StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my '09 Wee to set up as a sport-touring mount because of it's long range and ergonomic riding position. I've seen plenty of Stroms set up here with an adventure-touring bias but not a lot of pure sport touring rigs.

For me sport-touring bikes need the following:
->200 mile range
-hard bags, tail & side
-all-day riding position
-cruise or throttle lock
-good wind control
-accessory plug for heated gear
-heated grips and/or seat
-center stand

what they don't need:
-a heavy engine guard or skid plate. I like the look but is it worth 20 lbs on a lightweight bike that doesn't have an excess of power? I'd like a plastic engine guard just to keep the road grime off the front of the engine block.
-knobby or off-road tires. Street biased tires like pilot roads preferred.

So here's a thread to show off and discuss the sport-touring side of the Strom. Post away :thumbup:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
It looks like we like the same things. Here's my bike in pure touring and pure sports modes plus an updated pic with tall shield but no luggage. 2007 Suzuki DL650 w/ABS plus Fenda Extenda, sport and touring MP shields, clear signal lenses, hand guards, Audiovox CC-100 cruise control, NEP CC4 throttle lock, clock/temp/voltmeter guage, Scotts steering stabilizer, 2 Heat-Trollers, Sargent seat, SV Racing sliders, Adventure Motostuff turn signal conversion kit, HotGrips with Grip Puppies, SW-Motech sidecase racks w/tool tube - center stand - engine guards, Givi E36 side cases and E45 topcase, fork gaiters, dual headlight relays plus single headlight cutoff switch and PC8 fuse block, Stebel horn, Superbrace, EBC HH front brake pads, Emgo mirrors, garage door opener, 2 cigar lighter type sockets, earbuds with two jacks wired to bike for Garmin Zumo 550, Elka shock, Pat Walsh dash with stiffener, 2 Ram ball mounts, LED turn signals including front running lights and LED tail lights plus below cowling running lights, Traxxion fork cartridges, speed bleeders, FutureVision HID headlights, MOSFET regulator and tapered roller steering head bearings. Michelin Pilot Road tires are on presently.

·
Registered
662 Posts

Touring mods include:

Givi 3 case setup
Suzuki Gel seat / Sheepskin
Madstad adjustable bracket / Givi windscreen
Reflective all around
Motech bars and centerstand
Tourmaster synergy heated vest

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those are some nice set-ups...

as far as sport-touring tires go what are the options in Strom sizes? Do you notice a big improvement in handling by swapping the dual sport tires for street rubber?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had Pilot Roads on my strom in that pic above. Now I have the Distanzias. There is a noticeable difference, but I can't say its enough to slow me down. The Pilot Roads were really predictable and had great traction and feel. The Distanzias have less of all 3, but they have good traction still. So, in the end, it doesn't bother me enough to prevent me from railing it.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I like the Pilot Roads well enough to have ordered extras as they are no longer going to be available in the USA in sizes to fit our bikes. Their combination of stickiness, stability and longevity is superior to other types I've tried.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Those are some nice set-ups...

as far as sport-touring tires go what are the options in Strom sizes? Do you notice a big improvement in handling by swapping the dual sport tires for street rubber?
Not to make this a tire thread, but i found the stock trail-wings to be a pretty good tire, on par with bt-020s in terms of handling. After my last set on my DL1000 i went with the battlewings, which seemed to turn in better.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Farkles and touring set up

2007 V-Strom 650, non-ABS
Currently have 28,000+ miles
Farkles from front to rear:

• Givi windshield and Madstad bracket
  • FendaExtenda
  • 12-volt socket (front-left fairing)
  • NEP-CC4 Throttle lock
  • Suzuki hand-guards
  • Retro-reflective stickers on hand guards and various other parts
  • Garmin Zumo 450 GPS
  • Wolfman Explorer Lite tank bag with waterproof cover (in back pocket)
  • Sargent saddle
  • HJC SyMax II helmet
  • Suzuki center stand
  • Givi E41 side cases (I also have E21's for smaller trips and daily commuting)
  • DID 'gold' chain
  • Waterproof duffel bag
  • Givi V46 top case
  • Metzeler Tourance tires (I avg. 9,000 miles per set; I love these tires)
I run Castrol non-synthetic ACT-EVO X-tra oil and OEM Suzuki oil filters, changing both every 3,000 miles. I use Teflon multi-lube from DuPont on the chain, any time it rains or every 500 miles or so, whichever occurs first.

I tend to run between 250-350 miles per day with this set up on multi-day rides, usually between 5-12 days per trip total. I only seem to get sore (shoulders, ass, wrists) when riding long straight stretches. I never get any kind of physical discomfort when riding the twisties.

