StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Dl650A
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my grips off to some work, ended up removing the ignition assembly too. Now, putting it back together I have this gap between the throttle tube lip and the assy. Looking at my friends Versys, I don’t see anything like it on his throttle side, and I’m unsure if it was there before or not.

Any advice?

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Hmmm, will the flange on the left fit inside the housing? If the cable is coming off the throttle tube in a straight line with the curved chrome cable guide I would say it is OK. But my brain says it is not correct.

·
Registered
2012 Dl650A
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, will the flange on the left fit inside the housing? If the cable is coming off the throttle tube in a straight line with the curved chrome cable guide I would say it is OK. But my brain says it is not correct.
Not as far as I can tell. There are some plastic bits that make it wider than the opening of the housing. It seems to work perfectly fine, but it looks off, doesn’t it?

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
@bobcat011 ........Yes it does look off. Have you popped the housing apart to see how the cable routing looks. That is what I would do.

Is it a stock tube or did maybe somebody have a throttle lock installed on it.

·
Registered
2012 Dl650A
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@bobcat011 ........Yes it does look off. Have you popped the housing apart to see how the cable routing looks. That is what I would do.

Is it a stock tube or did maybe somebody have a throttle lock installed on it.
I have no idea if it is stock — there have been two previous owners. The grips are definitely after market.

I did take apart the housing, and I think the routing is fine. I also took it for a ride and everything feels fine — it just looks off.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
I have no idea if it is stock — there have been two previous owners. The grips are definitely after market.

I did take apart the housing, and I think the routing is fine. I also took it for a ride and everything feels fine — it just looks off.
Keep watching this thread. A strom owner may check in.

I own a Tenere now and it has been awhile since my strom. It could be a replacement tube to be used with a throttle lock. If it is then it should be fine.

·
Registered
2014 DL650A, 2019 DL650XT
77 Posts
My 2014 650 does not look like this. I think what you see in the gap, the plastic "ridge", is supposed to be covered by the end of the grip, holding the grip in place. If your grips aren't stock then they probably wouldn't be designed to cover the "ridge".

·
Registered
2012 Dl650A
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My 2014 650 does not look like this. I think what you see in the gap, the plastic "ridge", is supposed to be covered by the end of the grip, holding the grip in place. If your grips aren't stock then they probably wouldn't be designed to cover the "ridge".
Thanks, that makes sense! Being new to Stroms, and motorcycles in general has me second guessing everything. Really appreciate the help this community always offers!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just did my grips. The bigger flange is where the stock grips go over. I filed that down for the oxford grips. The smaller flange is there to keep it from touching the ignition. I can snag a picture for you if you need one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts