StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm just about to crack 30,000 miles on the 530 chain and sprockets combo deal from Blair at SVracingParts.com .

The rear sprocket is completely hashed, the front sprocket looks pretty good, and the chain itself is in fantastic shape -- it measures just 0.5% elongation. :thumbup: I've always used the Dupont "Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant" spray -- the stuff in the blue can you can get at Lowes for $5.

I can't say I'm impressed with way the rear sprocket crapped out long before the other components :thumbdown: , but I'm pretty happy with the life and value of the setup overall. You absolutely cannot beat the deal you get -- most places charge around $200 - $220 for the chain alone, and SVracing charges $220 for the set in 530 chain, $180 for 525 chain.

Now, on to my actual question: I'm thinking about ordering up a 525 set this time around, mostly out of pure curiosity -- perhaps with such a direct comparison (same bike and rider, same brand chain) we'll get a good sense of just how much longer the 530 chain lasts. The price difference is $40, not that big a factor in my opinion.

Or has this already been established? Should I just get another 530 setup, since it's proven itself so well?

Or should I get a 525 chain this time around, for the cause of science?

·
Registered
281 Posts
They say, "Variety's the spice of life". As a fair comparison of durability, I hope you can pretty accurately duplicate treatment of your second chain. And that Blairs' components if today are the same quality level as the last set-up.

Dave

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Have you tried the 2mm sprocket offset and replacing or shimming the sprocket carrier cush rubbers? Rick's DL1000 Rear Wheel Spacer Exchange Program
Feedback indicates the value varies for each individual bike. The rear sprocket is normally the least worn of all three components. I wouldn't be surprised if yours was among the a member of the rear sprocket wobbler set. A 525 chain isn't going to improve the wear characteristics. At least check to see if the rear sprocket carrier falls off the wheel of its own accord. It should be a friction fit.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Change your cush hub bearing and shim your rubbers

525 is less mass less mass is good

The quality strength of the chain is important so see if you can get similar tensile strength numbers

Usually some will publish the strength numbers of the various chains

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Is the Vee problem that the rear hub design is marginally inadequate for the power? Does the chain pull the sprocket in the cushion rubbers out of alignment with the rear wheel when load is applies? Some have gone to the big job of machining an additional bearing housing to hold the sprocket in alignment. Is Rick's spacer program a way to initially misalign the sprocket so it comes into alignment under load?

Aren't all good quality 500-series chains about the same tensile strength? After an initial break in, chains don't stretch, they wear, and the wear gives the additional length.

BW, at this point, why not just buy a new rear sprocket plus Rick's spacers?

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
1) The spacer mod was already done on my Vee when I got it. (BTW, that spacer was a giant pain in my ass until I epoxied it to the larger spacer.)

2) The cush drive rubbers are nice and tight -- I check them whenever the rear wheel is off. I replaced them last year, and I've needed to shim them with pieces of old inner tubes once since then. The bearing is in excellent shape and was replaced not long ago (the old bearing was fine -- just preventative maintenance).

3) Basically, there's no other problem and everything is in perfect alignment. There is no side wear on the sprocket. The chain runs in the middle of the sprocket.

In other words, the wear on the rear sprocket is perfectly normal wear -- it just happened to be the first component to wear out, probably because it's not hardened to the degree the front sprocket is.

As to the chain, the 525 chain sold by SVracingsparts.com is a very high-quality EK X-ring chain, as is the 530 chain. Vees come with 525 chains from the factory, and any quality 525 chain is plenty strong.

The idea behind the 530 conversion is simply that it should last longer than a 525 chain, since the parts are 1/8" wider. What I'm curious about is how much longer it might last. So I'm thinking maybe there's one way to find out for myself... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Is the Vee problem that the rear hub design is marginally inadequate for the power? Does the chain pull the sprocket in the cushion rubbers out of alignment with the rear wheel when load is applies? Some have gone to the big job of machining an additional bearing housing to hold the sprocket in alignment. Is Rick's spacer program a way to initially misalign the sprocket so it comes into alignment under load?
The cush rubbers, AFAIK, have absolutely no role in physically locating the rear sprocket - that's all taken care of by the axle, bearings, and spacers. The rubbers just transmit the torque from the sprocket to the hub. If the rear sprocket is out of line with the chain, that indicates the spacers are out of whack. If the sprocket wobbles as turning, that would indicate the the sprocket mounting surface on the hub (or the sprocket itself) has some lateral run-out. I can't see how a spacer would fix that.

To the OP: strange that the rear sprocket would wear out before the front. Was it a steel or alloy rear sprocket?

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BW, at this point, why not just buy a new rear sprocket plus Rick's spacers?
Already got the spacer thing.

And actually, I already bought an El Cheapo (Parts Unlimited) rear sprocket last week and installed it. Seems to run nice and smooth and quiet, and the chain wear is minimal, so I'm going to run it that way for a while and see what happens.

Common lore is that I will surely die horribly, but with so little measured chain wear, I suspect it'll be just fine for quite a while.

I am going to buy a new chain/sprocket set just to be ready, but who knows... I may not need it for a while.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Epoxied the Spacer? You my friend are a genius.

Les

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Already got the spacer thing.

And actually, I already bought an El Cheapo (Parts Unlimited) rear sprocket last week and installed it. Seems to run nice and smooth and quiet, and the chain wear is minimal, so I'm going to run it that way for a while and see what happens.

Common lore is that I will surely die horribly, but with so little measured chain wear, I suspect it'll be just fine for quite a while.

I am going to buy a new chain/sprocket set just to be ready, but who knows... I may not need it for a while.
You did what I would have. If the chain is still good? It's still good.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
To the OP: strange that the rear sprocket would wear out before the front. Was it a steel or alloy rear sprocket?
It's a steel sprocket. The brand is "Driven". They make a lot of aluminum sprockets, but this one is definitely steel.

From what I can tell (or at least based on what I got) the SVracingparts.com sets are sold with Pit Bull front sprockets, EK chains, and Driven rear sprockets.

FWIW, I went with stock gearing (17/41), but I have a SpeedoDRD on the way and will probably go to 17/43 on the next set.

The replacement sprocket I installed last week was 42 teeth, and the difference was noticeable -- I think 43 will be about right for my tastes.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I don't see the advantage of 530 with my experience. I think that if any chain is taken care of, it will last as long as you got out of your 530. Bigger parts = stronger and therefore last longer can only happen with good chain maintenance.

FYI, not that I ever want to discourage folks from supporting SVracing parts, but if you are poor like me, there are MUCH better deals to be had out there. I did an EK 525 X-ring chain, screw type link, and JT sprockets front and rear for about $160.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'd have to question the quality of the Driven rear sprocket. I plan to stick to JT sprockets myself, they have proven to be high quality and durable on my other bikes. PBI makes some pretty good sprockets also.

I'm a bit partial to DID chains myself but I think DID and EK are very similar.

I am wondering much the same thing about 525 vs 530. I was considering going to a 530 chain myself thinking that the wider bearing surfaces of the sprockets would make them last longer. Also, I wondered if the heavier chain ran smoother. I do understand the negatives of more moving mass in the driveline, not good.

I'm tempted to machine the rear sprocket hub for a 2nd bearing. I plan to take a look at it the next time I've got it off.

I've looked at how my chain rides on the rear sprocket and if anything the sprocket needs to be moved away from the wheel to get the chain to run smack in the middle. The spacer mod would only make things worse on my bike.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
It's a steel sprocket. The brand is "Driven". They make a lot of aluminum sprockets, but this one is definitely steel.
There goes my guess. Blair was selling a lot of aluminum sprockets a couple of years ago. He told me the business when through a swing. For a while people wanted light weight (I'm guessing that was more demand from his sport bike customers), then the attitude shifted and only steel was acceptable. I had forgotten about it and was somewhat surprised when I took off my last rear sprocket from him and it was so light.

·
Registered
281 Posts
A chain lubed to assure all rollers are spinning freely on their inner bushings is an aluminum sprockets best freind.
dave

·
Registered
30 Posts
The Difference

I work the parts counter at a shop. The difference between a 530 and a 525 chain is the distance between the pins, the side plates, rollers, etc are the same. Either one should last as long as the other.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
I work the parts counter at a shop. The difference between a 530 and a 525 chain is the distance between the pins, the side plates, rollers, etc are the same. Either one should last as long as the other.
Bzzt! Wrong. Thank you for playing. I would have been a lot kinder except for the "I work at the parts counter" line. EK Motorcycle & ATV Chain is accurate.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Isn't a 525 chain stock on the strom (both 650 and 1k)?

You trashed a rear sprocket before the front? I'd say if was a cheap alloy and built for novelty purposes only.

I think what metters to chain strength is the quality of the pins; 525 or 530 is irrelevant.

I say go for whatever came stock with thte bike; it's been my experience that Suzuki engineers know their stuff.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Chain Gang

The 525 chain can be harder to find on the road than the 530. And I say that as someone who waited at a number of parts counter before my riding buddy found one for his wee. The guys at Recycle in the Edmonton area were great, even loaned us tools.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts