StromTrooper banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks:

As some of you may know; I had the rather unfortunate circumstance of needing to replace the clutch plates and clutch discs.

I'm understandably a little more paranoid about my clutch now. The clutch lever has the appropriate amount of free play in it (about a half an inch before I feel pressure).

However, I did notice when biking my bike out of a cheapie motel in El Ciudad Mexico, that it was notably easier to move my bike when it was in neutral than when it was in 1st with the clutch lever fully depressed.

It's probably nothing, but I'm kind of paranoid when it comes to my clutch now, so I just want to make sure that this is expected and not an indicator of a mal-adjusted clutch.

Best,
David

PS: Ran into a motorcycle rider here in Durango who offered us a play to stay at his house where we had a great meal. Looking forward to breakfast tomorrow! He's a member of a local motorcycle club called the "Los ángeles negro".

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
It's normal. In neutral, the transmission is free. In gear, the clutch plates have to rotate past each other in an oil bath. Cold oil is especially draggy. When starting the bike with a cold engine, try it with the side stand up and the transmission in first. You'll feel the bike lurch a little as the clutch plates free up from the cold oil "glue".

1 - 2 of 2 Posts