StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the Suzuki skid plate recently because I have become quite paranoid about my highly exposed oil filter. I am very curious what it is going to look like. I've seen a few pictures of the Givi skid plate, and I didn't personally like it, so I opted for the Suzuki made item with similar body styling to the rest of the bike. Would anyone care to share pictures of your bike with installed skid plates (Givi, Suzuki, or any else)?

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,424 Posts
Some will tell you the Suzuki part is worthless for protection. While it ain't fer jumpin' logs it could deflect a fairly substantial object from the filter! My purpose was to fill in the area in front of the engine that looks like something is missing. What I also get is something that makes a LOT of difference in how much crap from the road gets thrown onto the exhaust pipe and engine! I think it really cleans up the looks too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Some will tell you the Suzuki part is worthless for protection. While it ain't fer jumpin' logs it could deflect a fairly substantial object from the filter! My purpose was to fill in the area in front of the engine that looks like something is missing. What I also get is something that makes a LOT of difference in how much crap from the road gets thrown onto the exhaust pipe and engine! I think it really cleans up the looks too.

I'm in love! How much did you pay?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks for the shots! I think it looks very nice. I have seen only the zoomed in shot of the region on Suzuki's site-I liked the zoomed out shot. It seems the fit the styling of the bike excellently.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm with RealShelby on this one. The Suzuki lower cowling is great for street riding. I find that I don't need a FendaExtenda either.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm with RealShelby on this one. The Suzuki lower cowling is great for street riding. I find that I don't need a FendaExtenda either.
I don't plan on doing any offroading myself. Just bought the bike for a nice street rider. I like that skid plate-it really makes the bike look different. Thanks for the pic.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I don't plan on doing any offroading myself. Just bought the bike for a nice street rider. I like that skid plate-it really makes the bike look different. Thanks for the pic.

Just to be clear, this is not a skid plate in any fashion but it does a nice job of protecting the header and oil filter from anything the front wheel might throw off. It strikes me as well engineered and is pretty sturdy once installed. You can however reach right up underneath the cowling and remove the filter (which I appreciate for an oil change). Probably more than enough protection for street riding.

Enjoy your new scooter.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I agree that the OEM cowling is great for street and even some gravel road protection. I bought one when I bought the bike and have been very satisfied with it. However, I'm venturing off the beaten path riding forest service roads now and need better protection. I have removed the OEM cowling and have installed crash bars. I have ordered a skid plate for better protection.

I will be selling the OEM cowling soon.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I put the under cowling on my DL650. I also put a belly pan on my SV650S. While it does offer some protection for the exposed oil filter, I think it fills out the engine and makes the bike look better.

·
Registered
40 Posts
A word of caution when you go to install the Suzuki lower cowling.

It has a support bracket that attaches to the threaded bosses on the forward cylinder using small machine screws (6mm IIRC). The instructions say to torque these to 10 N-M.

When I went to install the bracket, I first hand threaded the steel machine screws into the aluminum bosses on the cylinder. When I attempted to tighten the right one to the specified torque value of 10 N-M, the head snapped off at 7 N-M.

With nothing of the threaded portion of the machine screw projecting from the boss to grab onto, I attempted to remove it by pressing the eraser end of a pencil against the machine screw. No luck. My next step would have been to use an easy out, but at this point I took the cowling and bike back to the dealer explaining I wanted to return the cowling, having lost confidence in the quality of the item, and that I expected them to remove the machine screw stud from the cylinder boss (I figured why should I take the risk of causing damage when this was a failure of a Suzuki accessory they sold).

After waiting around for about an hour while the service shop worked on removing the machine screw stud, they explained they were unable to remove it. Upon inspecting the bike, I found that in their attempt to remove they had drilled into the stud, letting the drill bit slip into the cylinder boss to the point of penetrating the boss wall near the junction between the boss and cylinder. By inspection with a magnifying glass I concluded the damage did not extend into the cylinder wall itself so that there was no risk of loss of integrity to the water jacket (which is what the external, visible portion of the cylinder is at this location). But, there was no using the boss to attach anything to.

While incredulous at what the service shop had done, I knew that the only way to repair this damage would involve replacing the front cylinder, which would involve more complication and additional risk of something going wrong than was worth it, especially since I had no intention of installing the Suzuki cowling (though it also means I cannot install any third party skid plate that attaches to the bosses - several do, but a number do not; e.g. the SW Motech skid plate).

The 10 N-M torque specified by Suzuki in the cowling installation instructions is a low value for a 6mm machine screw, limited I am sure because of the aluminum threads of the boss. Still, my recommendation to anyone installing the Suzuki cowling would be to throw away the machine screws that come with the kit and purchase graded machines screws of the same dimension, even a low 3 line grade would provide additional security against such a failure (I hope).

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have the OEM lower cowling on my bike. While I have heard it fend off a few stones on the fire roads, it does not have an ounce of protection for the bottom (and most vulnerable part) of the engine. Several times I have banged the exhaust on a rock and the cowling didnt hit first giving me a heads up.
Personally I would look at a set up that covers the belly as opposed to the front. There are light plastic models available too.
Just my $0.02

·
Registered
176 Posts
I too was once looking for a skid plate/oil filter protector. To me, the Suzuki one did not offer enough protection. I went with the Touratech skid plate. I think it is the best compromose of filling the gap wthout looking to big and terrible like some of the skid plates.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I agree the OEM cowling looks great and fits the lines of the bike. It should have been part of the bike to begin with.

But, for the price they're charging for it, I just couldn't justify the cost when you can get any other real skid plate for the same or less $$.

So I got the Enduro Guardian plate in aluminum and now can stop worrying about the exposed oil filter and header pipe. It also serves a great jack up point. A bit of overkill, but I like it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts