StromTrooper banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new Wee rider. I love riding it. Parking and unparking it, not so much.

Getting on: I throw my leg over (this has become more difficult with the addition of panniers). Or I leave the kickstand down and climb on with the kickstand supporting the weight of the both me and the bike. I'm not real comfortable with that but it works in a nice solid level parking spot. I won't try that if the bike is not on the level or on softer dirt such that it's leaned over more than usual. And I'm not sure the kickstand is designed for that.

Stop lights/signs: I choose a gear and put my left leg down. It seems to work so far, aside from some left upper/frontal groin soreness.

Getting off: Same problem. Panniers get in the way. My hip abductor is cramping to lift my leg any higher/longer. Could maybe try the kickstand method in reverse.

Backing up: I tried rolling backwards mounted out of a slightly inclined spot, but I didn't feel I had control the way I do on a shorter bike. I can walk it (off the bike) backwards. Then I'm faced with the getting on challenge again. I could put the kickstand down again and get on using the kickstand method. Hard to look cool doing that. I thought about always backing in to spots.

I have some rear lowering links I haven't installed yet. Maybe dropping the bike an inch would help. I'm 5'5" and I can plant two big toes on the ground while seated.

Short riders, what has your experience been?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm 5'6" with a 30" inseam. Getting on and off the bike I rely heavily on having the kickstand down, then get on and off using the kickstand side peg. Stop lights I shift down to first, then either go full left foot or full right foot depending on terrain lean. I'm flat footed and the bike has a slight lean, but it's totally manageable. If I'm the only person coming to a stop sign, or there is very little traffic, I can feather the clutch well enough that I don't need to dab. A pseudo California roll. Heavy stop sign traffic I treat like a light. I entertained the thought of lowering when the bike was new to me, but have managed to change my riding style so this isn't necessary. When I change saddles for my upcoming supertour, I may end up a slightly lower than stock option.

I'm actually having a harder time finding pants =)

·
Registered
45 Posts
This is an issue for me too, but one that I take as the price for a comfy sporty ride. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam. I also usually put one foot down flat at stops, either left or right depending on the road. Looking at the road surface while coming to a stop keeps me from putting my foot down in a pothole or rut which might seriously upset my balance. Just a few inches makes a big difference when you're tiptoeing a ~500lb. bike.

I usually park my bike on the centerstand, then get on it and rock my weight forward to get it off the stand. I'd rather have the bike come off the centerstand with both my feet ready to put down.

I don't have side cases, but I do have a top box. I find that bending my knee a lot helps get on and off the bike easily. I thought about lowering the bike when I first got it, but since then have decided that I like the Wee the way it is. But if you are than uncomfortable at stop lights then I say give the lowering bones a shot. Seems like a cheap, fairly easy fix. Lots of people on hear have used them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm 5'6" 29 inch inseam. The best thing for me was to lower the bike. Lowering is one of the more inexpensive mods that can be done and well worth it. At our height the kickstand climb to get on the bike works best, it looks funny but then again so does a small guy on a big bike.:mrgreen:. I also only put one leg down when stopped. Thick soled boots help with touch down. With the bike lowered I don't have much problem with loaded panniers and 2 up riding. Stopping, parking, mounting and dismounting takes a little more thought and planning for us short guys, just the way it is. Enjoy your wee.:hurray:

·
Registered
899 Posts
I lowered our wee for my wife. I chose 5/8" of an inch because that's about all you can lower the front (to match) without interference problems with the ABS hoses. I also shaved about 1/4 inch off the seat foam.

I use the side stand all the time for on and off. Its the last thing up and the first thing down. Be aware, though, that if you shorten the bike, you may also need to shorten the kickstand. Otherwise the bike stays too close to vertical for comfort.

Rather than cut and weld the side stand, I followed a suggestion that I saw here and took a mini grinder to the stops on the side stand. Now my side stand swings forward about two inches further and the bike is healed over to its normal angle again. I'm very happy with this subtle mod (I only took about 2mm off the stops and left about 7mm of steel).

You can also cut down the rectangular rubber blocks on the bottom of the seat (there are four) and gain another 1/4", while still leaving enough rubber to pad the seat contact with the frame.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
You don't have to be short to have short legs.

I go 72", but only have 30" inseam.

I really don't think that it's a good idea to mount using the footpeg while the bike is on the side stand. But do what you think is ok, no worries...

It's really not an issue to stand slightly away from the bike and kick the right foot toward the seat while taking a slight hop towards the bike. The left calf lands on the seat or beyond as you continue to move toward the bike. It all kind of happens in one movement...

·
Registered
88 Posts
6', 220#. I've used the footpeg to mount for a few years. Worst case...I might have to buy a new/used kickstand bracket in a few more years . Put a bigger foot on the kickstand so it does not sink in soft stuff, mine is a scrap of HDPE.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
30" inseam here. I just got used to it. When stopped I will flat foot one or the other. I also just swing my leg up and over, practice makes perfect there. I would not get on the bike with side stand down. I saw my dads ktm go toppling over when his kickstand gave way from climbing it that way. If my inseam was 28" or so I would consider lowering the wee, but it's very manageable for me and I've gotten used to it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
30" inseam here. The first few weeks of owning my first Wee I felt pretty unstable. But after owning one for a while you get comfortable putting 1 foot down at stops.

My bike is in a 1 car garage with a car in it...so I have the bike parked on the left side of the garage so it leans towards the wall and not the car. When I get on, I leave it on the side stand and get on the OPPOSITE side. It takes some practice but it works lol. DEFINATELY not a MSF approved procedure.

One thing you MUST be careful of (and i almost dropped my bike because of this when i first got it) is you MUST watch the camber of the road when you come to a full stop. If you put your left foot down and there is a "small hole" or the road is significantly titled that direction...you can still hold the bike up (because it isn't a heavy bike) but you're going to quickly have an uncomfortable feeling because your foot isn't going to feel the ground when it expects to. Long story short, put the foot down that is closest to the ground.

I see no problem leaving the kick stand down while getting on...i do this, but I don't do it the way you do. I just get a running start and throw my leg over....however, when my wife is getting on the back..i typically put the kick stand down so that it is easier to manage the bike while she is getting on....i don't think it's going to break...but if it does..the safety (and not dropping my bike) was well worth it.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I recently had the sidestand disassembled to grind down the stop tabs. Those parts are definitely not aluminum. I think you'd have to pick the bike up and drop it on the sidestand to break it.

Always make sure that your sidestand is well planted on a loose surface. I carry a hockey puck cut sliced in half to reduce thickness to put under the foot. I also carry a round steel cover from a wiring junction box for the same purpose. I use it when I park on grass etc. while camping.

·
Registered
43 Posts
30" inseam here. I just got used to it. When stopped I will flat foot one or the other. I also just swing my leg up and over, practice makes perfect there. I would not get on the bike with side stand down. I saw my dads ktm go toppling over when his kickstand gave way from climbing it that way. If my inseam was 28" or so I would consider lowering the wee, but it's very manageable for me and I've gotten used to it.
This. I'm 5'6" with 30" inseam and I just dirtbike straddle that bitch.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I am another 30" -5'6" humanoid. I got rid of the 3/4" lowering kit after bottoming out a few times with the shock going through my spine and got tired of scraping my boots in the twisties. I am really uncomfortable having to back up pushing on my tip toes barely. I was ready to trade bikes (triumph 800 just to get the lower inch) but have just installed the Elka shock ([email protected] :hurray:) which is adjustable. No results to report yet as I have tennis elbow and cannot pull the clutch handle without screaming in pain. I hope it works.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm 5'8" with about a 30" inseam. I have a top box which I regularly kick if I'm being lazy or just tired. I always mount up with the bike on the sidestand and left foot on the ground. Dismount is the reverse. I'm not too proud to grab the bottom of my right pantleg on occasion and help the boot clear everything. This was an absolute necessity on my 1000, especially with my sheepskin on the seat for road trips. (I couldn't back the 1000 up from the saddle). At stoplights I like to keep the brakelight illuminated, so I always hit 1st when slowing down, put my left foot down and keep the rear brake activated with my right foot.

·
Registered
268 Posts
5'8"/30" inseam here. The ideal solution for me was to bring my riding footwear to the shoemaker and to have him vulcanize a 7/8" thick sole under the shoe. Peg lowering kit and adjustments to the shifter and the rear brake pedal to accommodate the thicker soles completed the package. And being 5'9" opens up a whole new world:mrgreen:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I lowered my Wee 1 inch front and back, using Soupy's double-threaded lowering links in the back, and slipping the fork tube up a bit in the front. I like it so far. It's still tall. It's still hard to walk in reverse while seated. I'm still doing it off the bike.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts