StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just brought my bike in for inspection, and asked the dealer to replace the battery. It was removed from the bike and load tested. The dealer said the battery was still good. I told them that if the battery dies in Ontario this summer at NEVA 18, I will make them come and get me. The bike is a '14 1000, so the battery is in its' 5th year of service. Always on a battery tender over the winter. I am wondering if I should replace the battery regardless. What say you? :confused:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Id keep it, have you had any problems with weak starts or voltage issues while riding? Worst case, we do sell batteries in Canada hey!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Reactions: snorkie and Brockie

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,422 Posts
It has certainly done its job. While I have had batteries last longer, I have had many that did not! If I were going to keep the bike, and had some spare change to buy the battery, it will give some peace of mind.

That said, I have had brand new batteries that failed within one year. Dead when trying to start after work, started just fine that morning. Internal failure of some sort.

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Imagine how hard you would kick yourself if the battery faltered on your road trip.
A new battery is generally good for everything. Including peace of mind.

·
Registered
15,501 Posts
Yah, the hundred bucks for a new battery isn't a killer. Besides, it the new battery dies, you'll get another new one for your bother!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Maybe check in advance with some local shops along your planned route to see if they stock the battery you might need. AGM batteries like the ETX12 are filled, fully sealed, and ready for installation with no charging required, making it an easy swap on the road.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Replace it while you are in the US, you will pay more in Canada even with the favorable exchange rate.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
January '17 I bought my leftover '14 Vstrom1000. 1st thing I told them was I wont even consider buying the bike unless they replace the battery with a new oem replacement. If Inhad bought the bike new in '14 it would naturally have a new battery. I told them I expected no less. They agreed, and warrantied a new battery.

My 3 bikes are always on a Battery Tender Plus. I got 8 years on my ZRX battery the 1st time, 7 and a half the 2nd time. And even then, they had just started cranking slower than what I was used to. But a hunderd miles away from home out in the country twisties, a dead battery would not leave me amused.

These days, I keep a mini-jump box, about the size of an eyeglasses case, in the bike. $45-75, I have 2 of them and it has gotten other riders out of a jam.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Maybe check in advance with some local shops along your planned route to see if they stock the battery you might need. AGM batteries like the ETX12 are filled, fully sealed, and ready for installation with no charging required, making it an easy swap on the road.
They should not be prefilled when delivered to the dealer. They do need to sit for a little while after filling and then need a partial charge.

Ive never heard of anyone checking for spare parts along their route (maybe if you drive a Ural?) other than pre ordering tires. Would you check ahead for throttle cables, sprockets, or clutch levers? FedEx will overnight almost anything to most places in NA.

If it starts fine and does not feel slow to turn over and its been tested good, then just ride. Sometimes things break down on the road and we just deal with it. If you need to plan for every failure then maybe it's just safer to stay home. I've had batteries last 2 years, others 10.

You're much more likely to discharge the battery accidentally or have a flat than have a battery fail.

Reactions: Willie

·
Registered
98 Posts
They should not be prefilled when delivered to the dealer. They do need to sit for a little while after filling and then need a partial charge.

Ive never heard of anyone checking for spare parts along their route (maybe if you drive a Ural?) other than pre ordering tires. Would you check ahead for throttle cables, sprockets, or clutch levers? FedEx will overnight almost anything to most places in NA.

If it starts fine and does not feel slow to turn over and its been tested good, then just ride. Sometimes things break down on the road and we just deal with it. If you need to plan for every failure then maybe it's just safer to stay home. I've had batteries last 2 years, others 10.

You're much more likely to discharge the battery accidentally or have a flat than have a battery fail.

Like he said!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just picked up a Yuasa here (just north of Toronto) for $ 135 including all taxes. Maybe not the best price but I usually don't drive around very far to save a couple dollars and like to support a local shop. That would be $108 USD. Probably not many bargains in Canada for bike stuff. Where you are coming for NEVA is well serviced. Although it is a long weekend, everything retail remains open.
My battery was five years old and fine but I am heading down to Romney in May and other trips later. I figure it is one thing I don't have to think about and just enjoy the ride.
Hope you have great ride coming to NEVA. I would look for ways to avoid Toronto once you get past Hamilton. It will be gridlock. There are some other routes that will take a little longer but would be preferable.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts

This is true of most, but not all powersports batteries. The AGM batteries are completely sealed. Repeat, completely. They are filled at the factory and there is not even a way to open them, short of destroying it. They are "plug and play", no initial charge required. They are a bit heavier, which is probably not a concern for strommers, and the posts are serious heavy duty. The part number for the 650 is ETX12, not sure if the 1000 takes the same. (That's at O'Reilly auto parts, other stores probably use different part #s.)

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I had the OEM Yuasa in my 2007 DL die at 5 years no warning.

I had the exact same battery make it 13 years in an ATV, which sits more and takes less to start it. My ATV battery gave me a warning.

That said, at 5 years I replace them in bikes, since I go far from home on them. The ATV stays closer to home (and I do not love it as much)

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks for everyone's input. I am not a worrier, just wasn't sure of the accuracy of a battery load test. No issues with battery at this time. I also felt for $100 why not be safe and not sorry. I will most likely make a last minute decision in the next few weeks. Hey, it's cheaper than buying a new bike!

·
Registered
686 Posts
This is true of most, but not all powersports batteries. The AGM batteries are completely sealed. Repeat, completely. They are filled at the factory and there is not even a way to open them, short of destroying it. They are "plug and play", no initial charge required. They are a bit heavier, which is probably not a concern for strommers, and the posts are serious heavy duty. The part number for the 650 is ETX12, not sure if the 1000 takes the same. (That's at O'Reilly auto parts, other stores probably use different part #s.)
I don't want to start a pissing match but most replacement agm batteries are shipped dry from the factory. Both factory activated and bottle supplied are available. Usually factory activated goes to manufacturers to use in an assembly line and bottle supplied goes to parts dealers because they have a long shelf life.

Here is a video showing how to fill em. Once they get filled and charged , they get permanently sealed.

https://youtu.be/Xpg10yp4duo

I would never buy one prefilled ready to sell because

A) you don't know how long it's been sitting there
B) some dealers will fill em and don't wait for the gasing to stop before capping them

I fill my own and charge them as per the manual. They last longer this way.

A dealer that has them sitting ready to go probably didn't take the time to fill em slowly and charge them caps off the first time, this leads to the agm battery only lasting 1-3years.

Also, unless the vehicle will be unused for 3 months or more, there's no reason to leave em on a trickle charger, it just risks them boiling and venting. Agm have a relatively low self discharge.

I've seen a lot more batteries (car, boat, power sports, radio control toys) fail due to abuse and improper maintenance than from natural failure.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Willie

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, didn't realize there was so much to batteries. My dealer did say they use Interstate batteries to replace O.E.M., and that Interstate's specs were better with a better warranty. I will be happy to get the same 4+ years out of any battery that replacing the original.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
My 09 wee is still on the original battery.

I'm not sure about the rest of the world (in the cold) but down here in OZ I expect to get about 8 or more years from the original batteries in both cars and bikes whereas I would be lucky to get 3 years from a replacement battery, vehicle builders turn over batteries at a great rate whereas replacements sit around waiting to be purchased.

Have that same shop load test a aftermarket battery and you maybe surprised to find your OME battery will perform as well as the replacement.

You could by a LI replacement battery as a back up, they are very light and small to carry, if your OME battery fails replace it with the LI.

With my Wee I was able to fit the replacement LI battery under the seat ready to swap it out if required but the V2 does not have the room under the seat.

Reactions: marcham

·
Registered
686 Posts
Wow, didn't realize there was so much to batteries. My dealer did say they use Interstate batteries to replace O.E.M., and that Interstate's specs were better with a better warranty. I will be happy to get the same 4+ years out of any battery that replacing the original.
They most likely have a higher profit margin on the Interstate... Or have a distributor that will visit weekly and deliver pre filled batteries (saves them time and money).

// Edit: apologies for the thread hijack... Back to the original programming! //

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Imagine how hard you would kick yourself if the battery faltered on your road trip.
A new battery is generally good for everything. Including peace of mind.
+ 1 :smile2:

·
Premium Member
4,547 Posts
My original battery lasted about 7 years. Stilled worked fine but I was leaving on a 3500+ mile trip and got nervous, so I replaced it. Never had a battery last that long before - car, truck, or motorcycle. Current battery is starting year 6.

YMMV

1 - 20 of 24 Posts