StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks:

Earlier today I was tightening my chain for the first time and I got it done (I'm very proud of myself).

What I'm not so proud of was that I had the keys in the ignition turned to ON for the approximate 1 hour it took me (yes I know, I'm not that fast).

I had about 6-7V of battery left and needless to say; it didn't turn on.

So I had a friend help me by attempting to jump with jumper cables. We connected the car clamps to the POS and NEG terminals and connected to the motorcycle POS and NEG ring connectors to the POS and NEG of my battery. We saw some sparks then nothing. The car was off a this time. We waited about 30 seconds. I put the key ignition to ON and saw that there was no volt reading. I then tried to start and nothing happened. I told my friend to turn her car on and then tried again; and again nothing happened.

So I realize I suck at jumping my battery from a car battery. I found: How to jump start your bike with a dead battery. which says not to connect the negative motorcycle terminal to the battery terminal but doesn't say why.

So questions for you:
1) Do I need a new battery? Leaving for S. America next month. Is there a way of knowing that I do?
2) Why didn't the motorcycle start up when I tried to jump it?
3) Do I need to connect the negative motorcycle connector to ground? If so why?
4) How long do I need let it charge for before trying to startup?

Best,
David

·
Registered
321 Posts
You're not going to S. America on a motorcycle, do you? Buy yourself a cheap voltmeter if you do...

To jump start, connect cables to + and - on bike (Stroms don't have ground), then connect + on car, then - on car.
I believe Strom needs at least 11.4 volts to even attempt cranking. Turn on car engine, make sure you ignition is on, kill switch is on, gear in neutral or kick stand is up before pushing.that black button. Yes, squeeze the clutch too...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Starting the car is not needed or a good idea. As the prior post stated just turn the car on. Stroms have lots of aluminum to find grounds for anything a magnet is a nice to have item

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Starting the car is not needed or a good idea. As the prior post stated just turn the car on. Stroms have lots of aluminum to find grounds for anything a magnet is a nice to have item
How long do I need to have the key turned ON on the car before trying to start up the bike?

Also do I need to have the ring connectors firmly attached? i was just holding them on there to save time (I was late).

So it seems like I don't need a ground for this to work. Just neg terimanl => neg terminal.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Don't turn the car ignition on at all. Go from battery terminal to battery terminal and get the polarities right. Clamp, don't just hold. Check the 30A main fuse on the bike. It sounds like you blew it. You can start the bike right away with no waiting.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Also, get a battery 'tenderizer' (or tender to be correct), and use it to keep your battery topped off at all times... running it down to near empty is what will kill a non deep-cycle battery lot sooner than necessary.

·
Registered
232 Posts
This thread is an excellent example of why, when seeking troubleshooting advice, it's a good idea to wait until Greywolf replies and to not assume the first two or three responses were written by people who know what they're talking about. Also, I wouldn't recommend going into a store and asking for a battery tenderizer.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
This thread is an excellent example of why, when seeking troubleshooting advice, it's a good idea to wait until Greywolf replies and to not assume the first two or three responses were written by people who know what they're talking about. Also, I wouldn't recommend going into a store and asking for a battery tenderizer.

What pray tell was the OP told that was incorrect ? The odds are the polarity was reversed if the fuse was blown. Turning on a car or truck not running causes a slight drain.That way it is not possible to overpower the bikes electrical system. Even running it is not likely that a running car will blow one, the charging voltages are close , it is just more likely it could happen

·
Registered
21 Posts
What pray tell was the OP told that was incorrect ? The odds are the polarity was reversed if the fuse was blown. Turning on a car or truck not running causes a slight drain.That way it is not possible to overpower the bikes electrical system. Even running it is not likely that a running car will blow one, the charging voltages are close , it is just more likely it could happen
Perhaps the polarities were reversed. Perhaps he connected the negative side first and grounded the positive side when attaching it. But, still not a good idea to start the car when jumping a bike. You don't need the amperage supplied by a car. You just want to borrow the cars giant battery reserve to compensate for your drained battery.

OP: Do buy a new AGM battery for piece of mind. Do buy a Battery Tender so you can plug in and top off your battery when in motels. Do the math and do not run sufficient electric gizmos to run down your battery.
You might also consider making up a set of lightweight jumper cables with small alligator clips. The big jumper cable alligator clips are part of the problem when trying to jump a bike.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
First off check the fuse as Greywolf has stated. Then if you get your bike to start you will want to get it charged by riding it for awhile. A battery tender is a good idea I have them for all of my toys. I would make sure your battery has a full charge then take it in and have it load tested. This is the only way you can truly gauge the health of your battery. If you connect it to the car just leave everything off the battery alone is enough for you bike.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First off check the fuse as Greywolf has stated. Then if you get your bike to start you will want to get it charged by riding it for awhile. A battery tender is a good idea I have them for all of my toys. I would make sure your battery has a full charge then take it in and have it load tested. This is the only way you can truly gauge the health of your battery. If you connect it to the car just leave everything off the battery alone is enough for you bike.
It turns out I didn't blow a fuse. I ended up hooking it to my Battery Tender Plus and charged it right back up again without issue.

Thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
48 Posts
What pray tell was the OP told that was incorrect

Turning on a car or truck not running causes a slight drain.That way it is not possible to overpower the bikes electrical system.
See above for an example of something "incorrect" Whether there's a small load on the battery or not makes no difference whatsoever to whether its possible to 'overpower' the bikes electrical system.

If you have time, a battery charger is a better way of limiting the damage to the battery as it puts less current into the battery than jump-starting it. Less current gives less heat and less gas generated and therefore less damage and longer life :)

If you need to jump start it, follow Greywolf's advice, i.e. directly connect terminals on batteries. Start bike, then remove leads. Running the engine on the car will increase the car voltage slightly and cause a slight increase in charging current (which is car battery voltage less bike voltage divided by internal resistance of both batteries).

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The only problem with running the car would be if the car's voltage regulator is not working properly. Since the car battery is more than enough to start the bike by itself, why take a chance? A 12V battery alone, no matter what physical size, cannot output too much voltage and current will be controlled by the load.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Just another thing to keep in mind for some time in the future when you need to jump it. The bike won't charge the battery that quickly so don't expect a quick 10 minute ride to bring it back up to snuff (unless of course that 10 minute ride is to somewhere with a battery tender and you can let it sit). I'd give it a good hour or more to be safe. "Sorry, honey, I can't do the dishes. I gotta charge the battery for a couple hours" :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I just want to mention the safety aspect of jump starting a motorcycle battery by the methods stated so far. A discharged lead acid battery will begin to produce explosive gas. The jump starting procedure can cause a spark. Unless it is a matter of life or death to get the bike started, I would opt for the safer method of charging from a charger. Use the procedure outlined in the instructions, along with making the connections at the discharged battery with screwed down ring terminals. If the bike must be jump started, put your helmet on with the face shield down, and if you can use can make the connections with screwed down terminals or appropriately sized strong clamps.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
The reason it is recommended to ground the negative terminal to the frame while jumpstarting is to avoid just the kind of spark that you got at the battery. Sometimes batteries can give off explosive gases, and sparks in the vicinity can cause loss of eyebrows.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Even when connecting with correct polarity, 12 volts from the car battery connected to 6-7 volts on the dead motorcycle battery will cause a spark. No harm except the possibility with a vented battery of a hydrogen explosion.:jawdrop:

We connected the car clamps to the POS and NEG terminals and connected to the motorcycle POS and NEG ring connectors to the POS and NEG of my battery.
You lost me. With their own wiring connected on both vehicles, just connect positive to positive and negative to negative--cable + clamp to good vehicle battery + terminal, other cable + to dead vehicle battery + terminal, cable - to good vehicle - terminal, then, as said above, the last of the four jumper connections to make is the cable negative clamp to the frame of the dead vehicle (and others may use a different sequence which is OK as long as no electronics get fried and no battery explodes).

·
Registered
22,426 Posts
just cause you can jump start the bike off a car battery, don't expect the bikes charging system to have the battery all charged up like you would a car after 15-20 minutes of driving

I would jump start a batter in a pinch to get back home but I would NEVER jump start a bike to begin a ride and expect the battery to be charged if I have to stop and turn the bike off

the reason you don't want to jump a bike with a running car is right in the owners manual where it states never charge the battery at a charge rate of over 5 amps, car charging systems exceed that rate :beatnik:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I made a cheap set of bike to bike jumpers out of a lamp cord and gator clips. While not the SAE standard, it'll get me by in a pinch.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts