StromTrooper banner

Shop labor costs in your market?

4539 Views 64 Replies 28 Participants Last post by  OnTwo
Hi! Long-time member, but been awhile since I posted anything.

I just got the chain and sprockets replaced on my 2009 DL-650A at my local dealer.
I'd already purchased the Suzuki OEM "Drive Chain Kit" so the only expense was labor (and some cheap "shop supplies").

Any guesses how much it cost?

I'll save you the suspense: it was $475.

I know labor costs have gone up, but not too long ago I remember the rates at this shop (in Falls Church, VA, USA) were around $55/hr.
For this job, the labor rate was $160/hr, which included a $10/hr surcharge for "bikes over 10 years old."

What's an average cost/hr. for shop labor in your market? Has anyone noticed the rates TRIPLING in their area?

And before all the comments come to derail this thread – No, I couldn't do it myself; I live in a condo and have neither the place nor the tools to do this job.
There's an independent shop that's a bit of a drive and I could've had the work done there, but they're all booked up so I figured I'd just go to the Suzuki dealer who's close by. I mean, how much could it possibly cost?

Now I know.
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

· Registered
1,074 Posts
1) Always get an estimate, in writing, before a job. In Ohio where I use to live and work a customer is legally entitled to a written bid before a job is started. The total coast of the job can be lower than the bid but it can not be more than 10% higher without the customer giving their written consent to allow that. This is sometimes covered by a "hidden" damage clause on jobs where one may not know the full extent without first taking the thing apart.
2) High shop costs: The cost seems very high but one has to remember the cost of the building, taxes, heat, upkeep, the cost of the office help and parts people to support the repair area, etc. I both ran my own shop and later taught a college management course in the automotive area and students were shocked at the actual costs to maintain and operate a shop.
3) $475 to replace a chain and sprocket? As they say, "Down home".......That ain't right!.

· Registered
61 Posts
Surcharge of 10$ for motorcycles older than 10 years ?
Is that really on the bill !
Never heard of or seen it
I always have the bike serviced at the dealer
There is an environmental charge of 7 € for everyone.
Even the coffee and cake is not on the bill

· Premium Member
4,191 Posts

I just got the chain and sprockets replaced on my 2009 DL-650A at my local dealer.
I'd already purchased the Suzuki OEM "Drive Chain Kit" so the only expense was labor (and some cheap "shop supplies").

I know labor costs have gone up, but not too long ago I remember the rates at this shop (in Falls Church, VA, USA) were around $55/hr.
For this job, the labor rate was $160/hr, which included a $10/hr surcharge for "bikes over 10 years old."

What's an average cost/hr. for shop labor in your market? Has anyone noticed the rates TRIPLING in their area?

And before all the comments come to derail this thread – No, I couldn't do it myself; I live in a condo and have neither the place nor the tools to do this job.
There's an independent shop that's a bit of a drive and I could've had the work done there, but they're all booked up so I figured I'd just go to the Suzuki dealer who's close by. I mean, how much could it possibly cost?

Now I know.
Sweetbabyjezus

...sorry for your loss

Seriously, next time, see if an inmate here that lives close by will help you out. I would have no problem teaching someone how to change chain/sprockets. Might cost you a pint of stout though....

· Premium Member
4,191 Posts
I don't object to $120/hour.

I do object to paying 4 hours for a 30 minute job. That would immediately put that shop into the "Not to be trusted" basket.
Sprockets and chain in 30 min? No way could I do it that fast....more like 2 hrs for me, but I take my time.

· Premium Member
3,612 Posts
Sprockets and chain in 30 min? No way could I do it that fast....more like 2 hrs for me, but I take my time.
Could be easily done in 15 minutes with a screw link or clip link.

· Premium Member
3,612 Posts
Not including the sprockets.....
Sure. If you include the sprockets maybe 30 minutes-45 minutes if you are trying to get it done and have the proper tools

· Registered
5,335 Posts
I'll agree if you have a lift and all the tools laid out it's not a long project. Crawling around on the garage floor trying to make a pair of channel locks and hammer work it'll take longer.

Screw type links are a real dogsend. No press or rivet tool needed. Just a socket or open-end wrench and a minute or two and D.U.N.

The OP is not terribly far from me. If he wants to ride up here, I'll do chain and sprocket swaps, tire changes and other routine maintenance for 1/2 of what the dealership charged (and still feel bad)

· Registered
2007 dl650 v strom
67 Posts

Now I know.
G'day from the land down under. Since my nearest bikeshop is a five hour round trip away, I have no idea what they charge. I buy DID chain in a box along with a rivet link. A $30 chain breaker trims it to length. A $50 tool rivets it together. A one time only purcase and use over and over. If I can do it, anyone can.

· Registered
37 Posts
$110 hr at my local dealer.

$475 buys a lot of nice tools... 😁
I wish 475 bought "a lot of nice tools".:LOL:
I'm going broke with new tools I need for work. 1 torque wrench 229$ 1 3/4 socket 37$
Though 475 would buy a nice set of metrics for just doing work on the bike including a few specialty tools.
$10hr surcharge for bikes over 10yrs old I can understand.
Last time I was in the stealership labor rate was 140usd.

· Registered
4,511 Posts
I wish 475 bought "a lot of nice tools".:LOL:
I'm going broke with new tools I need for work. 1 torque wrench 229$ 1 3/4 socket 37$
Though 475 would buy a nice set of metrics for just doing work on the bike including a few specialty tools.
$10hr surcharge for bikes over 10yrs old I can understand.
Last time I was in the stealership labor rate was 140usd.
Let me guess Snap-On?

· Registered
37 Posts
I especially like the $10 surcharge for a bike that is XYZ years old. What does this $10 magically do other than provide another way for the dealership to gouge the customer? I mean if the bike is old, and the fasteners are corroded and break while the dealer is wrenching on them the owner of the bike is still going to pay for how many hours it takes to fix what broke.
I have to work on all types of industrial material handling equipment and can completely understand the surcharge on older machines. Just removing screws and bolts can be a real chore as steel and aluminum don't get along well at that age and breakage is common due to the metals bonding from galvanic action. All bikes and quads I work on get anti seize on the hardware.

· Registered
1,074 Posts
I always told my automotive students, "New vehicles are MUCH easier to work on than old ones....". You know why....if not, look up.

· Registered
5,543 Posts
I have to work on all types of industrial material handling equipment and can completely understand the surcharge on older machines. Just removing screws and bolts can be a real chore as steel and aluminum don't get along well at that age and breakage is common due to the metals bonding from galvanic action. All bikes and quads I work on get anti seize on the hardware.
Sure, if you are quoting up front that's fair.

Charging by the hour not so fair, probably technically illegal because of the double billing.

Pete

· Registered
2015 Vstrom 1000
86 Posts
Sure, if you are quoting up front that's fair.

Charging by the hour not so fair, probably technically illegal because of the double billing.

Pete
If something goes sideways in a job at my work, if the tech can properly document it. Customer gets billed above the book time.

· Registered
2007 dl650 v strom
67 Posts
I am hearing you mate. The last year or so everyrhing has gone up in price. Around here they blame the covid haha. Anyhow I got a few bikes so the tools get plenty of use so well worth having them on hand. Happy trails.

· Registered
2014 V Strom 650
204 Posts
Well its tough for anyone in business or employed these days. Our inflation is out of control. However we will learn to adjust / adapt or now longer survive. Being self employed for 40 years and lived carefully the future is still uncertain. I do all my own work and garden, can my harvest, raise small and large anamals, live off the grid. Hopefully our economy can stabilize . Well excuse me if got off topic.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts