StromTrooper banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying a 2011 DL650A with 17 miles on it. Do I need to worry about it having been drive already?
I can't imagine it being ruined by 17 miles. When I have demoed a bike, I didn't beat on them, but I suppose some people would.

What do you think?

·
Administrator
18,473 Posts
That is a new bike, so what is your question?:confused:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am buying a 2011 DL650A with 17 miles on it. Do I need to worry about it having been drive already?
I can't imagine it being ruined by 17 miles. When I have demoed a bike, I didn't beat on them, but I suppose some people would.

What do you think?
I would ask "What day does the warranty start (and end)?"

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a new bike, so what is your question?:confused:
Okay, I'll play.
The bike has been test ridden. Test rides are not always friendly. In 17 miles worth of test rides, could there be long term effects?
I think my original question is clear, but I hope that helps.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I cant imagine that 17 miles of riding no matter how tough they were would affect the long term health of the bike. I think you are good to go. That being said, I totally understand your point as I want my new bike to be "my" new bike including the first 17 miles. I would keep harping on your salesperson about how you really wanted your new bike to be yours and let them know that anything they could do to sweeten the deal (e.g., service manual, first service free, guarantee the warranty etc.) would help you forget the 17 miles. Believe me they want to get that bike out of their inventory and I am sure they will flex a little.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I cant imagine that 17 miles of riding no matter how tough they were would affect the long term health of the bike. I think you are good to go. That being said, I totally understand your point as I want my new bike to be "my" new bike including the first 17 miles. I would keep harping on your salesperson about how you really wanted your new bike to be yours and let them know that anything they could do to sweeten the deal (e.g., service manual, first service free, guarantee the warranty etc.) would help you forget the 17 miles. Believe me they want to get that bike out of their inventory and I am sure they will flex a little.
Right on - I see what you're saying.
I think I am getting a decent price, but I don't know. I am a few bucks over $7k OTD. I pay the taxes, so they are not included.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Unaware of any long-term damage that could be done within 17 miles that wouldn't be readily apparent. Good luck with your new scoot. :thumbup:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The engine goes through a set workout on a dyno that works it harder at the end of the planned test than a rider will. That's all before it leaves the factory and the odometer is connected. When I got my bike new in 2007 with 0 miles, I just rode it with no special attention. It has 77,000 miles on it now and it's running better than ever. I figure it was finished breaking in at about 50,000 miles when it seemed to really free up.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The engine goes through a set workout on a dyno that works it harder at the end of the planned test than a rider will. That's all before it leaves the factory and the odometer is connected. When I got my bike new in 2007 with 0 miles, I just rode it with no special attention. It has 77,000 miles on it now and it's running better than ever. I figure it was finished breaking in at about 50,000 miles when it seemed to really free up.
Wow, you guys (gals?) sure know how to calm a guy.
I am getting a white one with ABS, which are not that easy to come by these days.
I used to have a DL1000, but sold it to another forum member (I was temporarily unemployed and sold it as a precautionary measure), and am replacing it with this one. ABS, for some reason, became a must for me. That with the better MPG made the DL650 WEE a no brainer. My dl1000 was great.

Tomorrow is the big day. WOO HOO!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Wow, you guys (gals?) sure know how to calm a guy.
I am getting a white one with ABS, which are not that easy to come by these days.
I used to have a DL1000, but sold it to another forum member (I was temporarily unemployed and sold it as a precautionary measure), and am replacing it with this one. ABS, for some reason, became a must for me. That with the better MPG made the DL650 WEE a no brainer. My dl1000 was great.

Tomorrow is the big day. WOO HOO!
Good for you! Don't look back. I really love the look of the white 2011. I agree with the 650 being the obvious choice. I am fortunate enough to have a Harley V-rod as well (an 1130cc motor) and the Wee is so much better on gas and so much more capable all around it is a great choice. Congrats!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Right on - I see what you're saying.
I think I am getting a decent price, but I don't know. I am a few bucks over $7k OTD. I pay the taxes, so they are not included.
I thought OTD price generally includes the sales tax within the price? :confused:

Not that it really matters if you're happy with the total price :beatnik:

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Other good Samaratans have just started your

Motoman Break in

for you

regardless leave the dealer ship with 3 oil filters

Change at 50, 150, 500

your first oil change looks like glitter

·
Registered
759 Posts
Yeah, what Pat said... listen, these bikes get red-lined at the factory within inches of their lives, and than beaten like a red headed step child. Unless there is OBVIOUS visible damage from those 17 miles you are just fine. The bike is considered new still.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Other good Samaratans have just started your

Motoman Break in

for you

regardless leave the dealer ship with 3 oil filters

Change at 50, 150, 500

your first oil change looks like glitter
+1

If anything, you'd probably need to worry in just the opposite direction, imho.

MotoMan says about 85% of rings and valve break-in is going to happen in the first 20 miles. I'd suggest more than likely that people who rode that bike did so very gently, the opposite of what moto-man would do.

Every bike I've test ridden was a pretty gentle ride, remember those tires are squirmy. Have a look at the tires to see any indication of hard riding.

You may be someone who doesn't believe in moto-mans philosophy, given that, I'd say nothing to worry about at all then.

Those white ones are pretty :)

·
Ex- moderator
1,129 Posts
I used to have a friend who purchased a Vincent Black Lightning...he insisted that the dealership not take it out of the crate as he wanted to have that experience, he also wanted to make sure that he was the very first one to ride it. Some folks thought that was a bit excessive..I think that he was dead right..
When I bought my Vstrom I told the dealer that I wanted to be there when they took it out of the crate..

Its your money, you get to spend it any way you want.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I used to have a friend who purchased a Vincent Black Lightning...he insisted that the dealership not take it out of the crate as he wanted to have that experience, he also wanted to make sure that he was the very first one to ride it. Some folks thought that was a bit excessive..I think that he was dead right..
When I bought my Vstrom I told the dealer that I wanted to be there when they took it out of the crate..

Its your money, you get to spend it any way you want.
He thought he married a virgin also I bet :jawdrop:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I thought OTD price generally includes the sales tax within the price? :confused:

Not that it really matters if you're happy with the total price :beatnik:
Yep, I am satisfied. OTD, around here, does not include taxes. Taxes are paid when the vehicle is registered (though you only have so many days).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts