StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use my centerstand and a car jack with a block of wood underneath the engine to lift the front of my Strom for servicing. But it is not stable enough. I don't like doing that. I am going to make some simple front fork stands so both wheels on my bike can easily come off the ground at the same time.

That gets me thinking...

What do you do to get both wheels off the ground for servicing? Do you use a car jack? Jack stands? Hydraulic floor jack? Front fork stands? Bike lift? Headstock stands? Footpeg stands? Home made stands? Cinder blocks? Wood blocks? Tie down straps over the garage rafters? 4x4 blocks? Tripletree stands?

Show us what you use to get your bike off the ground, whatever you use...

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Haven't done it to the strom yet, as I'd have to do it on the street, but back when I had 5 bikes and a garage, I've always used a car jack under the swingarm, and then jackstands under the swingarm. For the front, I jack it up under the engine and leave the jack there.
There's no particular need for the bike to be super stable since all you're probably doing is taking the wheels off. You could be a bit safer by taking one wheel off at a time and making two trips to the tire store...

·
Registered
722 Posts
First time I strapped the front end to an A-frame ladder:

That works, but it is a bitch to work on the bike with it like that; the ladder is always in your way.

Now I've put some HD eye bolts into the ceiling and strap to them:

Pretty stable and much easier to work around.

I do not have a belly pan on mine. And so there really isn't much flat under there that is suitable as a jack point, in my opinion. Also I don't trust it stability wise. In my case I was removing and playing with the front forks. So I needed the bike stable enough to get a large breaker bar on to free the fork caps and such. Would not have felt comfortable doing that on a bike teetering on a pair of jack stands.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Full assortment of Pitbull stands including a rear swingarm stand for use with bikes that have spools and 2 styles of front stands - one that lifts from the bottom of the fork legs and another that lifts the front from the bottom of the steering stem.

I've also done the small car floor jack and pieces of 4x4 or 2x4 under the engine to support the front end, it's perfectly stable if you're using a rear stand with swingarm spools.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
I have a universal swing arm stand that lifts the rear. It is not spool it has L shapes that go under the swing arm. Have used it for 20 years including winter storage. Also best for chain adjust as weight is still compressing rear.

Front have good rolling jack and ratchet straps for safety. I try to avoid 2 wheels off at a time and do my own tires so one at a time

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
"Also best for chain adjust as weight is still compressing rear."
OK, I gotta ask, cause I just bought a swingarm stand, how much slack
in the chain, when on the stand, 1.5 " ???

original question, I bought a swingarm stand at Harbor Freight a couple months ago,for $25.00 Best money I've spent in a while, I used it while installing the centerstand, and for general maintenance, it's great. Now, I'll pick up a fork stand for the front. I used to put my dl1000 on the centerstand, remove the rear wheel, then using ratchet straps, from the garage rafters, lift the front, pull that wheel, and run both wheels to MC USA for new tire mount and balance. It was always a nervous day though, it never seemed very stable balancing that way. I'll be much more comfortable with it on a rear and front stand, at a total cost of $100 or so.

·
Registered
280 Posts
No photo's but a cheap miniature electric hoist from Graingers slung between two cieling joists is nice. from it I can do about anything. Front, back, both .... actually lift off floor or just put tension on slings to take all wobble out of bike. If you "pick" it from a high point on the bike it hangs super stable.
dave

BTW, the hoist is 110volt plugs in and uses a small, like #35 standard roller chain to lift. Not wire rope or welded chain link. Capacity? ... I forget but it doesn't struggle with a 600# bike.

·
Registered
664 Posts
If you are quick enough with a wrench, all you need is a sweet ramp. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts