StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so...i am picking up the bike in 2 days (first strom, but prolly 15th bike)....I know how the forums work. There are usually the "duh" stuff that you do/check for right off the bat.

can you point me in the right direction? I am sure I have seen alot of it, but I dont want to miss anything.

bike is a 2007 1000cc with 19k miles.

MP Designs windshield
KTM mirrors
Madstad Mount
Touratech Cross Bar
Ventura Headlight Guard
Sonic Fork Springs
Touratech Tank Bag Set with extra tank bag
SW Motech Crash Bars
Adventure Motostuff Bash Plate
SW Motech Centerstand
Russel Day Long Saddle small squares
Wilber model 640 Shock with hyd preload
Happy Trails SU Rack
Happy Trails Tail Plate
GIVI Monokey Topcase 52l with tail light
GIVI Backrest
KLR650.com Aluminum Panniers

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,439 Posts
Congratulations! looks like you found yourself a very well equipped Vee! I would want to know what maintenance has been done. Especially if the valves have been checked. Beyond that I would want to know about the chain and sprockets and if they have been replaced. Otherwise, if it seems to run right there is not a lot to go wrong.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so, PO tells me that...its in great shape. But is ready for maintenance.

he is giving me the new air filter, plugs, a new set of maxxis detours, and even a new set of enclosed bearings.

he says its ready for a valve adjust, and throttle body sync as well.

so, its sounds like he was not interested in doing the maintenance since he knew he was selling. I am assuming that with all the money spent on accessories...that the regular maintenance was handled...but, its only an assumption. he did say he is giving me the service manual he bought.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,439 Posts
Valves should be checked ( fairly easy job ) and likely will still be in spec. Actually adjusting the valves involves removing/replacing the shims and is a big job for the average owner. Throttle Body Synch is easy if you have the meter ( or make one ) and the throttle position sensor can be checked. If the bike is running smooth now I imagine checking the valves is the only thing that would give me peace of mind. The other stuff doesn't effect reliability. Definately check the chain and sprockets, put on the new tires if needed. If the bike has not seen much off road duty I doubt it needs the new bearings. Check the bike over for loose fasteners and any thing that might be rubbing where it shouldn't. Ride and enjoy.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Congratulations

I would have to see a positive review of Maxis tires though before I put them on... I have never heard one myself.

If you have to do sprocket and chain CHANGE the cush hub bearing at the same time

·
Registered
290 Posts
Congratulations

I would have to see a positive review of Maxis tires though before I put them on... I have never heard one myself.
Maxxis is just Cheng Shin under an international name.. They have been around since the 60's and make tires for everything.. They have one of the top selling atv tires (bighorns) in this region.. I wouldn't be concerned with them as far as quality..

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I run Maxxis Desert ITs on all my dirtbikes...great tire in my opinion. I am not concerned with their quality. Plus, its free, comes with the bike....what better time to try them out! He is also giving me a slightly used set of tkc80 tires.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
other than the obvious general motorcycle stuff I usually check....is there anything specific to that strom that I need to pay attention to, listen for, etc? I am traveling a few hours away to do the final check, and hopefully bring it home.

·
Registered
290 Posts
After a little investigation it looks like Maxxis was going quit making street bike tires in 09'.. Its interesting that they still show them on their web site.. Most likely you won't find anymore (everywhere shows unavailable), but it sounds like people liked the tire..

·
Registered
290 Posts
other than the obvious general motorcycle stuff I usually check....is there anything specific to that strom that I need to pay attention to, listen for, etc?
If you listen for sounds the bike might drive you nuts.. The engine/clutch is noisy and makes interesting sounds.. Its just the nature of the beast.. As long as your oil is up and your maintenance is up to date just ride it and get familiar with the Vstrom sound.. Sometimes you may hear a little tapping or light knocking sound, the clutch growl (chudder) etc, but for the most part they are bullet proof bikes.. (This coming from a person who just put a new engine in his) ;) I had a strange failure that only one other person on the forums has had it seems.. Could have been self inflicted though..

One thing I didn't see on your list was a fork brace, with the springs and forkbrace the front suspension will feel tighter.. Sounds like you have a rather nice set up.. I love the KTM mirrors..

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
awesome guys, thanks. I just sold my FZ1 (custom european naked model)

I have been talking about a strom for about 6 months now. I am wanting a bike that I can take the wife, or the gear, and just ride. Im excited about this bike

I must be getting older/wiser....this is the bike I am coming off of. (had a sv1000s before that, several sport bikes before that)

I am more interesting in exploring Texas these days, and less interested in risking my neck on the local fast roads. I may hand in my leathers for strictly track use. Im 30, goin on 65 ;)

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts