffeting and air flow from the windscreen feels about the same. Definitely better on the pavement and especially in the twisties than the AT is.

21 - 40 of 88 Posts