I wear an Aerostich Darien jacket, Fieldshear Mercury pants, and Sidi Canyon boots. I only wear Draggin kevlar jeans when it's above 80 degrees out, but everything else remains the same ATGATT get up.

The E41 side cases aren't entirely waterproof, despite marketing claims to the contrary, but they hold a lot. The E21 side cases (not pictured) are waterproof, as well as the V46 top case.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

2007 V-Strom 650, non-ABS
Currently have 28,000+ miles
Farkles from front to rear:

• Givi windshield and Madstad bracket
  • FendaExtenda
  • 12-volt socket (front-left fairing)
  • Suzuki hand-guards
  • Retro-reflective stickers on hand guards and various other parts
  • Garmin Zumo 450 GPS
  • Wolfman Explorer Lite tank bag with waterproof cover (in back pocket)
  • Sargent saddle
  • HJC SyMax II helmet
  • Suzuki center stand
  • Givi E41 side cases (I also have E21's for smaller trips and daily commuting)
  • After-market 'gold' chain (I can't remember the brand)
  • Waterproof duffel bag
  • Givi V46 top case
  • Metzler Tourance tires (I avg. 9,000 miles per set; I love these tires)
I run Castrol non-synthetic oil and OEM Suzuki oil filters, changing both every 3,000 miles. I use Teflon multi-lube from DuPont on the chain, any time it rains or every 500 miles or so, whichever occurs first.

I tend to run between 250-350 miles per day with this set up on multi-day rides, usually between 5-12 days per trip total. I only seem to get sore (shoulders, ass, wrists) when riding long straight stretches. I never get any kind of physical discomfort when riding the twisties.

The E41 side cases aren't entirely waterproof, despite marketing claims to the contrary, but they hold a lot. The E21 side cases (not pictured) are waterproof, as well as the V46 top case.
That's just about the perfect setup. Got heated grips or a throttle lock on there? I'm kind of torn about putting heated grips on...I had them on my BMWs and loved them but they were integrated and didn't have the aftermarkety look that the Vstrom options have. I sure used them a lot though.

·
Registered
942 Posts
That's just about the perfect setup. Got heated grips or a throttle lock on there? I'm kind of torn about putting heated grips on...I had them on my BMWs and loved them but they were integrated and didn't have the aftermarkety look that the Vstrom options have. I sure used them a lot though.
I _do_ have a throttle lock, and have edited my original post to include that in the farkle list. No heated grips, though. It's only a half dozen days throughout the year when I really wish I had some (like last December when I rode to work when it was 9 degrees out. That's F, not C, for you Canadians that think "9 degrees? What's the big deal with that?")

I also have an Alaskan sheepskin saddle pad but never use it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2005 DL1000 Blue

• Givi Windshield
• 2 Powerlet 12 sockets, one each side of fairing
• Throttle Rocker
• Suzuki Hand Guards
• Suzuki Heated Grips
• Garmin Zumo 550 GPS w/XM Radio interface
• SW Center Stand
• SW Crash Bars
• Bags Connection Quick-Lock Tank Bag
• Hepco & Becker Gobi Side & Top Cases
• Suzuki Gel Seat
• GenMar Handlebar Risers
• IMS Super-Stock Footpegs

I always use Mobil 1 full synthetic with Stock Suzuki Oil Filter. I lube the chain with Honda White Graphite chain lube about every 500 +/- miles. I’m not religious about the chain lubing. The Gobi Cases seem to be huge compared to others. Plus they are double walled & waterproof. You can even get a petcock if you decide to use one as a cooler. They are not real aerodynamic so you need to be cautious in the wind. The heated grips are a plus in the winter but the summer heat will have you taking the hand guards off. I wear a Cortech Jacket with a Gerbing Heated liner for them super cold rides. I have a set of lightweight Fieldshear Gloves for most of my riding and carry the Gerbing heated gloves depending on the time of year. Monkey Butt Powder for all rides & lots of sunblock. The Zumo for guidance and the XM Radio (on low volume) to set the mood and I’m good to go. :hurray:

Steve

·
Registered
853 Posts

I bought my '09 Wee to set up as a sport-touring mount because of it's long range and ergonomic riding position. I've seen plenty of Stroms set up here with an adventure-touring bias but not a lot of pure sport touring rigs.

For me sport-touring bikes need the following:
->200 mile range easily
-hard bags, tail & side Jesse/Givi
-all-day riding position Russel Day Long Saddle
-cruise or throttle lock Kaoko (sp?)
-good wind control Madstad
-accessory plug for heated gear Powerlet & aux fuse box
-heated grips and/or seat grips
-center stand vstroma.com

what they don't need:
-a heavy engine guard or skid plate. I like the look but is it worth 20 lbs on a lightweight bike that doesn't have an excess of power? I'd like a plastic engine guard just to keep the road grime off the front of the engine block.
-knobby or off-road tires. Street biased tires like pilot roads preferred.

I also have the Walsh plate/bars combo...doesn't seem to slow me down any.
Metzler Tourance tires (I'm planning to try a Michelin Anakee up front)

So here's a thread to show off and discuss the sport-touring side of the Strom. Post away :thumbup:
Red lettering is mine

·
Registered
503 Posts

Suzuki center stand
Corbin Canyon seat
Power Commander
SW Motech engine guard
Piaa Aux Driving Lights
Throttle Lock
Grip Puppies
Hot Grips heated grips
Mirror extenders
Givi side (E41) and top (E460) case
Adventure Motostuff Adjustable Topcase Mount
GIVI E81 Top Case Rack for Monokey E360/E460
Hyper Lite brake light
Power and ground block under seat
Madstad windshield adj. bracket
Givi windshield
Kisan Chargeguard multi meter (amp/volt/temp)
Battery Tender connector under seat
Fender extender
Superbrace fork brace
Suzuki tank cover
Clear turn signal lens cover
MotoLED Turn Signals
Fastways foot pegs
Garmin Zumo 550 GPS
Nelson Rig Half cover bike cover
Headlight mask
Up and Back handle bar risers
Alum. Dash Shelf for Variable heated grip control, on/off switch for heated grips and 12v outlet.
12 volt power outlet under seat
Adventure MotoStuff Skid Plate
Suzuki rubber frame protectors
Touratech side stand large foot (modified for the DL1000)
Eastern Beaver "H4 Dual Headlight Relay Kit"
GI Pro gear indicator
Highway bars
(2) Agri Supply tool tubes mounted
Extension tubes for TBS adjustments
Digital dash thermometer

·
Registered
295 Posts
2005 DL650 with 21,000 miles with the following farkles :

• Suzuki Skid Plate
• Gen Mar Handle bar Riser
• Givi E-528Top Case Mounting Plate
• Hepco & Becker Engine Guard
• Hepco & Becker Bag Mounts
• Hepco & Becker 30 liter Saddlebag
• Hepco & Becker 40 Liter Saddlebag
• Sargent Saddle
• Madstad Windshield Bracket
• Acerbis Hand Guards
• Hyper Lites LED
• Fenda-Extenda Front
• GI Pro Gear Indicator
• Garmin 2820 GPS
• NEP Cruise Control
• AutoCom Super Pro AVi
• Murphs Fork Brace
• Wolfman Explorer Lite Tank Bag

Hmmm...there's more but I forgot !!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Here's a photo in touring mode from a Northern New England tour with my youngest daughter:

That was in August, a lot has changed on my bike since then. However, here's the skinny on it back then:

'02 DL1000
Stock 'Zuk Windshield (I have two tall windshields but in the 4 - 6 weeks of 'summer' we get here, I put the stocker on to get more air flow over me).
DL650 Seat with cheap modified WalMart beaded seat (beads and seat now replaced with a Russell Day Long)
GPS mount on clutch reservoir (that is now gone, still searching for a new place to mount it)
Cortech min mag tank bag
Kappa 36L side bags (I still have them)
Give E52L Top Case with the rack (comes in handy for storing "wet stuff")
Stock Silver/Grey paint scheme (now maroon & black)
Stock Front, Rear, and chain (Replaced shortly after with 17/43 + 530)
Front: TA
Rear: TW (Replaced in December with a matching TA)
Audiovox Intercomm (you can't see it under the seat)
Stock handlebars (Now have Pro-Taper Raptors)

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Here is how it sits now (more in commuter mode at the moment):

Other than the color, the biggest noticeable change is that big honkin, cushy, Russell Day Long.

Givi E21's in place (for commuting)
Highway pegs (I honestly don't remember where I bought them from)
Speed-O-Healer (to help fix the odi error with the 17/43 combo)
Pro-Taper Raptor bars
I have my lower 'tall' windscreen with those plexiglass wings on the sides. I just received an even taller windscreen that I picked up in the For Sale section, I will be using it in the next few weeks.

The rear TA is on.

Other niceties:
Warm 'N Safe Heated gloves (The 'Troller is mounted on the front panel beneath the instrument cluster).
Gerbing heated liner
Rick's Shelf with two powerlets and a digital voltmeter.

I think that about covers it.

·
Registered
962 Posts
What your trying to accomplish would be a similar setup to probably 70+% of Strom owners here. I, and most, have many of the fore-mentioned farkles in some form or another.
The only thing I would disagree with you on would be the crash bars. It adds a little weight, sure, but it'll add a lot of protection if you drop the bike.
The best deal for heated grips are the oxfords, ebay for 60 bucks.

That Russell seat looks sweet!!!

Ken

1 - 20 of 130 Posts