StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to have both my forks and my rear shock rebuilt by Sasquatch in Idaho, and called my local dealership to get a rate on removing them from the bike, storing it for up to a week (tops) and then installing the rebuilt parts back on the bike.

They quoted me 2 hours of shop time to remove the forks and rear shock, and 2 hours to put them back on the bike.

(I don't have any workspace or storage space to do any of the work myself.)

Does that estimate sound right?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Does that include storage for the week? If so then it sounds like a good deal

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does that include storage for the week? If so then it sounds like a good deal
Yes. I've seen the shop (I've been going there exclusively since I bought the bike new in 2007) and they have plenty of room.

FYI, my bike is a 2007 DL650 non-ABS.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Kinda long on the removal part but overall not bad. They're probably taking into account the storage, moving the bike in and out of the shop, paperwork, talking with you, blah, blah, blah. If it was me working in my garage, I can have the forks off in 1/2 hr and the shock in about the same. Installation always takes longer but not by much.

Make sure they set your sag before you leave with the bike. Wear your normal riding gear. You can guestimate the sag for when you're loaded up. More then likely, you'll want to max out the shock and leave the forks where they are when loaded. Another option and the better answer is to check your sag with and without your travel kit.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kinda long on the removal part but overall not bad. They're probably taking into account the storage, moving the bike in and out of the shop, paperwork, talking with you, blah, blah, blah. If it was me working in my garage, I can have the forks off in 1/2 hr and the shock in about the same. Installation always takes longer but not by much.

Make sure they set your sag before you leave with the bike. Wear your normal riding gear. You can guestimate the sag for when you're loaded up. More then likely, you'll want to max out the shock and leave the forks where they are when loaded. Another option and the better answer is to check your sag with and without your travel kit.
Thanks for the feedback. They want $200 to remove and $200 to install. No specific charge for storage. Thanks for the suggestion on setting the sag while I'm there.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Set the sag at 40 mm front & rear. You don't change the front when a passenger or heavy luggage is carried--that's all on the rear. If you get a new rear spring to match your load, you'll want to know the setting for both solo and 2-up. If you use the stock spring, for 2-up just crank it up all the way.

Sag is how much the bike sets down on the suspension from no load (tire in the air) to the loaded-for-travel rider on it. Pre-load is the position of the spring mounting point, and that is how we set the sag.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts