StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm looking to buy my first bike and definitely decided on the V-Strom 650 due to the reliability, versatility, and overall performance. I've been looking for a used one to save money. My question... should I only look for a model with ABS? Those seem to be rare in my area unless I want to buy a new 2011. However, I did find a great deal on a 2007 without ABS. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If the 11 had been available without it I would have went that direction. I think it is a good thing but would not pay extra or pass up a good deal to get it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
IMO, it's very important. Important enough that I only look at bikes that have it. It is somewhat like riding gear -- it's not terribly important until you need it, you'll probably need it when you least expect and then it's really nice to have and will be worth the extra that it cost.

However, you'll probably get as many varied opinions as you get responses. Sooner or later you will have to make that decision.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
I may be blowing smoke but think I saw that it would be a requirement in Europe for 2013 or 14

I guess that presupposes that there will be an EU 2 years hence. In wonderful europe YOU have no inalienable rights so the government can make you do anything.

I am by nature a libertarian

There is a cost to doing these things. I am also very suspicious (tin foil hat) that the greens love to add to the price of vehicles knowing it will put off some buyers

I think it would be involved in about 1/3 of accidents keeping bike upright only. It is not a battleshield

So I am happy that you would have this option at a reasonable cost but would vote NAY on mandatory inclusion

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
This comes as an absolute shock to me!

I don't think it should be mandatory for anyone but new riders.
Making that work might be a little tricky.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
If it's your first bike, and you'll be riding in traffic, it might be a good thing to look for. A panic stop, locking up your brakes, then release, going into a high side and being thrown into oncoming traffic could make for a bad afternoon.That being said it is for now at least, a choice.

What's next, mandated air-bags?

well, they put airbags in cars, right? And the Honda Gold Wing? Seems I heard a story of some clueless legislator here in Oregon thinking seat belts on motorcycles would be a good idea. Typical case of another government bureaucrat, with no knowledge of the subject passing laws and restrictions on the rest of us. Let the rider decide. Does ABS have value, or benefit. I think so, and it will be on my next bike, but should we force everyone to pay the price? No.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I sold a good '04 wee to buy an equally good '07 ABS wee. No matter how many times I practice emergency braking (and emergency braking practice is important), the ABS system will determine the traction of that particular piece of pavement far faster than I can and limit the braking to that amount of traction.

Our all-road motorcycles do need a standard ABS switch, however, for dirt road riding. I don't want ABS on downhill dirt roads.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
In 2011 I would recommend that any new motorcyclist should seriously consider buying an ABS equipped bike just like I would recommend proper riding equipment and a motorcycle safety course,

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I may be blowing smoke but think I saw that it would be a requirement in Europe for 2013 or 14

I guess that presupposes that there will be an EU 2 years hence. In wonderful europe YOU have no inalienable rights so the government can make you do anything.

There is a cost to doing these things. I am also very suspicious (tin foil hat) that the greens love to add to the price of vehicles knowing it will put off some buyers

I think it would be involved in about 1/3 of accidents keeping bike upright only. It is not a battleshield

So I am happy that you would have this option at a reasonable cost but would vote NAY on mandatory inclusion
It will be 2016 and it will include all motorcycles practically, since even 50cc scooters will be enforced.
Europolitics

And I think this is a good move. Europe was always much more conscious to safety than US, not to mention Asia were the junk they produced were death traps; I remember the Subaru DL 1300-1800 cc cars that were sold in the 80s and 90s...your first accident was your last. Cars broke into two pieces.
Volvo always rode on the safety wave, but now that all cars are more or less safe in a similar manner due to regulations, they have no real charm any longer.
It is Europe with their safety mindset changed it all, and as a result all vehicles are much safer and better.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Since you specified that this purchase would be your first bike, I'd say that you would probably benefit from having ABS. That being said, I wouldn't pass up a great deal on a used non-ABS model, but I would then also STRONGLY urge you to take as many training/safety/MC handling classes as you can and once you have those under your belt, religiously practice panic stops in a safe enviroment like a parking lot. Maintaining control while acheiving minimum stopping distance is an art--a lifesaving art!

If you plan on riding your bike off-road or on less-than-perfect gravel/dirt roads, ABS is actually a handicap, altho the system can be bypassed with some ingenuity and mechanical apptitude.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
If you plan on riding your bike off-road or on less-than-perfect gravel/dirt roads, ABS is actually a handicap
That certainly was true of the last generation of ABS on bikes. But Yamaha has moved the technology forward with the ABS on the Super Tenere. I have not yet heard of anyone reporting the ABS giving them a scare on the Tenere. It has worked way better than expected for me off pavement.

That said, no, ABS should not be a legal mandate. That would be an awful development. Personally for me it is almost mandatory for any new bike that is primarily street use.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
So I guess you don't think horns, indicators, mirrors or even brakes themselves should be legally mandated either.
He didn't say no brakes he said no abs. Its not like your going to run into someone at every turn with out it. No, it should not be mandated it should be personal choice weather or not you are going to have the complexity and cost of having it on your vehicle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
abs

it may be a nice featcher i have never had a bike with it and ive had many. it might help u out. but i would not pass up a good deal because no abs:hurray:

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
So I guess you don't think horns, indicators, mirrors or even brakes themselves should be legally mandated either.
+1

:iagree:

The core failure in the 'The government does NOT tell me what to do with my bike' argument, is that a rider is not alone. More accidents mean more insurance premiums for all of us, due to medical bills related injuries, deaths, property damage, loss of work days (for rider & families) etc.

As for off-road: ABS can evolve to a smarter system that handles off-road in a more intelligent way. But if %1 of people do true off-road, you can't make the other 99% ride unsafe bikes.
"..logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.. " Mr. Spock

Let's see the what the Europeans say about that:
"
“Delaying mandatory introduction of ABS cannot be justified for reasons of availability or price,” commented the Director-General of the Brussels office of FIA, Jacob Bangsgaard. He notes that the cost of ABS is negligible compared with the total cost of a motorcycle – around 2% of the price of a 125cc vehicle – and its large-scale introduction will further reduce these costs. MEP Kerstin Westphal (Germany), who negotiated for the S&D group, shares that view: “I am strongly convinced that neither the cost of materials nor applications is exorbitantly high,” she said. Rapporteur Wim van de Camp (EPP, Netherlands) prefers to highlight the safety argument: “Seventeen percent of road casualties are motorcyclists, moped riders and scooter riders, while they account for only 2% of all traffic,” he noted.
"

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
A bike with out ABS is not unsafe exclusive to that single reason. That is your perception but that is not the truth. Does ABS help in some cases? Yes it does but you can not declare a motorcycle inherently unsafe without it. If you want laws declared based on safety and insurance claims alone you had better be prepared to park your bike. Motorcycling is unsafe compared to your car whether or not it has abs. So when the day comes the government decides to ride us of these unsafe will this bother you or will you just hand them the keys?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just to play devil's advocate I have been riding for 45 years and have owned around thirty some bikes and have yet to own one with abs. I'm still walking (knock on wood) and have been down only twice, both times due to stupidity and young age, where I thought I was 10 feet tall and bulletproof. Both were minor, and they were 40 years ago.

I have had some panic stops in real life where I had to modulate the rear brake to keep the bike under me. It is real easy to lock brakes and lose it.

Three years ago I took a basic MSF rider course with my son to get him his license. I learned some things about slow speed maneuvering that I never knew. He, of course aced it. The point I am trying to make, is, how familiar are you to riding? Is your bike an extension of yourself when you ride it? Or are you operating a machine that you have to think about your actions every second and nothing is second nature? I rode a Suzuki 250 something or other in the course. I saw guys and one girl that I still pray for every night for their safety, just in case they are still trying to ride. They belong on those 250's unless they couldn't find anything smaller.

If you are an experienced rider you can get by pretty fairly without abs and enjoy a long time of riding. You could still benefit from it, but I wouldn't consider it a deal breaker to not have it as I know the bike will be cheaper.

If you are new at this, or are uncomfortable every time you ride, then I would consider abs mandatory. It could save your life. I'll shut up now.:???:

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
I apologize in advance becasue I'm sure this will offend some people.

I think not wanting ABS (or going out of your way to find a bike without it) is stupid for the following reasons.
- The wee isn't a dirt bike, so any argument about how much ABS sucks in the dirt should start with a nice long examination of how much the wee sucks in the dirt or just be taken off the table.
- Since the wee is a street bike, ABS does not get in the way of anything. It is totally unnoticeable until the rider screws up; only then will the ABS make its presence known by saving the erring rider's butt.

I've looked at the arguments from both sides, and it just doesn't make any kind of sense to reject ABS. The anti-ABS position is undefensible.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
The fact that Eurotrash view of their Peasants Rights etc. is almost reason to be against something by definition.

The Hidden AristocraZY know you peasants should not be running around willie nilly.

They, the left, and the greens are actively trying to shut down personal transportation so you peasants stay in your hovels and if rat experiments prove reliable slow your breeding. Increasing the price of it is another incremental step.

Once they have reduced the 2 wheel population to much smaller with high expense it will be a pen stroke to take the step that motorcycling by itself is inherently dangerous and needs to be stopped.

Dear USA noobs we are a Republic where each citizen can determine what is right for them as long as it doesn't tread on the rights of others. You have an obligation to defend the liberty of your countrymen. Almost every other country has subjects just volunteer there.

Mandatory vs freedom, vote freedom

1 - 20 of 87 Posts