Strom Trooper banner

Have you purchased a centre stand for your Strom?

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An easy way to see if it should be an option is to see how many have purchased one. As someone mentioned there was a time when all motorbikes above 250cc and some below that size came standard with centre stands, so why has this changed?

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I doubt if I will ever install a center stand on my Wee. The Loobman makes chain maintenance on the road a non-issue. For less than half the price I can buy front and rear stands for my home maintenance needs.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
It is a case of your wanting a little more so you pay a little more.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I will probably get a center stand at some point when money becomes available. For now I use a ShermWorks Open Road Moto-Stand for chain maintenence etc.. It is portable, works very well and is inexpensive.

I would still prefer to use a centerstand for parking though because they seem more stable under a variety of situations than the side stand.

·
Registered
482 Posts
The poll does not necessarily reflect those who would want one. Only those who can afford the option after the purchase.

One thing to remember is if installed at the factory it would raise MSRP but not nearly as much as it cost aftermarket. There are lots of economic reasons for this. No special packaging and handling required. No need to make instructions or support tech support issues. You spread the cost out over every bike produced and not just a run for those willing to purchase the product.

·
Registered
646 Posts
My response;

Moto-stand, higher MSRP, on road oiler, etc... Have you ever repaired a flat out on the road without a centerstand?? At that point they are worth more than the $219. Suzuki gets for them! Can't drag that Moto-stand along with you. Yes they should be standard equipment on a motorcycle intended for "Adventure Riding"!

·
Registered
156 Posts

It just seemed like a good idea... I've now got a hydraulic motorcycle lift in my garage, but I still use the centerstand for chain maintenance. Oh, and it make loading the saddle bags easier.

·
Super Moderator
16,730 Posts
I feel that having an option is the best solution. Sure would be nice if they would throw it in upon purchase, or give a good discount. We are fortunate to ride a bike, that has ALLOT of options for farkles. As long as we have choices...that is the best thing! I love having a centerstand, and it would be hard for me to get used to not having one.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Suzuki subscribes to the Microsoft school of thought in their marketing approach. IF it is something that should be standard equipment, offer it as an option at twice the price it would cost to include it on every bike made or offer a marginally better version than comes with the bike ( gel seat, windshield ). All calculated to increase their profits at the expense of the good will of their customers.

Are you listening Suzuki??????

·
Registered
597 Posts
I'm not sure what you are asking...
The title asks "Should the center stand be an option?" I say yes.
The poll asks "Have you purchased a center stand for your Strom?" I say no.

I think I may have left a hanging chad as well...

·
Registered
708 Posts
i don't have one

would like to get one (short of ducets and other more 'important' farkles before that)

believe they should have them factory (my old bike did and it was indeed a nice addition)

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
I don't see the point of the poll.

A centre stand is an option. Suzuki list one in their parts catalogue.

Currently the poll is showing about 2 to 1 in favour of people who have centre stands but in my experience in the real world that is a total misrepresentation of the numbers of Stroms that are actually fitted with them. I would say that of all the Stroms I have seen (Several hundred I guess) only maybe 10% have centre stands of any sort fitted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts