StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently received a GoPro and am working out how best to mount it to my Wee.

The kit came with a way to mount to my helmet, but I'm not sure I want to go that route.

I picked up a chest harness and gave it a try on a short ride. I ended up with lots of footage of my tank and handlebars.

What's working for people?

·
Registered
483 Posts
With the GoPro the helmet is the way to go for many people. It looks where you're looking and you don't usually forget about it when you return from a ride. My son went the GoPro route with the helmet mount. I'm not a fan of that setup because what I wanted is a dash cam that I didn't have to think about every time I fired up the bike. My camera is more for recording what took place in the event of an unfortunate incident. My sons is more for making cool bike riding videos.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My Hero Session has just over 2 hours of battery life before needing a charge. So if I'm going for a long ride I use this mount so I can attach a charging cable while riding. Otherwise I mount it to my helmet.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I have been working on this for a mount mount. I like to have the camera plugged into to power as most action cameras
only have about 30 minutes of record time. Because camera is plugged in I didn't want it on my helmet. Verdict is still out.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have three cameras when I ride. I have the Innovv K2 front and back and a Sena Prism on the helmet. I mounted the front camera under the front of the beak and the rear out the back of the license plate assembly reflector. I removed the light bulb and replaced it with an LED to make room. I had the Prism before I installed the K2 and decided to keep it. It shows where I am looking and if something happens it continues to run after I stop the bike and take the helmet off. The K2 memory card holds about 20 hours of video and overwrites the old when it gets full. The Prism does not overwrite so I have to periodically empty it. The battery life is about two hours but I have to remember to charge it.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Get extra bases and then you can mount the camera multiple places depending on what view you are looking for. Currently I been experimenting with the darkside and wanted to see 1st hand whats going on so I stuck a mount on the skid plate and aimed it at the tire. I also bought an angle finder to tie wrap to the center stand. Then i'll be able to see the tire and the angle finder in the field of view to be able to compare car to motorcycle tires and lean angles. Well that' the plan anyways.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After my plan with the chest harness didn't work out, I experimented with mounting behind my windscreen. But my screen is pretty dingy and scratched, so the video through it isn't great.

My latest approach is to try the helmet mount. I didn't want the big contraption attached to my good Shoei helmet, so I pulled out my semi-retired Scorpion lid and attached to that. I figure I can wear that for times I want to film, at least until I come up with other ideas.

I do like the approach of attaching a gambel to the crash bar, so that's a possibility.

Also interesting to read about the Innovv K2. I just listened to an interview on one of my motorcycling podcasts with the owner of the company, who described the product. I like the idea it's hard-wired and constantly recording.Also, the cameras are much more low-profile than the GoPro.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have a couple of suggestions. The suction cup mount is really quite good. It's used by a lot of youtubers, and once it is on, it is on.

I have a gen one bike and had a mount up front under the headlights. It shook my first Hero 3 off the bike somehow. I was very sad. If you are going to use a mount that is somewhat out of sight, I would suggest purchasing the smart and cheap insurance of the GoPro tether kit:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts