StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting to buy a V-strom but someone from this form suggested looking at the new 07 Triumph Tiger. So I checked it out and bought it. Except for that it was leaking oil, it over heats, the fuel gauge is not accurate. They fixed the leak and it looks like it has been fixed. The dealer is totally incompatant (only triumph dealership in Denver). They messed up the loan and now I just found out they didn't do the title work right and I can't get my plates.
I did call Triump Motorcycles and they were just as helpful as the dealer.

But other than that, it is the finest motorcycle I have ever ridin:rolleyes:

Anybody have a new V-Strom they want to trade?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Bummer, Greg.
I had a triumph salesman tell me when I asked about reliability that Triumph were good weekend toys, but for daily use they weren't reliable. That turned me off right now, as I like to ride my bikes a lot, and I don't have money to repair them monthly.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I was wanting to buy a V-strom but someone from this form suggested looking at the new 07 Triumph Tiger. So I checked it out and bought it. Except for that it was leaking oil, it over heats, the fuel gauge is not accurate. They fixed the leak and it looks like it has been fixed. The dealer is totally incompatant (only triumph dealership in Denver). They messed up the loan and now I just found out they didn't do the title work right and I can't get my plates.
I did call Triump Motorcycles and they were just as helpful as the dealer.

But other than that, it is the finest motorcycle I have ever ridin:rolleyes:

Anybody have a new V-Strom they want to trade?

Sorry to hear....in MD we have a three day remorse law...if it's less then 3 full days, you can cancel the loan and contract and give them back your bike. Another option is to take it back and have them fix, really fix the leak. If they fail to fix it within 3 times, go lemon law and give it back...lastly, if they also sell Suzuki's...maybe, just maybe you can talk to them.....

Jeff

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not as lucky

I am glad your salesperson was responsible enough to tell you that. I just had one who said whatever it took to sell me. I only have 1100 miles on it and I do love to ride it, but I’ll never have the confidence that I should have in it.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I am glad your salesperson was responsible enough to tell you that. I just had one who said whatever it took to sell me. I only have 1100 miles on it and I do love to ride it, but I’ll never have the confidence that I should have in it.
OK, I'm confuzzled ! :rolleyes:
If you can't get plates how have you put 1100mi. on the Tigger:???:

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Getting Parts

I visited a Triumph dealer once and overheard a salesman say that Triumph had no where near the parts warehousing and distribution network that Suzuki has, which makes getting parts in a timely fashion difficult or even impossible. This might be part of the reason why you've had trouble getting yours fixed.

Think of the long-term implications of this over the life of your motorcycle. Just another reason I chose my Wee. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I'd be looking for ways to take it back or trade it in. :(

·
Registered
22,267 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, I'm confuzzled ! :rolleyes:
If you can't get plates how have you put 1100mi. on the Tigger:???:
In Colorado thry give you 45 day temporary paper plates so the dealer has time to send the title work to the county. Also if you don't take off your temp tags around here they will be stolen. Very hot item for car thieves. Very big hassler for me.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I may have been the one who suggested looking at that bike...and I'd still suggest it to anybody else. It was just included in a "10 Best" list on one of the moto-rags I subscribe to, and the thing still creeps into my dreams at night. Maybe 'cause a had a '95 Speed Triple that I loved (and put 27,000 CARE FREE miles on before destroying it in a hard put-down going 70+mph).

I say give it another week. If you still hate it, let me know. I could be convinced to trade you my fully loaded '04 black Wee AND my MZ Baghira...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sorry to hear you're having these problems. I had considered the Tiger as well but cost and the fact that they have biased the bike towards a more street as opposed to "adventure" bike made me swing back to the DL650.

I thought the Hinckley Triumphs were supposed to be a lot more reliable than the older bikes.

There is a definite cool factor for Euro bikes that Japanese bikes don't seem to have (what's not to like about the twin headlights on the Triple and the frame on a Monster?) but that's a personal preference. But I do like the fact that I don't have to think about whether the DL is going to strand me somewhere.

Hopefully once you get the initial issues sorted out it will be a solid ride for you.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I hope it will turn out well for you too. I know that the Triumph's are supposed to be really good. I would try to get the initial issues sorted out and and then judge the bike.

I have had very few bikes that didn't have a few initial bugs (like the 2800rpm stumble on my Vee, or a battery that kept dieing on a cruiser I owned). After a few weeks they got sorted and I liked them.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
I was wanting to buy a V-strom but someone from this form suggested looking at the new 07 Triumph Tiger....
Greg, you joined this board today and you have a total of 3 posts, all in this thread.

When was it we suggested you look at the Tiger and what was you user name when it happened?

Not that I find this somewhat suspect or anything.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Heavy, he could have been lurking. I suggested to someone they should look at the Tiger in a very recent thread (I'm too lazy to look it up). Could have picked it up from there (or was it the BARF website?)...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Greg, you joined this board today and you have a total of 3 posts, all in this thread.

When was it we suggested you look at the Tiger and what was you user name when it happened?

Thanks for the disclaimer Heavy, you’re correct it is my first three post. Not just here but anywhere. You don't have to be a member to read the postings and I did not have a user name until today. I have kept these issues to myself. An oil leak on my brand new bike was embarrassing to me. Just to be clear the leak is fixed.
When I called triumph from my work today Peter at customer service told me he would not read the e-mail that I sent to [email protected] and I needed to tell him over the phone what the problem was. At his insistences I told him of the oil leak and the problems I was having with the dealer over the phone, much to the delight of 5 Harley riding office mates.
Well since the cat is out of the bag, and my office mates enjoyed it so much I thought I would share with everyone.
I don’t know who the member was and doesn’t matter, but you can look at what Atomic Spew had to say on this thread.
Heavy, if you are wondering about my intensions, my name is my sign on. I will also be fair.
The Tiger 1050 is the most awesome machine I have ever ridden and I have ridden a few.
Many smile a mile. As Atomic spew said I have dreams about it, heck I can’t even sleep I think about it so much. I would probably buy it again. I just wanted to post my personal experience, not someone else’s review.

A little ironic but I tried to post this rant on R.A.T. (rider association of triumph) but there site was unable to sign up new members at this time. “Please check back daily”

Sorry guys, I just needed to get it out.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Okay. Like I said, I just found it strange.

Personally? I have a real lust going to the new Tiger, maybe I was just trying to protect my dream. ;)

What colour did you get? Have you ridden 2-up for any distance? What did your passenger think? My wife rides on the back of the Strom a fair bit and the Tiger pillion seat does not look as inviting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay. Like I said, I just found it strange.

Personally? I have a real lust going to the new Tiger, maybe I was just trying to protect my dream. ;)

What colour did you get? Have you ridden 2-up for any distance? What did your passenger think? My wife rides on the back of the Strom a fair bit and the Tiger pillion seat does not look as inviting.
Cool, I bought the blue one, and I have done 3 rides of about 150 miles. Not a butt burner at all. The vibration is of a high frequency but it doesn’t seem to bother me.
My wife says it pretty good, not as bad as she thought it would be. She’s only been twice but only about 50 miles a pop. Now that she has learned to hold on she likes it pretty well (she got a little lazy with the Gold Wing 95 1500 aspen and she didn’t like the DR:eek: ).

Here is your disclaimer Heavy: If you ride it you will probably forget you ever read about my experience. It is very intoxicating. Rode it like I stole on the way home today. What a machine.

I know I am contradictive, but the dealer and Triumph have me a little sore.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
I actually had an offer to ride a white one, my personal favorite colour, and turned it down.

I know I'm weak. I don't need the extra temptation. :cool:

·
Banned
1,583 Posts

I must admit this seemed strange to me too. I mean, why would you go on a V-Strom enthusiasts website and ask what bike to buy, then have someone on that site recommend a Triumph, then buy it and go back and complain about oil leaks, overheating, poor service, now everythings O.K. & you love it.......etc.

By the way, how are the overheating and fuel guage problems ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I must admit this seemed strange to me too. I mean, why would you go on a V-Strom enthusiasts website and ask what bike to buy, then have someone on that site recommend a Triumph, then buy it and go back and complain about oil leaks, overheating, poor service, now everythings O.K. & you love it.......etc.

By the way, how are the overheating and fuel guage problems ?
Didn't say everythings okay, fuel gague is not accurate (much complained about on R.A.T) runs hotter than manual says it should and over heated once, I am at 5300' and it has been warm here but it still shouldn't over heat. And the service has been less then satasfactory the whole time.

But like I said, one just needs to take the Tiger around the block and forget your worries.
It is a very frustrating.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts