StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been craving for a V strom for a while and missed couple of them just because I couldn't pull the trigger on time. I've just found one at a local dealer. It is 2006 V strom (no abs) with 21K miles on it. It has new inspection and tires. I have negotiated the price down from $4000 to $3600. Should I pull the trigger?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Tell them you will take it. Then try to get the maintenance history on it, & maybe a short warranty period and jump on it now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Depends on the type of riding it was put through. 21,00 street miles are just a start but 21,000 dirt miles could use up a bike real fast. Carl

·
Registered
555 Posts
Doesn't sound bad depending on the availability in your area and how it looks. And assuming it is the red one. Is it the 1000 or the 650?

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Does it look clean and well-maintained? My light blue '06 has 40k miles on it, and I would be :furious: if I had to sell it for the amount you are talking. Honestly, with my upgrades, I wouldn't trade for a brand new one. If I needed a ride, I wouldn't flinch at paying $3k for any bike I might be interested in a condition I could accept. Of course, you will have to put more into it - new tires, brakes, upgrades, ... something will definitely cost additional money.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Well, what does it whisper in your ear when you sit on it?

"Lets go, big Daddy"

or

"I don' theeenk sooo..."

?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've only seen the picture so far. I talked to the dealer on the phone today and he told me that they changed the tires, serviced it and got it inspected. It is in excellent condition according to him. The dealer is located about 2.5 hours away from my home. I am planning to go and see it with one of my buddies.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Your not gettin any younger. Gonna let another one slip away? :mrgreen:
This time a million. Doo eeit! Ridin' time's a'wastin'.

I over shot my budget for mine by a hefty amount. Almost started a fight with the missus over it. But in the end the bike was what I wanted and I was tired of just missing used ones or showing up and finding the seller had miss represented "some scratches, normal wear and tear".

Life's short man. Get on with it.
Well, what does it whisper in your ear when you sit on it?
Mine said: Doode, close enough. Pull the damned trigger now and you'll be riding by the weekend.

Edit: I hadn't realized you have not seen it yet. Bikes are easy to miss-represent on the interwebz. You definitely need to check it out before doing anything else.

Hope it works out for ya.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I'd hold out and pay more for an ABS strom (and I just did). Otherwise, if that one actually is as good as you're led to believe, grab it. Ride. Enjoy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The major "problem" is that I have enough money saved up for a brand new one with ABS. It is a problem because of two reasons:
1) The missus is constantly reminding me about the limit we could spend on a bike (about $4000).
2) I am a first-time rider, completed the MSF two days ago.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
The major "problem" is that I have enough money saved up for a brand new one with ABS. It is a problem because of two reasons:
1) The missus is constantly reminding me about the limit we could spend on a bike (about $4000).
Not trying to tell you how to spend your money but a Strom is much less likely to have been abused than say a used crotch-rocket. Keep your eyes open and you should be able to find decent ride within your budget. Nice to come up with a plan that works for everyone, including the Mrs. :mrgreen:

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
A couple things to consider on an '06:

Pro's:
1)You can do TBS's(Throttle body Sync's) and idle adjustments yourself, which will need to be done after a valve adjustment, provided you're a do-it-your-selfer. The Suzuki dealership is way overpriced in the town in which I live, so this is important to me.
2)The '06's are a bit faster than the '07's and newer.
3)The '06's are pretty well de-bugged. Not to say '07's + are not, but when new changes are introduced into a model, sometimes new problems can be introduced. My '06 has ran virtually flawless.

Con's
1)The '06's do not have ABS(as you know). Although I think ABS is a great feature, I would not trade my '06 for it, because of the aforementioned mechanical reasons, & because I would probably have to add some cash to the deal.
2)The gas mileage is not quite as good as on '07's and newer, but not by a lot.

I'm not sure what the blue book price is on an '06, but at $3600 & 21k miles, if it hs been well-maintained, I'd say it was a steal, unless you think it's likely that another one will come along in a suitable length of time. At 21k miles, it may be nearing time for a valve adjustment at about 26k mi, if one has not been done already, but this can vary.

Good luck.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Oh, in that case, skip it. Go get a 250-500cc something-or-other(*), really ride it (not just own it) for a year or so(**), then go get a shiny new Wee with ABS.

(*) Too small? Consider I put as many satisfying miles on my 250cc scooter as I do on the Wee. And, I'm 6'4" and 225.

(**) Alternatively, I think MSF considers +5k miles to be an experienced rider.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts