StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a hair during a rainy day a few weeks back pricing out shelf brackets for my GPS. I have a newly updated 2597LMT and after looking at a few shelves on the open market (WOW):surprise: decided to make my own for the DL. I had some 3/32 aluminum plate and thought that would just about the right strength to form over the slight curvature in front of the instrument cluster that flows under the masthead mounts for the windscreen. Made a template, bent the plate over 4" pvc drilled holes and measured for the steel plate that would make the actual shelf where the ramp ball would fit over the instrument panel. The plate and the shelf both are rubber mounted. Took about 3 r & r mountings to get it all lined up but so far after a few test rides I'm pretty ok with it.:smile2:

I have it set up for either power source not hard wired, just for easier r & r. I got all the mount stuff for the 2597 @ gpscity, good place to go... excellent customer service. I have a mag base or the ram ball bolt and added a glarestomper which helps in the sunshine...

I've used maps for years so this will just help old folks find eats and motels in unknown areas because the 2597 don't talk to head sets...:frown2:

Ride and be safe...EJ

Attachments

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Dude!

When do you start production on 2014+ 1000?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Nicely done! Put me on the list...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nice! many of us aren't that clever. I just ordered a gps mount from AdventureTech, LLC. - Home to mount my mobius cam behind the windsheild out of the bug stream, at least that's the plan.

Well I wouldn't sell your self short. You're riding a motorcycle!:yesnod: Really if you don't you should have all or most of your faculties which means between your eyes telling your brain what's going on, most of the rest of you're response is almost 2nd nature, i.e. eye-hand coordination.

Skills come with practice, many years ago I hated metallurgy. After high school shop and being a helicopter mechanic in the Army, and a automotive line mechanic, now I kind-of look forward to the challenge, truth be told on this build, that template I mentioned was my 1st attempt at a mount plate but I tried plexiglass which turned out to be a fricken disaster. So knowing what I had in the shop metal pile I picked that aluminum plate and used the plexiglass as the template.

EJ

·
Registered
347 Posts
While we're on the subject of self-made GPS holders, I'll show off mine.

Bar is a PVC pipe with caps. GPS cradle is attached with "P" clamps. The mounting bracket is made from corner braces.

When I first made it, I had a bit of an issue with vibration. I filled the bar with BBs for extra weight and mounted the cradle as close to the bar as possible to keep the weight as close to the dash as possible.

Reactions: Warhead and V-Harry

·
2015 DL650
153 Posts
While we're on the subject of self-made GPS holders, I'll show off mine.

Bar is a PVC pipe with caps. GPS cradle is attached with "P" clamps. The mounting bracket is made from corner braces.

When I first made it, I had a bit of an issue with vibration. I filled the bar with BBs for extra weight and mounted the cradle as close to the bar as possible to keep the weight as close to the dash as possible.

I am always impressed by the enginuity of the group. A great idea I may have to try myself.

·
Vendor
5,252 Posts

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
I just added a Ram ball to the Madstad bracket and it works great as the GPS mount for my Versys-X 300. No need to fabricate anything IMO. It has been solid for thousands of miles. Of course you do need a Madstad WS or at least the bracket which are great for eliminating buffeting. Kill two birds with one stone.

Reactions: senoje

·
Registered
320 Posts
I did something similar where i installed my phone ball mount between the Madstad bracket and the fairing. It's pretty adjustable for either horizontal or vertical positioning.

The mount is wired to a switched circuit on my Eastern Beaver 3 circuit block.

Relax and have a homebrew.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts