StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pick up trucks are most used for sure. But how else are bikes being hauled around these days? Any new ideas out there?

Photos please...

·
Registered
386 Posts
Not sure about new ideas but here are 2 related. One is a 14' utility I borrowed for our trip to Lake Louise. We hauled to New Mexico and rode from there. I think it was 102F when we left on that one. The second is my little 3-rail I used for a weekend getaway to Arkansas. The 3-rail is near perfect for a V-Strom. The rails hug a 150 tire so tight you can actually just let it sit until you can tie it down, almost like a front chock.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Again, not new, but heres my rig. Simple $600 dollar utility trailer, has a 1200 lb weight capacity, 5'x8', and a $30 chock from Harbor Freight.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I don't tow bikes very often. Had to tow my new 'strom home earlier this year, this was my solution: A borrowed 4x8 utility trailer. The wheel 'chock' is a bit of 2x6 lashed to the front of the trailer, then the front wheel is lashed to that. Ramp is a home-brew concoction inspired by these instructions. Mine is only ~2' wide. Plenty for a v-strom.

I'm the paranoid type, so there are probably 2x the straps that were actually required. Bike didn't move an inch in the roughly 100 mile ride home.

Seeing a wee loaded up on a trailer reminds you how 'wee' a wee really isn't!

·
Registered
722 Posts
when I brought mine home, I kept seeing the headlights in my mirror and thinking I was being chased by an angry owl:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
4'x8' harbor freight trailer

4'x8' harbor freight trailer, ply deck; removable eyebolts added (Tee-nuts on the underside - set in reinforcing blocks of ply_

have trailered EX250 and an old jap liter bike, not yet trailered Wee

·
Registered
900 Posts
I don't have a pix of it, but, a freind of mine has an enclosed utility trailer. One of those white ones with a side door near the front. Must measure about 5x10. He had a van conversion company put a stainless counter accross the front, with sink, water tank,heater etc. It has fold down bunks across the sides. So he uses it all week for work, then sweeps it out, puts th bikes in to haul them, and when you take the bikes out, it's a camper. Works really well.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kendon makes trailers I like but I don't have one. To me the less the better when it comes to bike haulers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Have any of you ever used one of those "one wheel" haulers that holds the front wheel somewhere near the trailer hitch? Those things just look like a disaster waiting to happen. Maybe someone here can prove that wrong...

·
Registered
722 Posts
Those things just look like a disaster waiting to happen.
I couldn't agree more. Horrible idea.

I have been told that they are also a legal issue if the bike is not plated too.

Just get a trailer.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
This is the only way I want to see a V-Strom on a trailer:

·
Registered
3,668 Posts

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Ford Transit Connect. V-Strom is a little too long, though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It hauls snowmobiles in the Winter and bikes in the Summer. Two Ninja's that my twin sons ride with a V-Strom in the middle. The first pictures are on the infamous 555 in Southern Ohio. The last picture is with two sleds after we stopped at the top of the pass on I-80 in Wyoming.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Small utility trailer to get the V home after purchase.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I used my Home Depot utility trailer the one time I had to haul my bike. Normally I'm completely against trailering a bike but there just wasn't room for three of us on board!

Bolted on a wheel chock I built from some scrap aluminum I had in the shop and we were off...

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Nothing special here, Lowes Utility trailer, '92 toyota. Wife has the red Versys. A third Choke is in the center for single hauls

1 - 20 of 39 Posts