StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I've been considering a V-Strom for several years. I think I am ready to pull the trigger. I currently own a 2009 BMW R1200RT and a 2011 Yamaha FZ8, both of which have been for sale off-and-on the last couple of years. I thought I either wanted a naked bike and that nice clean air (FZ8 ), or massive wind protection (R1200RT). After only putting between 1,000 and 2,000 miles a year on each bike the last 4 years (plus a couple of bikes for my girlfriend), I've decided I would really like to get down to just one bike, a V-Strom 650.

A dealer about 40 minutes away has a new 2016 V-Strom 650ABS, in red (pretty), for $6999. Add $299 setup/delivery/freight/whatever, $89 doc fee and taxes and it seems like a screaming deal. Problem is, I REALLY don't want to store 3 bikes over the winter. I just got to the point where we can get 2 cars in the garage. My car got kicked out by my girlfriend's brand new BMW X3. Got the price on the FZ8 down to $4,800 and just can't sell it. Dealer only offered $3500 trade. I can probably sell it next spring easily for $4500 +.

So...should I just buy the V-Strom? Is it too good deal to pass up? Not sure how it would fit in the garage, but I can give it a try.

·
Registered
168 Posts
You already have a couple bikes that you are not riding, why add another? If you can sell both other bikes, than I would shop for the Vee2. Thinking winter is the best time, especially in your area.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Great bike for riding in Idaho, well any bike really, Idaho is beautiful!

uncaged

·
Registered
196 Posts
If you want it and have the money, get it.

But...keep in mind, a piece of machinery not being used, needs its own care. If you have all the others, and you spend even a minimum of time working...the ones less favored won't get much use.

Take the time to store them right, or sell them. Nothing sadder to me than seeing a thirty-year-old machine pop up with 1500 miles on it, rusted out for want of basic care when it was in the back of the barn...

·
Premium Member
4,802 Posts
Why won't the dealer take the FZ8 in trade ( terrific bike )

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not that the dealer won't take the FZ8 on trade. They are only offering $3500. I can probably sell it in the spring for $4500 - $5000. Hard to sell a bike this time of year in Idaho. I'm sure the dealer would just sell it wholesale if they took it on trade. They don't want more inventory in motorcycles. Need to make room for snow sleds.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But...keep in mind, a piece of machinery not being used, needs its own care. If you have all the others, and you spend even a minimum of time working...the ones less favored won't get much use.

Take the time to store them right, or sell them. Nothing sadder to me than seeing a thirty-year-old machine pop up with 1500 miles on it, rusted out for want of basic care when it was in the back of the barn...
Exactly why I'm not crazy about buying a third bike. It's a heck of a deal, but I need to store all three over the winter...

It's not that the dealer won't take the FZ8 on trade. They are only offering $3500. I can probably sell it in the spring for $4500 - $5000. Hard to sell a bike this time of year in Idaho. I'm sure the dealer would just sell it wholesale if they took it on trade. They don't want more inventory in motorcycles. Need to make room for snow sleds.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Get the Bike it's what BMW should be making!
You're not far off on that statement. As a previous owner of an F650CS and an R1150R, I've gotta say that I feel like I've missed out not giving Suzuki a chance sooner.

To the OP, that sounds like a deal, it's a little less than what I just paid for a new left over '13.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I did it

Well, I did it. Carl's Cycle Sales here in Boise made me an offer I couldn't (OK, well... didn't) refuse. Got a new, 2015, pretty blue V-Strom 650 for my FZ8 + $3800 out the door (total, tax, doc fee and.. well that was it). I could have held on to the FZ8, put money into a new front tire, the 8K maintenance, and maybe got another $800 out of it in the spring. But selling bikes is a pain, especially when you want a reasonable amount for them and they are worth more than a couple grand. It's done! Now to get past the break-in period. Man, 5,000 rpm's is low... :smile2:

DSC_0218_cropped.jpg

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Don't worry about the 5000rpm. Ride it the way you want as long as you feel safe. Just don't tell anybody about it. You aren't going to break or wear out anything early. The bike has already been very close to red line under load on the factory dyno. The only reason I can see for the break in procedure is to break in the rider.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Good job.

I've had a couple bikes for sale for ages, and I live in a warm climate.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Don't worry about the 5000rpm. Ride it the way you want as long as you feel safe. Just don't tell anybody about it. You aren't going to break or wear out anything early. The bike has already been very close to red line under load on the factory dyno. The only reason I can see for the break in procedure is to break in the rider.
Exactly. The engine needs a varying load to set the rings - the main purpose of a break in. The secondary effect is to "bed" the bearings.
A good way to help teh process up front is to find a fairly steep hill and start out with the intent of balancing teh gear with throttle so you get the most throttle at mid RPM - this produces maximum chamber pressure as you're loading the engine.
Other than that ride it like you stole it!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. Read this article.:
Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power
I've got some friends that have bought bikes that were babied/broken in per the manual that were oil burners for life. I've also got a few friends that bought a brand new bike and then rode it directly to the local dyno shop and to do break in per the article above. If I ever buy a brand-new vehicle, it will not be broken in at low RPM per the manual.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts