StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a new Wee in April, with the intent to compliment my Vulcan 1600 cruiser. I originally wanted the Wee to be my daily commuter, some off-road riding, etc. Well, since buying the Wee I have only ridden my cruiser once. I don't even think about taking the big cruiser for a ride anymore since I love the Wee.

Well, I am planning out my big summer ride. It will end up being about 3,000 miles, some highway and a lot of back paved roads. There will be no off-road riding since my fellow riders are all on cruisers.

So I am really torn. My instincts tell me that the cruiser is perfect for this type of long trip on the slab although I know the Wee will handle it with no issues.

I would like to hear from those who have had experience in going from a large cruiser to the Wee? I don't want to regret selling the cruiser, but I do have a lot of fun on the Wee.

About me: I am 6'6" about 250lbs. For the Wee I have put on Richland Ricks lowering kit, raised the seat, sw-motech engine guards, givi luggage and a madstad bracket. In my garage to install I have a skid plate with highway pegs, Rox 2" risers, fork brack and mirror extenders.

What to do.....what to do?

· Living the Stereotype
11,551 Posts

· Premium Member
3,322 Posts
I too thought I'll keep my old bike around, just to have. Same story - the old bike just sat there, becoming a home for wayward spiders and mice. I'd had the old bike for over 20 years and had become quite attached to it, but once I got the Wee, I had absolutely no interest in riding it [especially after riding the old one after having the Wee for a couple months!].

I sold it to a guy who really likes old bikes [went to a good home], felt a twang of guilt/remorse for a day or so, and haven't ever felt like I wished I had my old bike.

You must be thinking the same thing, so pull the ol' girl out of the garage, and give er a good afternoon's ride to see if the magic is still there, or it's just a melancholy illusion.....

· Registered
189 Posts
Sometimes I miss my Shadow. It would eat any number of miles I'd throw at it and be hungry for more.

But then, sometimes I forget about that unsettling feeling while I was scraping floorboards in the bends or about passing some roads because I didn't want to ride it on dirt or gravel.

I definitely liked the Aero more for the long haul but the Wee has more versatility over all.

· Registered
279 Posts
I bought my Valkyrie new in '98. After 10 yrs. I got the itch for something different and bought an '08 Wee. My thought process was "if I liked the Strom well enough, I would sell the Valkyrie". After 3 1/2 yrs of ownership of the Wee, I still have the Valk and am glad that I kept it. They are totally different bikes that serve me well for whatever mood I'm in on a given day. My advice is, if you don't have to sell the cruiser for financial reasons, hang on to it. Put it into storage PROPERLY and some day you'll enjoy taking it out for a Sunday ride. :thumbup:

· Registered
1,872 Posts
I would not sell it if its paid for, each bike has a personality, and its nice to change up from time to time...

· Registered
27 Posts
I have a Goldwing 1800 and the Wee. The GL is the family bike and tours great with all the luggage space and handles well. My wife loves riding on it and would never get on the Wee. The Wee is fun for me solo to go on and light off road, explore a little, ride the twisties and so forth. I have came to the conclusion that two bikes are a must for the total satisfaction of motorcycling. Many people spend on one bike what you have tied up in both and it's not costing you anything but insurance to leave it in the garage and it's there when you want it.

· Registered
93 Posts
I have a Goldwing 1800 and the Wee. The GL is the family bike and tours great with all the luggage space and handles well. My wife loves riding on it and would never get on the Wee. The Wee is fun for me solo to go on and light off road, explore a little, ride the twisties and so forth. I have came to the conclusion that two bikes are a must for the total satisfaction of motorcycling. Many people spend on one bike what you have tied up in both and it's not costing you anything but insurance to leave it in the garage and it's there when you want it.
I also have a wing and a wee (and a VFR). I ride them all depending on the mood. A few weekends ago, I took a quick 350 mile ride on the Wee, while the Wing did a 60 mile jaunt last weekend. I'd be hard pressed to sell any of my bikes -- their personalities are just too different, and I like them all.

