StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.....................Or should I get out and see the sights?

My wife and I are flying up to Toronto on business in early October and it looks like we will have at least a Saturday to enjoy the city. The client is booking the room, which I suspect will be in the downtown area.

I'm asking the local troopers for any suggestions of things to do or see in the city.

Off the beaten track, non-touristy things would be our preference.

We like to hike, so walking would probably be our preferred mode of transport.

We have already been up the CN tower for dinner and given the recent seismic activity, I think I'd like to check out some things closer to the ground.

Thanks,

Norm

·
Registered
81 Posts
Gotta get outside!

Quick reply but, there is plenty to do.

You could start internet research with four areas in the city: Little Italy, Queen West, Yorkville and The Beach. My preference would be Little Italy in the evening, for a stroll, restaurants and ice cream/gelatto. Very pleasant. There is also a cool scooter shop called Motoretta.

The other three are nice but, you get a good cross section of people (local and tourist) and some nice, affordable restaurants in Little Italy...more later.

It's a great city. Enjoy!

Cheers!

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Tom, that's just what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
313 Posts
China Town in Toronto is great if you like that kind of food. It's right in the downtown area.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Thanks, Tom, that's just what I'm looking for.
Born and raised in Toronto... I would never go back to live there.... I still work there, however... I am a country boy now... the big city scares me... Too many baggy pant teenagers... I jest of course, it is safe and there is lots to do... Be prepared for $50 + meals and costly movie prices too... If you don't have a rental car take the subway, taxi cabs are again on the seriously pricey side... Have fun Norm and the Misses...

Richard

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Be prepared for $50 + meals and costly movie prices too... If you don't have a rental car take the subway
As long as I can get Beaver-on-a-Stick from street vendors, I will have enough protein to survive. However, my wife is not nearly as big a beaver fan as am I.

I would consider it an insult to the people of Toronto to see a Hollywood movie during my visit there. As a courtesy, I will watch re-runs of Law and Order while still here to get glimpses of Toronto.

As a big fan of Jules Verne, I'm looking forward to the subway.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Gotta get outside

Not too many baggy pants anymore. It is hipster central though.

I work downtown everyday and wish I could live there.

Not sure about the poutine recommendation but, I hear Burrito Boys is a bit of an institution, no poutine though.

If you are in on a Saturday and are looking for an early morning start, you can't beat the St. Lawrence Market. Local purveyors of food and, if you are looking for local flavor, you can't beat the pea meal bacon on a bun.

There used to be a great website called martiniboys.com but I am not getting a good hit so I would recommend Torontolife.com. They also publish a magazine and you will get everything from concerts to movies to restaurants and you can break it down by neighborhood.

Another cool neighborhood is Kensington Market

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sorry, I stand corrected, my daughter advises Poutine standards have risen to a very high level in recnt years :)

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Lived and worked downtown for almost the past 2 decades... Toronto has Bixi rental bikes that you can also rent for cheap ($5/24hrs)and take a ride along the city to cover more ground - then drop the bikes off at a bike station close to your destination. There is a great waterfront trail that spans the bulk of the city which is a nice way to take in a few hours.

Toronto Island is also a nice place and ferry rides/water taxi's are frequent and cheap.

Burrito Boys is really good and they are located downtown on Adelaide west of Duncan.

Toronto has incredible multicultural foods for really cheap if you like to try different foods. If you want to know (for your wife of course) some different casual cuisines, post up.

As mentioned Kensington Market (day), St Lawrence Market (day), Little Italy (night), Yorkville (day/night/expensive).

Riverdale Farm in the east end is also neat for a free visit, as is the free Allan Garden plant conservatory, the Art Gallery, the Museum and more.

High Park in the west has nice walking trails as does the the route along the Don River (east).

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Get Janice Clanfield's autograph!
What makes you think I know how to write?

Maybe I'll just put my "X" in their autograph book...

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everybody, we might have to extend our stay.

Keep it coming, my wife will have a little more time than me when I'm in the office during the week.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My wife and I went in July a little over ten years ago. Stayed at the Courtyard Marriott downtown and LOVED the city. One of our favorite places was the Island. Rent bikes and see the city from a great perspective. They seem to have lots of festivals so check the happenin's calendar. Have fun Norm!

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Call me a geek, but I'd visit the ROM (Royal Ontario Museum) or the AGO (Art Gallery of Ontario). Both are terrific places.

Of course, if you'd like I could take you on a walking tour of the Gay Village...

:hurray:

·
Registered
705 Posts
Make sure you know exactly how much the ricshaw ride is going to cost before climbing aboard (which of course is contigent on you knowing where you're going and how much you drank).

Toronto Poutine??????

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Call me a geek, but I'd visit the ROM (Royal Ontario Museum) or the AGO (Art Gallery of Ontario). Both are terrific places.

Of course, if you'd like I could take you on a walking tour of the Gay Village...

:hurray:
Any of those sound entertaining.

We love museums, I'll punch those acronyms into my Googlemachine.

We also like parks and live music.

My client might have already booked us into the Gay Village for all I know. I'll figure it out when the girls I thought were whistling at me, start hitting on my wife. We'd have to stay in Troll Village for me to get hit on by anybody.

I'd be happy to give you my autograph, preferably on the back side of a check (cheque) with a lot of zeros on the front side.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts