StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got my Givi engine guards in the mail on Friday, spent the better part of the afternoon putting them on, and found this.

The right side bar is approx. 1/2" further away from the fairing than the left and at a different angle.:???: Yes I installed them correctly.. There really aren't that many ways to install them.:p They either go on or they don't.
The guard on the left angles towards the fairing as it sticks forward while the right side stays either straight or leans slightly away.

What do you think? Should I go through the hassle of taking them back off, shipping them all the way across the USA to TT and waiting for another pair to arrive, or live with it and figure you can only see one side at a time anyway.:mrgreen:

-T

·
Registered
292 Posts
Tough call. Assuming that is not the way the Givi's are normally I'd probably send them back just because it would always bug me. If others told me it's the same way with thiers I'd probably live with it. Although I can't imagine why they would design more clearance on one side than the other.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
I'd be worried about the steel quality. Not sure why they would end up like that, and maybe something else is funky. I'd ship em back. I'd be ticked if I "tested" them and found out something else was wrong after the fact.

Eric

ps: I have motech's so take my word for a grain of salt :-d

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'd leave them be. You cant see both sides of the bike at the same time, and if you drop it they will still do thier job. If you return them for another pair, chances are they will be the same.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too.

-T
Besides, I'm sure you've grown accustomed to having one testicle considerably smaller than the other so you'll adjust to this with no problem. With a little luck the small teste is on the same side as the lesser clearance Givi and in the event of a crash it won't get wedged between the tank and the crash bar. Don't laugh, stranger things have happened. :)

There is a 50/50 chance of a safety bonus here. Always look on the bright side.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the SW Motech bars on my Vstrom. They are symmetrical. When I remove my front fairings, it is difficult to remove the right one with the crash bars installed (the left side comes off easily). Maybe Givi is aware of this and left an extra 1/2" on the right to make it easier to remove the fairing? I guess someone else needs to measure theirs to see if the spacing is consistent with different sets of crash bars.

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
If the misalignment was the result of dropping the bike I would be able to live with it but when it's new out of the box I couldn't accept that. The only bars I've seen up close are the SW Motechs and they were perfectly aligned. I would expect the the good folks at GIVI would want their bars on your bike to represent their company well. It boils down to good marketing. Crooked bars on bikes that potential customers will see will only make the descision to by HB or SW motech that much easier. It these bars were clearance priced or blemished you would expect this but you payed full price. A 1/8" difference would be nearly invisable but when it is an obvious difference like yours it demonstrates poor quality control. Send them back

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's another angle

The bars are turned a bit, but the shot is from straight on.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,039 Posts
E-mail them with pics, they are really good about getting back to you. If you include your phone # they will probably call you.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I checked my Givi bars, they are pretty close to symetrical. At the very least no noticeable difference between the sides. Maybe I'm the one with the defective bars? :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Defective or..?

Big T,

What did you do? Did you contact the merchant or manufacturer?

Thanks,

Brad

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Big T,

What did you do? Did you contact the merchant or manufacturer?

Thanks,

Brad
Interested in this too since I was planning on getting some from TT. Although I must say that the shot from the front doesn't look bad, and if you hadn't said they were off, I would probably not have noticed. But if you aren't happy with it I would definetly get them replaced.

Have you had a chance to ride the bike with these yet? If so, any buzzing issues?

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Big T. Just looked at the picture again and put a piece of paper up to the screen to look at symetry. It could be the picture, but it almost looks like to me, that the mid fairing is off center with the windshield part, and may be slightly off center from the triple trees. Have you measured the distance from the center of the bike to the edge of the guards? The guards may be fine, but the fairing you are measuring off from could be off a little (not symetrical with the center of the bike). Again only so much I can tell with a picture and piece of paper on the net, but you may want to check this just to be sure.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
The bars on my Wee are symetrical, but the one thing I've noticed about Givi, after installing the crashbars, sidecase racks, and topcase rack, is that the manufacturing tolerances seem the suck. It could be the way they are shipped also. Both the bars and the sideracks I had to twist/bend/pull into position. The actual quality of the products themselves seem ok.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No buzzing, at least not the kind you can hear. If I reach down while riding and grab them I can definately feel them vibrating/buzzing, but no noise that I can tell.

As for the fairing looking off center, the steering isn't straight in that photo, the bars are turned a bit to the right.
I'll take some measurements today and let you know what I find.

I contacted TT and sent them some photos of the bars and the bike, and they said they'd forward the pictures to Givi. Whatever that's worth.:???:

-T

1 - 19 of 19 Posts