· Registered
61 Posts
If I were you I'd take the cruiser, even though at this point you might consider it the "lesser" bike. It's been my experience that it's easier to do group rides and long trips when everyone is on similar bikes. Similar power, similar gas tanks, similar sore spots, etc. Just my .02 And by all means, find some DS friends for the next ride!

· Premium Member
390 Posts
a friend

A friend of mine HAD a '97 HD Springer, a 1800 Goldwing and a Vee. The Springer was the first to go, then the GW. Now he just rides the Vee.
I too have a cruiser, she's a '05 1700 Road Star, with just the right amout of "bling", a great looking bike, black cherry, chrome, special made mods, she turns lots of heads, pipes are just loud enough for a cruiser BUT she sets in the shed alot since I got my vee. Selling her has crossed my mind from time to time, I could never get out of her what I've spent and I've got too much TLC to let her go. But if someone handed me enough $$$$, I'd let her go, well maybe.

· Registered
110 Posts
RIDE THE WEE!!! When you get to the real back roads, LEAD the way. Folks will think you are a great rider. Just wait for them at the turns, out of respect. Soon they will want one too. They will soon recognize you gas up once to their second fill up. Have Fun!

· Administrator
15,282 Posts
I spent four days (July 1st through July 4rth) riding about 1,600 miles rough the mountains in Alberta and BC (mainly in BC). it was a wonderful bike and hard to say anything negative about it. Fast, confortable, handled well, smooth, quiet. Lots of good qualities. I liked it and completely understand the apeal of them. But given a choice would much rather have ridden my DL650. It just much more versatile and more fun to ride. I might think differently if I had to have a passenger on a long ride, but for solo rides I'd rather ride my Strom.

..Tom

· Premium Member
4,195 Posts
I bought a Harley Roadster in April. Sold it today. And that's the rider's model of Sportster.

I want to ride, not enter parades.

· Registered
984 Posts
I bought a Harley Roadster in April. Sold it today. And that's the rider's model of Sportster.

I want to ride, not enter parades.
Same boat. Picked up a 2000 Softail about a month ago, intending to sell the Vee (guess I didn't remember the marriage vows having something about not owning 2 bikes). Thinking I'll resell the HD. And I agree about riding in parades. The glory of the Chromemeister is in its presence: chrome on black and the attendant noise. But sometimes I feel like a circus parade coming thru town: Grand and awe-inspiring with no real purpose whatsoever.

· Evolving Curmudgeon
1,122 Posts
I had owned my Valk for 12 years when I bought my Wee. It was my pride and joy. But it just sat there, un-ridden, in the corner. When I did ride it, it seemed so ponderous and heavy which was odd because in the pre-wee years it was amazing. Because I have too many toys to maintain I sold it to my son-in-law to keep it in the family. Also, I was really tired of polishing chrome. Sometimes I do miss the valks personality though.

· Living the Stereotype
11,551 Posts
If I were you I'd take the cruiser, even though at this point you might consider it the "lesser" bike. It's been my experience that it's easier to do group rides and long trips when everyone is on similar bikes. Similar power, similar gas tanks, similar sore spots, etc. Just my .02 And by all means, find some DS friends for the next ride!
What he means is you'll be less frustrated by the languid pace and frequent gas and ass stops if you take the cruiser.

· Registered
689 Posts
If I had the space to store them and did not need the money at the time, I would never have sold any of my previous mototcycles or for that matter cars. Of course that is easy to say now that I am gainfully unemployed and have many hours of leisure time and a few coins jinggling in my pocket.

· Premium Member
442 Posts
For the trip I'd ride the bike I wanted to ride. I've ridden with fast groups, slow groups, even a little with poser groups...the Wee works well (and is a lot of fun) in all situations.

As far as selling ... you'll know if and when that time comes.

ps
I'd suggest a fork brace for the Wee.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.