StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've no intention of starting a brand/model discussion, this is something slightly different.

I have a set of 90/10 touring tires that have about 6000 km / 3500 mi on them now. By all accounts, the tires should last at least another 9000 km, especially as I am a pretty gentle rider.

That said, I have a course coming up this spring, and then the Touratech rally in June, so I'm going to be swapping the tires out in late April or early May, and they will still have many thousands of kms to go. My girlfriend has a cruiser, so most of our riding is on road.

My thought is to swap the 90/10 out for my offroad tires (I've decided on those too, thanks...), and then swap them back on in June, and store the off-roads until I need them again in August (maybe...) or in 2019. Is that crazy?

Thanks.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If they still have considerable life, I'd keep them around for that unexpected situation. Or just because they were still good.
I tend too keep everything I could need later. Yeah I have a bunch of crap.

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
That's what I've done a couple times. Helps that I have a tire machine, so no cost involved.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I don't see any reason not to; if they still have some useable life and aren't too old, why not?

I always keep my last replaced tire around, just in case I have some sort of catastrophic failure of the new tire and need something to throw on until I can get a replacement.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
keep em but you will get tired changing tires every other month unless you have a fast professional setup to do so.

If this is an ongoing problem get a second set of wheels (or at least a second rear if touring longer distance).

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
It really depends on if you are paying to get tires installed and how much that costs is.

I have a NoMar tire machine and have had one tire off and on my DR 3 times wearing it out. I put in on and run it when I know I be staying local for a few weeks. Then If a trip comes up I'll swap it out for a tire suited for the trip. It has maybe another 500 miles on it then it will be ready for the bone pile. SO tire changers really do pay for themselves in several ways:

1- Buy tire cheaper on line and get them shipped to your door
2- You can get all the mileage out of a tire
3- You don't have to pay someone to scratch your rims

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts
How old are they?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I may be the only dissenter here. I would toss them, or donate them to a needy rider. If I am going to go through the trouble of mounting tires, they are going to be new! Besides, there is nothing like brand new rubber!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm going to keep them, and treat it like winter tires on my car - swap them out once or twice a season, when I need to.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Reactions: Big B

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
It really depends on if you are paying to get tires installed and how much that costs is.

I have a NoMar tire machine and have had one tire off and on my DR 3 times wearing it out. I put in on and run it when I know I be staying local for a few weeks. Then If a trip comes up I'll swap it out for a tire suited for the trip. It has maybe another 500 miles on it then it will be ready for the bone pile. SO tire changers really do pay for themselves in several ways:

1- Buy tire cheaper on line and get them shipped to your door
2- You can get all the mileage out of a tire
3- You don't have to pay someone to scratch your rims
Not that I have anywhere to put such a thing right now ... but how much would a decent tire changer be? (And implied in my question is, would something from Harbor Freight count as "decent"? ;) )

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
You need the HF motorcycle assembly which is rather primitive. Get the base welded up for stability.
Need nylon blocks for the 3 rim clamps!!
Tie down strap to tie down the rim to the holder or else it will spin or pop out. It will!!
Need a no scuff mounting bar
Need "That Yellow Thing" and a few woold blocks to keep the tire in the rim depression.
A good tire lube (don't go cheap = dish soap here)
A couple of tire irons
Sunshine to heat the tire before changing, very important! A cold tire will fight you, a hot one will come off and back on MUCH easier.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
The HF unit modified with a set of Mojo blocks is a very usable tire changer for not a lot of money. The rub is the "lever/bar" that comes w/ the HF unit is all steel and will be a rim scratcher. So a NoMar or a Mojo lever with anti scratch ends on it will set you back over an additional $100.

My NoMar was something like $500 and like lots of thing in life you get what you pay for. Even at $500 really within about 4 tires the machine has paid for itself. 1st you save on labor. Where I live that can be anywhere between $20 and $80 per wheel depending on who's removing/replacing the wheels. You also will be able to buy tires online at in my experience 20 to 50% savings over local shops. Plus you get to buy tires you want and not what the shop has in stock and is trying to sell. You also change tires on your schedule and don't have to miss work to get you bike to/from the shop or waste a Saturday waiting for tires to get changed.

I have changed well over 200 tires on my NoMar in the last 5 years I have owned it. The 4" box tube riser did have a couple welds break I called NoMar and within a day a new one was on the way at no charge.

My tire machine also generates beer. Change a couple of tires for buddies and a couple cases of beer show up.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
I always keep my last replaced tire around, just in case I have some sort of catastrophic failure of the new tire and need something to throw on until I can get a replacement.
Same here -- unless they're totally shagged, I keep my last set around just in case I, one of my friends, or some passing Strommer needs a tire to get home.

I mount my own tires (tire irons and experience -- never did get along with the No Mar), so there are no shop fees.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts