StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2013 DL650. Thinking about the 1000. For those of you who made the change what are your thoughts? Was it worth it? Would you do it over again knowing what you know now?

·
Administrator
17,537 Posts
Why do "you" think you want a change, what are you wanting or looking for? I have owned 2 previous 1000's and now ride a new 650......for me I would likely never go back. Yes I have ridden the Vee2 and it is a fabulous machine, but for how I ride and for what I am wanting, the Wee2 is perfect for me and I find myself lacking nothing or missing nothing.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why do "you" think you want a change, what are you wanting or looking for? I have owned 2 previous 1000's and now ride a new 650......for me I would likely never go back. Yes I have ridden the Vee2 and it is a fabulous machine, but for how I ride and for what I am wanting, the Wee2 is perfect for me and I find myself lacking nothing or missing nothing.

I rode the 1000 at Romney last year. I guess I'm thinking I want the extra power. I am looking for overall opinions aside from just the power.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I've traded in my 2012 DL650 for 2014 DL1000. I'd do it all over again. It was year and a half ago and I still ride it with big smile on my face.
The thing is, why do you ride a motorcycle? If it's for fuel economy and to transport you from A to B only, I wouldn't get a DL1000. But if it's for those things I mentioned and mainly for enjoying the spirit of motorcycle riding and all that comes with it, if you can afford it, don't think twice, go for it first thing tomorrow morning.
On the side note, look for 2016 model.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The more I think about it I will lose money on the 650 if I try to unload it. I have already added a Yoshimura exhaust and factory luggage to the sides. Guess I'll just get a new seat and a top case and stick with it. Besides at 54 my more power days on a bike should be over? My last ride was a modded 2008 Concours 14 which had tons of power.

·
Registered
975 Posts
you've owned the 2013, then, for what, 2.5 yrs? and y'wanna try something different? take the nike approach and "just do it!"

yep, if you can justify it, and afford it...why not? nothing ventured, nothing gained.

in my riding career of 18 yrs and five bikes i've owned one anywhere from 3 yrs to 6 yrs...a couple of times owning 2 bikes concurrently (despite the askance glances from mrs sinsd...........)

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
The same here. Just twice Vee and after that 5xWee. Never looked back. On Glee now, but Vee2 is definitely different story. However I took it for a test ride in Romney 2 years ago. After the ride I was glad to be back on my Wee again. Beside that I can't justify 50% more money for 1000 vs 650 (talking about used market here). More money for bike, more money for gas (premium in addition), more money for insurance. No thanks. I'm just fine with Glee. Never fully used potential of 650 even, why should I go for 1000...?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you've owned the 2013, then, for what, 2.5 yrs? and y'wanna try something different? take the nike approach and "just do it!"

yep, if you can justify it, and afford it...why not? nothing ventured, nothing gained.

in my riding career of 18 yrs and five bikes i've owned one anywhere from 3 yrs to 6 yrs...a couple of times owning 2 bikes concurrently (despite the askance glances from mrs sinsd...........)

I'd be hard pressed to list all of the bikes I've owned. I'm really trying to crush the urge but it has always gotten the better of me. I'm weak!

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
If you are in an area that you can ride year round, this might not apply; but every year about this time I get the urge to buy...... something.... something different....

It can be a pretty strong itch sometimes...

One year it was so bad I went out and bought a sailboat. Which I never used and sold about a year later.

I think the reason is PMS, 'Parked Motorcycle' Syndrome". If you have the itch to change, I suggest you wait until you've gone on a good ride or two and then decide. Until then.......breath in, breath out, breath in.... :grin2:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you are in an area that you can ride year round, this might not apply; but every year about this time I get the urge to buy...... something.... something different....

It can be a pretty strong itch sometimes...

One year it was so bad I went out and bought a sailboat. Which I never used and sold about a year later.

I think the reason is PMS, 'Parked Motorcycle' Syndrome". If you have the itch to change, I suggest you wait until you've gone on a good ride or two and then decide. Until then.......breath in, breath out, breath in.... :grin2:

I think you're on to something!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I see where you live. I'm jealous. I lived there for four years while in the Navy. I miss the rides to Palomar on the weekends. You're lucky! Enjoy the beautiful SOCAL riding!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I went from Kaw EX500, to Concours 1000, then 2012 DL650. And then bought an FJR1300 to keep the Strom company! :D But now I'm back to just the Wee-Strom, and very happy with it. This might open up a can of worms, but why be incremental? If I were going to go back to Liter+ class, I'd be thinking more along Super Tenere lines- and some of these can be had now at discount prices as well.

:flaming_devil:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went from Kaw EX500, to Concours 1000, then 2012 DL650. And then bought an FJR1300 to keep the Strom company! :D But now I'm back to just the Wee-Strom, and very happy with it. This might open up a can of worms, but why be incremental? If I were going to go back to Liter+ class, I'd be thinking more along Super Tenere lines- and some of these can be had now at discount prices as well.

:flaming_devil:
The bike I miss the most is my ZRX1200R. I had a green 2001 and then later a silver 2004 that was jetted and full exhaust. Oh the memories.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I agree. It might be one for the medical books, just like SAD (seasonal affected disorder). Just came back from the Moncton Motorcycle show and I'm going to the Montreal motorcycle show in 2 weeks. I sat on the new Africa twin..... bad move on my part. My a** said thank you very much. However I never buy new 1st editions. I will keep my Vee for another couple of years and see what happens.

Brian

·
Registered
975 Posts
omg, MAD and SAD. no one ever brought these up on other forums (fora?). i suffer a touch of each now and then.

SS, i've been in san diego since 1963, save military service and grad school. mrs sinsd and i plan to die in this house...LOL.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
omg, MAD and SAD. no one ever brought these up on other forums (fora?). i suffer a touch of each now and then.

SS, i've been in san diego since 1963, save military service and grad school. mrs sinsd and i plan to die in this house...LOL.

When I was there 1998-2002 I bought a house in Chula Vista at Rolling Hills ranch. Super nice neighborhood and house. Made a killing when I sold it. Wish I still had it now!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I did just that, got the 1000 primarily for more power. It also has better and more adjustable suspension, better brakes and the cockpit feels a little more roomy without extra weight. The engine on the 650 is smoother, but the 1000 is less "buzzy" and more relaxed at highway speeds. (650 has a few rpm ranges where there is some vibration in the bike and handlebars, lots of posts about this.) I would say handling is comparable, especially after stiffer fork springs in the 650. 1000 seems to get blown around less on the freeway. I was able to get the liter bike because I such an incredible deal on it. It's really going to pain me to sell the 650 this spring. Would love to keep it, but haven't figured out a good excuse to have two such similar bikes.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've never owned a wee but I rented one in the Alps for a couple weeks last year. I have a V2 and my last bike was an 08 Vee. The wee seemed competent but a bit boring compared to the liter bikes. Much more fun on the 1000s. At 61 I love the horsepower as much as I ever have.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think you are bugging out cause you have not ridden in awhile? When i got my wee i had a chance to get the 1000 but i wanted to try some off road type stuff and figured i did not need the extra weight. if i was going to be on road i would have bought it. i think about getting another bike (keeping wee) and saw a few that caught my eye 1. Yamaha xsr900 same motor thats in the fz-09 fantastic piece could easily put on some mitas-07 tires and go. 2.Ducati scrambler.The best motorcycle now is the one you already have add farkles to it that should calm you down till you can ride.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts