StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
The Strom would probably suit you.

Preferably try to find one locally you can ride.

If you are keen on one you can't get to ride yourself try getting one of the forum members from here who lives near the bike to check it out for you [they may not be prepared to actually take the responsibility of actually riding it- if they crash it who pays for it? If it turns out not to meet your expectations based on their opinion what do you do after a long trip to pick it up?].

The Wee Strom is a brilliant all round bike, the Vee is fairly good too. :flaming_devil: [that should stir the Vee owners in to commenting :green_lol: ]

Both are excellent bikes, best value for money available. :thumbup:

·
Registered
413 Posts
For what it's worth... I would think most people who read the 650 threads also scan the General discussion threads. There really isn't a great need to double post questions.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
any thoughts on buying and shipping a DL650 online w/o seeing it first?
No way. Was it crashed? Was the engine run without oil or without coolant? There can be a thousand things wrong the previous owner could have done to damage the bike. Every bike needs a test ride, or at absolute minimum watch the seller ride it to be sure it runs well and tracks straight.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Replied in detail in other thread.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I'm not handing my hard earned cash over without first laying on of hands. This is different than a commodity item like a book from Amazon or some other online transactions. Too much can be wrong or misrepresented; I'd agree with another poster that recommended that find one locally or ask someone on this forum to go look at it for you to verify condition before you lay down the mooolah! :beatnik:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Quick reply to your question ..DON`T DO IT!!!! ....:jawdrop:

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
If it's from a mainstream dealership, eg: an authorized Suzuki dealership, then it's perfectly fine to buy on line. You'll have plenty of legal recourse on the bike, the contract, etc. in the unlikely event that the dealer is dumping junk. A lot of bikes are sold this way.

If it's "Some Guy" selling his personal property, forget it, or at a minimum, find someone here who can really check it over for you.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
If it's from a mainstream dealership, eg: an authorized Suzuki dealership, then it's perfectly fine to buy on line. You'll have plenty of legal recourse on the bike, the contract, etc. in the unlikely event that the dealer is dumping junk. A lot of bikes are sold this way.

If it's "Some Guy" selling his personal property, forget it, or at a minimum, find someone here who can really check it over for you.
What he said!

·
Registered
568 Posts
FWIW, I bought my Wee from a Stromtrooper member. I view any used purchase as a done deal, believing that a dealer might feel even more inclined to tell you to go pound sand, so I did my best on it beforehand and placed a bit of weight on the fact that the Previous Owner was here.

I assume that any Strom has been bashed in some fashion or other. Mine had a skid plate, crash bars, Pro Tapers and Barkbusters on it. The PO did say what wrong with the bike and what maintenance would need to be done soon. I got pictures beforehand, asked him some questions, and then drove to pick it up - but it was a day's ride away.

I did not ask for a pre-purchase inspection w a compression and blow-down test because I can fix most anything that goes wrong. (If you don't feel comfortable as a mechanic, an inspection would be a good idea). A cracked/warped block (from running without coolant or oil) will blow smoke or leak, but a charlatan who is committed to deceiving you usually can for a short period of time, so I try to feel comfortable with my counterparty.

It has worked out pretty well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
There are three really important factors to consider in buying a Vstrom with mileages of less than 20K. The 1st is oil change intervals and the second is whether it was wrecked or dropped. Thirdly, did it see a lot of off road time which is generally related to #2.

In person inspection can determine to some degree the degradation due to #2 and #3, but a good series of photos can be useful, but a test ride is really needed to make certain all is well or not. Only if the engine is in really bad shape can you determine the oil change interval. So, in the end its best to really be there and go for a test ride.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts