StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been going through my bike and I planned on cleaning and tensioning my chain today. I looked in the manual for chain tension, but then I thought is that the right amount of tension for two up 90% of the time..two up that are closer to 400 than 300..what are your thoughts?

Dom

·
Registered
631 Posts
It varies bike to bike based on swingarm geometry and how much sag you're getting based on your suspension and settings.

1. Adjust your chain as it's called for in the manual.
  2. Sit on the bike solo and have someone measure the amount of chain slack present, record it.
  3. Sit on the bike with your passenger and have the 3rd person measure the amount of slack present, record it.
Depending on geometry as mentioned above, it may be no different. If it is, adjust the chain so it has the same amount of slack 2-up as it measured solo.

·
Administrator
17,218 Posts
It varies bike to bike based on swingarm geometry and how much sag you're getting based on your suspension and settings.

1. Adjust your chain as it's called for in the manual.
  2. Sit on the bike solo and have someone measure the amount of chain slack present, record it.
  3. Sit on the bike with your passenger and have the 3rd person measure the amount of slack present, record it.
Depending on geometry as mentioned above, it may be no different. If it is, adjust the chain so it has the same amount of slack 2-up as it measured solo.
You are thinking way too much about a simple adjustment. Randy probably rides and puts more mileage than 3/4 of riders out there "all year", so his recommendations are typically spot on.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Factory chain adjustments are based on the slack needed with the sprocket, swingarm pivot, and rear axle all aligned. Difference in weight makes no difference.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
It's the rear suspension preload that should be changed, not the chain tension which is set to be okay for the entire suspension swing.

·
Registered
631 Posts
You are thinking way too much about a simple adjustment. Randy probably rides and puts more mileage than 3/4 of riders out there "all year", so his recommendations are typically spot on.

Of the 26+ motorcycles I've owned in the past 33 years, several of those bikes have had swingarm geometry that will affect chain tension as you get 1/2 way into the regular range of suspension travel. With 400 pounds on a Vstrom, there is a lot more suspension travel being utilized on domromer's bike unless he's completely rebuilt the front/rear suspension with this load in mind.

Why did I recommend that simple method of checking? So domromer could have the satisfaction of a definitive answer if he wanted to take the 2 minutes involved to check.

·
Administrator
17,218 Posts
Of the 26+ motorcycles I've owned in the past 33 years, several of those bikes have had swingarm geometry that will affect chain tension as you get 1/2 way into the regular range of suspension travel. With 400 pounds on a Vstrom, there is a lot more suspension travel being utilized on domromer's bike unless he's completely rebuilt the front/rear suspension with this load in mind.

Why did I recommend that simple method of checking? So domromer could have the satisfaction of a definitive answer if he wanted to take the 2 minutes involved to check.
You are correct, but he was referring to the chain slack on a Strom and not another model bike.:fineprint:

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the feedback guys..it's much appreciated.

·
Registered
22,310 Posts
chain should always be adjusted so that when the suspension travel has the countersprocket, swingarm pivot and rear sprocket in alignment that the chain still slightly slack

if at any point in the suspension travel, the chain becomes completely taught, it will potentally damage the countershaft, the countershaft bearings or the countershaft seal

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts